Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

power window motor removal?

Old 06-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
red.EDDIE.4x4
Tulsa, Oklahoma
'93 Eddie Bauer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
power window motor removal?

hey guys, my power windows on my 93 Eddie Bauer are not working quite right. when i push the button to go up or down all i hear is a clicking noise and sometimes the window goes up or down and sometimes it doesnt. i know the motor is turning because i can feel it. most of the time i end up hitting the button and pulling it up. i figured it must be a gear on the motor that is either stripped out or missing teeth. but when i went to take it out i only can take out one bolt. the rest of whats holding the motor in are rivets.
so is there a way for me to take it out? or am i gonna have to take it into a shop? any suggestions?
red.EDDIE.4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...t=window+motor
techieman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
red.EDDIE.4x4
Tulsa, Oklahoma
'93 Eddie Bauer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thanks! that helped alot on the rear windows.
but what about the front windows? same type of thing? because all i see are rivets...
Old 06-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
yeah it's basically the same for the fronts, you have to drill the rivets out, and then put new rivets in, or bolt them in.
techieman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Titan09
Southeast Georgia
'93 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No...you do not,

I repeat...DO NOT!!!!!!!! need to drill out the rivets if all you are doing is replacing the motor. I just completed this project on my '93 Sport.

You have to drill out one of the dimples in the door (it's covered up by the lower left part of the speaker mount, so you'll be able to see it when you take out the speaker) with a 1/2" drill bit to expose the third screw. Take out the screws, and the motor drops out. The two other screws are behind holes that are just to the left of the speaker. Re-installation is the same thing in reverse.

It's a delicate operation...It's a lot tougher getting the motor re-installed, but it will align itself once you tighten down all the screws. The rivets have nothing to do with mounting the motor, and you'll make the project a lot harder than it has to be if you just need to replace the motor.
Titan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
red.EDDIE.4x4
Tulsa, Oklahoma
'93 Eddie Bauer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thanks guys! titan was right about the little dimple. all went well. only drawback was that the little bushings were 9 bucks a set
Old 06-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Titan09
Southeast Georgia
'93 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Well, at least you didn't have to spend $50 for a new motor, like I did...heh
Titan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:00 AM   #8
dansnyder22
Elite Explorer
Ogden, Utah

1993 XLT, 5 speed

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.EDDIE.4x4 View Post
thanks guys! titan was right about the little dimple. all went well. only drawback was that the little bushings were 9 bucks a set
ohhh nine bucks, let me cry for you

Upside down and on fire - A situation to be avoided
dansnyder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
red.EDDIE.4x4
Tulsa, Oklahoma
'93 Eddie Bauer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
i was expecting them to be more like 5 or so.

Last edited by red.EDDIE.4x4; 10-08-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
mfreedog
maysville,Ky
1999 xlt

Vehicle Specs

I had trouble with my drivers side motor and I took the motor out plugged it in and it started working. I greased the rails and it took off fine and so far so good.
mfreedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
92exp4x4
Elite Explorer
Covington, Kentucky

92 XL 2-door and others

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did you buy the HELP brand part? I have always ordered a gear kit from ford for a full size truck (87-91). Its about $25 per kit, but it comes with a tube of grease and a new center gear. The white plastic one is the only difference.

Whats the HELP part number if you have it?

Others - '22 Model T, '48 8N tractor, '62 Fairlane 500, '93 F-Superduty 460, '97 F250 Powerstroke, '04 F550 service truck (company owned)
92exp4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
o' dannyboy
big apple
'93 xlt

Vehicle Specs

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...t=window+motor

My window froze in the down position. The switch activated a clicking sound in the door but the window would not budge. The switch seemed to work but the motor seemed shot.

If you think it's the motor DO NOT REMOVE THE REGULATOR!!! You don't need to in order to replace the motor. The motor comes out independent of the regulator. No rivet drilling, no replacement bolts or any of that!!! If it's not the regulator - leave it alone except to lubricate it!!

Drilling the 1/2" hole is no big deal but do not go too far, be gentle, the bolt is right there. (Ford™, PLEASE HELP US UNDERSTAND WHY THE DIMPLE AND NOT A HOLE???)

Remove the speaker and all the mysteries of the inner door are revealed. You can see the motor and get your hand in there to remove it.

For me, prior to installing the new motor, I removed the old motor, plugged in the new motor to test it and discovered it worked fine. And then, for the hell of it, I plugged in the old motor while it was out to test it. IT WORKED FINE, TOO!!!

I generously lubricated the regulator tracks with lithium grease and sprayed some Tri-Flow™ into pivot points, reinstalled the OLD motor and ran it for a good quarter hour; up and down, down and up - works like a charm!!! Better than before! Maybe a loose connection or a rusty joint or track??? Who knows?

Took the new motor back to AutoZone®!

Net cost: $0.
o' dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
first gen, power windows, window motor

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page