Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

98 Sport 1st gear Trans Problem Help

Old 06-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
The_Real_Doc
Calgary,Canada
98 Xplorer Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
98 Sport 1st gear Trans Problem Help

Hi, I am hopeing someone can help me out please.

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 2 Dr Sport 4x4 with 4.0L SOHC I believe, and If I am correct it has a 5R55E Automatic O/D Transmission?

Well here is my problem, I was parked on the side of the road talking on my cellphone, I ended my call and was to drive off and I heard a noise and my explorer would not move, just barely it would try as it seems to be slipping i can hear a slight wind.
I was like ohh noooo. So I try it in 1st no go, 2nd gear it actualy does drive just fine and will switch to drive gear no problem after moving.
If I am in drive or 1st gear at a dead stop it will just slip and try to move and will barely pull forward as its slipping.The explorer works in reverse no problem and 2nd gear and will go to drive and overdrive as I shift once I am moving, but it will not start in drive or 1st gear.

I dont believe its the bands as all seems fine but 1st gear.I have read alot and am to believe reverse and 1st work together but I have reverse, and I am to think it has to do with a stuck solenoid? maybe the bracket or the solenoid itself? or servo or valvebody.

Does anyone know or had a similar problem like this.I have been driving my explorer for over 1000k like this starting off in 2nd gear and manually shifting to drive after I get moving.Its getting to be a real incovenience, especially when someone needs to borrow my SUV and I have to explain how to drive it
I am very mechanically inclined and am ready to pull the pan anytime now. So if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what to look for I would be very greatfull.It was too cold before to pull it apart and I have a few vehicles so I never got around to fixing it untill now.
Please help me if you have any knowledge in this area.

Thanks in advance.
Brent

Last edited by The_Real_Doc; 07-22-2009 at 02:53 AM.
The_Real_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
The_Real_Doc
Calgary,Canada
98 Xplorer Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Bump, anybody?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
rastt1
Trnava Slovakia
Explorer 4.0 SOHC 97

Vehicle Specs

Hallo
My name is Rasto.I have this problem too.I have Explorer 97 and trans.5R55E.
I rebuilt trans.and problem have forewer.I am very mechanically too but I need help.Advice me when you strike upon an idea.
rastt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
rastt1
Trnava Slovakia
Explorer 4.0 SOHC 97

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Real_Doc View Post
Bump, anybody?
HALLO
Whats you problem look like?Have you any solution on your Explorer?

Last edited by rastt1; 07-25-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #5
The_Real_Doc
Calgary,Canada
98 Xplorer Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastt1 View Post
HALLO
Whats you problem look like?Have you any solution on your Explorer?
Hi, Sorry no info still from anybody, I was going to try the junkyard and try to replace the valvebody, solenoids and servo and see if anything changes.
So far no replies about it at all.
I wish somebody could help as to me why I have no low gear, it just whines a little and slowly pulls like its slipping, but as I said reverse and all other gears work perfect.Let me know too if you find any information.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2009, 01:16 AM   #6
The_Real_Doc
Calgary,Canada
98 Xplorer Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Hi, I am hopeing someone can help me out please.

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 2 Dr Sport 4x4 with 4.0L SOHC I believe, and If I am correct it has a 5R55E Automatic O/D Transmission?

Well here is my problem, I was parked on the side of the road talking on my cellphone, I ended my call and was to drive off and I heard a noise and my explorer would not move, just barely it would try as it seems to be slipping i can hear a slight wind.
I was like ohh noooo. So I try it in 1st no go, 2nd gear it actualy does drive just fine and will switch to drive gear no problem after moving.
If I am in drive or 1st gear at a dead stop it will just slip and try to move and will barely pull forward as its slipping.The explorer works in reverse no problem and 2nd gear and will go to drive and overdrive as I shift once I am moving, but it will not start in drive or 1st gear.

I dont believe its the bands as all seems fine but 1st gear.I have read alot and am to believe reverse and 1st work together but I have reverse, and I am to think it has to do with a stuck solenoid? maybe the bracket or the solenoid itself? or servo or valvebody.

Does anyone know or had a similar problem like this.I have been driving my explorer for over 1000k like this starting off in 2nd gear and manually shifting to drive after I get moving.Its getting to be a real incovenience, especially when someone needs to borrow my SUV and I have to explain how to drive it
I am very mechanically inclined and am ready to pull the pan anytime now. So if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what to look for I would be very greatfull.It was too cold before to pull it apart and I have a few vehicles so I never got around to fixing it untill now.
Please help me if you have any knowledge in this area.

Thanks in advance.
Brent
Monthly Bump
Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
The_Real_Doc
Calgary,Canada
98 Xplorer Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Monthly Bump
Bump
Old 10-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
rastt1
Trnava Slovakia
Explorer 4.0 SOHC 97

Vehicle Specs

[Quote = The_Real_Doc; 2315896] Bump [/ quote]

Insert one stell plate into forward clutch.

Last edited by rastt1; 11-01-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
99robert02
NEPA
97XLT

Vehicle Specs

i need help with this same exact problem!!! have you gotten any help, or fixed this problem yet?
99robert02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
No actual 2nd gear

I am not knowledgeable on transmissions but I do know that the 5R55E is very similar to the 4R55E and does not actually have a specific 2nd gear. The ratio obtained when selecting 2nd (1.47:1) is provided by engaging both 1st gear (2.47:1) and overdrive (0.75:1). Since you can drive in 2nd with no problems, I would guess that there are no mechanical problems with either 1st or overdrive. I suspect that you have a control problem. It is probably not the shift selector since it acts like the PCM knows that it is in Drive or 1st. I would think that the solenoid to engage 1st would also be used in 2nd. You need help from someone that knows the control system.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Helpful links

The following links may be helpful:

TSB 03-22-10 No First Gear Braking 5R55E

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/58...ck-here-5.html
Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
The_Real_Doc
Calgary,Canada
98 Xplorer Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000StreetRod View Post
I am not knowledgeable on transmissions but I do know that the 5R55E is very similar to the 4R55E and does not actually have a specific 2nd gear. The ratio obtained when selecting 2nd (1.47:1) is provided by engaging both 1st gear (2.47:1) and overdrive (0.75:1). Since you can drive in 2nd with no problems, I would guess that there are no mechanical problems with either 1st or overdrive. I suspect that you have a control problem. It is probably not the shift selector since it acts like the PCM knows that it is in Drive or 1st. I would think that the solenoid to engage 1st would also be used in 2nd. You need help from someone that knows the control system.
Thanks for the time to help, and have interest in this thread.
As of today i still have this problem, I just replaced a new updated all parts valve body from central valvebodies.
The old valve body had no gasket tear problems, did notice the EPC solenoid bracket was cracked.I installed new valve body, new trans oil, and filter.
It did nothing.I put it in drive its like neutral, I put manually in 1st and it pulls a little slipping excessivly.I start in second gear and all is fine to drive through the rest of the gears.Reverse works perfect.

I just do not get it, I guess I am in for a rebuild or and different transmission.
The links above I allready read, they helped me for information but not progress.
Nobody has a answer for the 1st gear in the 5r55e problem. I can not figure it out, and what a pain to replace the transmission. I have 171,000 kms on it.probably drove 15,000 kms with starting off in second gear, I am tired of it.I just did the M0012 intake/chain tensioner update and that worked perfect, no more cold start idle problems.Just wish the transmission valve body would have fixed my other main problem.

So to those with the same problems, I can not address at this time or maybe ever how to fix it or what it is?
All I know is that it totally sucks when this happens, its not fun manually shifting the SUV 4x4 everywhere I go.

rastt1 ,( Insert one stell plate into forward clutch.)

you mentioned this in a earlier post, I am not understanding what you mean, did you fix this problem and what exactly was it if you did.?

Thanks all, thats my update and progress I have as of today.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
vinny3k

Vehicle Specs

Did anyone find a solution to this problem i have just ran into this problem with my 98 ford explorer XLT drive is neutral and so is first gear second gear works and then after like 15 mph i can put it back into drive every other gear works except for first gear. Let me know if anyone found a solution to this problem.

thanks!
vinny3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Transmission control switch

I've puzzled over the no first gear problem for some time and happened on a possible source while reviewing my wiring diagrams. The digital transmission range (DTR) sensor contains 4 single pole 6 position switches that allow the PCM to determine the shift selector position by a short to ground binary code. When the selector is in Drive none of the switches are grounded. In Park all of the switches are grounded. The transmission control switch (TCS) is a momentary contact switch that signals the PCM to allow automatic shifts from 1st thru 5th or 1st thru 4th for the 5R55E and 1st thru 4th or 1st thru 3rd for the 4R70W. The switch is located near the steering column and receives power from fuse 27 (15 amps) in the central junction box. It just might be possible that if the fuse is blown or the switch is defective the PCM is not programmed to do anything as far as gear selection.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

No change

Well I pulled fuse 27 from the central junction box to see what impact (if any) it might have on the transmission shifting. Even though the fuse powers both the TCS and the DTR sensor I did not detect any changes in the shifting on my 2000 Sport. However, the results may not be the same for other year models.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
explorer1998
Birmingham, AL
'98 4.0 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Trasmission Problem?

i have recently had a problem with shifting into 1st gear and overdrive. Last week the problem was fixed by replacing a fuse. now i have a different problem, now i cannot go into any gear but 2nd, including reverse, if i do shift into another gear my car will start whining and act like i am trying to drive in Neutral. UNLESS it is in 2nd Gear, if someone has any ideas on how to fix it please let me know
explorer1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #17
The_Real_Doc
Calgary,Canada
98 Xplorer Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Bump

Bump,

Guess nobody has figured this problem out for the 5r55e.
Will have to replace with a low mile used one I guess.
Thanks for the help with those who tried..

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page