Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

1993 Explorer XLT starter/solenoid problem?

Old 06-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
djclo
Joplin, MO
1993 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
1993 Explorer XLT starter/solenoid problem?

I have a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L with automatic transmission. The odomoter reads approx. 104k miles, although the vehicle title states it is void due to the vehicle having been wrecked and a different motor was installed. There is a heavy-duty toggle switch for the starter with 10 gauge wiring. Just recently, the car became very difficult to start and keep running. I cleaned and replaced battery terminals and the battery is less than 1 yr. old. When it starts, it runs fine for about 30-60 seconds then begins sputtering and dies, then is impossible to start for a period of time. I noticed the smell of burning wire coming from the starter/solenoid, and the solenoid was extremely hot when i got underneath the car to check it out. Sometimes after an hour or two it will almost start again, but usually fails. Had the battery recharged and checked plus the alternator checked and both were ok, according to Auto Zone.
Was planning a 600-mile trip to visit children this Saturday...any helpful tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm desperate!!
djclo is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! Why was a toggle switch installed instead of having it start the usually way with a key? It's possible that the wiring is no good.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
djclo
Joplin, MO
1993 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thank you for the welcome and response!
The vehicle actually needs the key to start...the key must be turned all the way as if to start, and then the toggle is used. I was told that the column switch couldn't be properly aligned when it was repaired (i'm guessing by an inexperienced mechanic!) which is why it requires the toggle.
djclo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
BrianDye
Michigan
2009 Edge Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hm, not to sure about your problem, im not the best with engines, but wouldnt you just be able to buy a new ignition to fix the switch problem?

Thats probably an under-rated switch for the starters amperage...

Old 08-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
uptownrockstar
brooklyn
04 XLT

Vehicle Specs

hey, sorry but IMHO I would say the alternator or the connections running on it. happen to a lexus i had, the dam alternator was built into the enigine so i couldnt change it myself. hope it goes well

8 inch self powered bazooka sub.
uptownrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page