Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

How to change SPARK PLUGS on a 4.6L V-8

Old 07-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #21
02MANNY!
Mountain Home, Idaho
02 Eddie Bauer 4.6

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok Guys...changed all my plugs on my 4.6 and it was EASY!! Thanks After I figured out that the small round thing by the injector was the coil and I removed the first one the rest was history.
I removed the air box all the way out from the TB and that was the only thing I had to move out of the way. I changed all the plugs and boots and put plenty of the special electric grease on the wire that goes inside the boots. NOTE: make sure you press the wire onto the coil firmly till it snaps in place. I used my air nozzle on the compressor and it worked great to remove all the grime around and inside the plug and I made sure it was clean by using a flashlight and a mirror before removing them!!
I have not started the truck yet cause I want to change the fuel filter but now I have to do a search on how to undo the two lines with the red cilp on the hose!!
02MANNY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #22
zerodevil
Anchorage, AK
2003 XLT V8.

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i just did mine 2 months ago. Its pretty easy, there is a little lever on those red clips that you just slide so that the red piece of plastic expand around hte lip on the filter. then just kinda pull it off carefully...be sure to drain the fuel system as best you can (can be acompleshed via fuze removal). Wear safety glasses and clothes you dont mind ruining, you WILL get some gas on you. I can asure you its worth changing, the color of hte stuff i poured out was almost black...nasty stuff.
zerodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #23
02MANNY!
Mountain Home, Idaho
02 Eddie Bauer 4.6

Vehicle Specs

got the 2 red clips off the fuel filter but my plastic tool for the other line is not working...will have to go see if I can find the metal one.

Can anyone tell me where the PCV valve is?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #24
SyberTiger
Orlando
2002 Limited 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Dudes...this thread is about changing sparkplugs on a 4.6L V-8 not a place to ask how to replace or rebuild everything in your engine. Just start a new thread if you have an off topic question. Plenty of people will jump in and help. For your Fuel Filter look here for all the glorious details.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #25
02MANNY!
Mountain Home, Idaho
02 Eddie Bauer 4.6

Vehicle Specs

started the X and she is as smooth as she was the day I drove her out of the dealer in 2002!!
by the way, thanks for the link on the fuel filter...I was reading it at the same time I made my last post...I have been working on a full tune up for the last 2 days and doing a lot of research on the basic stuff.
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Elite Explorer Special Offer!! -- Join between Nov 28 - Dec 5, 2014 and get two years for the price of one. That's right just $20 for a two yearElite Explorer membership. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #26
EasyRhino
Kailua, Hawai'i
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02MANNY! View Post
started the X and she is as smooth as she was the day I drove her out of the dealer in 2002!!
by the way, thanks for the link on the fuel filter...I was reading it at the same time I made my last post...I have been working on a full tune up for the last 2 days and doing a lot of research on the basic stuff.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #27
billonion
Burnsville, MN
2002 Explorer Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

spark plug change 2002 4.6 X LTD

I've been debating whether to change my own spark plugs or send it off to the dealer. After reading all of the success stories in this thread, I think I may try it myself (I am very handy, I just hate working on these new cars). I have to go to the dealer tonight anyway and pick up a DPFE (P1400 code), maybe I'll pick up some spark plugs while I am there. Thanks all.

oNioN
2002 V8 X lmtd wht/slvr
billonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #28
JW
Valencia, CA
2003 Limited 4x4 4.6L

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't changed the plugs on my Explorer, but compared to my Expedition, it could be done one-handed. The Expy was a NIGHTMARE (especially when I still had a dead cylinder when it was all done). On the Explorer, everything is right out in the open.

One additional suggestion I would offer up, that I used on my Expy - Have at least one of your extensions be the locking type (where you have to move a lever to release it), and use it right at the spark plug socket. It's really easy to lose a spark plug socket in these OHC heads since the holes are so deep, and if the socket is stuck on the plug, you have to remove the plug again to get it back. If you don't have one of those extensions, do your initial loosening and (especially) final tightening with a standard 5/8" deep socket (without the rubber insert).

Ceramic White 2003 Explorer Limited 4x4 4.6L: JBA headers, Steeda underdrive pulleys, K&N FIPK, Cougar/Thunderbird electric fan/Flex-A-Lite Controller

Medium Wedgewood Blue 2004 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L Raven Black 1994 Ranger Supercab STX 4x2 4.0L
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #29
esclamada
KCMO
'02 Mountaineer AWD V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
It was really easy

Just replaced my plugs. It wasn't difficult at all. You only need 1 6" extension and swiveling magnetic spark plug socket ($10 on advance auto) to make removal and installation a piece of cake. Took me almost 4hrs to do the job (it's cold even in the garage)

here's some pics on my facebook page..

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fb...8605&aid=21030
esclamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #30
farsscf
Navarre, florida
2004 Explorer XLT 4.6l

Vehicle Specs

FYI- If you use a length of 3/8" fuel hose to install the plugs you won't have to worry about cross threading. It offers more of a feel to finger tighten them instead of using the socket.
farsscf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #31
2002GreyHD150
DFW, Texas
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
** a swivel 1/4" drive 7mm socket for the coil pack bolts makes the coil pack MUCH easier to deal with.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...4&blockType=L4

** Platinum This, Irridium That, 2-3-4-10 Prog electrode the other, is all gimickery. I will NEVER understand the lazy inclination to spend 5x the $$ for platinum plugs and do the work less often as the mileage racks up. As the miles go up, you should be MORE worried about what's going on inside the engine not LESS... NGK V-power copper plugs every 15-25K depending on how the wife is driving... thanks much.

** Anti-seize YES on the plug. the plug thread area is steel/alloy. Your cylinder head is aluminum. Dissimilar metals expand/contract & heat/cool at different rates. Galling while REMOVING the plug is far more common than when threading them in. Anti-seize is to help you REMOVE them the next time, escpecially if you are leaving them in ANOTHER 100K <roll eyes>

** Napa & CRC both sell an excellent spray battery & iginition sealer that is less mess than die-electric grease/paste. Spray, seat the coil pack, tighten as recommended.

** Keep the plugs in order as you take them out. Then take a look at them. Especially if you are not going 100K+. they tell you LOTS about the fuel, the engine's health, & what's REALLY going on.

Rob

Last edited by 2002GreyHD150; 01-31-2011 at 07:10 PM.
2002GreyHD150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #32
Farcaster
Kalamazoo, MI
2003 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Just did this job today. Was MUCH easier than I thought it was going to be. Took me about an hour and half.
Farcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #33
02Owner
North Carolina
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Need some help on this one. Just replaced #2 coil, and the spark plug came out w/ the coil. Is that normal? I always thought the coil should come out w/o the spark plug attached. Once I replaced the old coil the misfire stopped but it has started again and this time no engine light signal. What should I do next?
02Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #34
matt0248
Chicago
02 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Owner View Post
Need some help on this one. Just replaced #2 coil, and the spark plug came out w/ the coil. Is that normal? I always thought the coil should come out w/o the spark plug attached. Once I replaced the old coil the misfire stopped but it has started again and this time no engine light signal. What should I do next?
NO IT IS NOT NORMAL. Was it just the white ceramic part of the plug or the whole thing, threads and all?
matt0248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #35
bobbaloo38
fl
02 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Changing plugs

I have 145K on my 02 xls and only now am I considering changing the plugs. Its been running smooth and started with a tap of the key only until this week. Thanks for the tool recommendations.
bobbaloo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #36
02Owner
North Carolina
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0248 View Post
NO IT IS NOT NORMAL. Was it just the white ceramic part of the plug or the whole thing, threads and all?
It was the entire plug. I'm prepared for the bad news....
Old 05-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #37
matt0248
Chicago
02 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Owner View Post
It was the entire plug. I'm prepared for the bad news....
The modular triton v8's are known to blow out spark plugs. This is probably what happened. check the threads of the old plugs to see if they are damaged. Most likeily they are and the threads in the head a messed up too. The threads can be repaired without removing the cylinder head. Timesert makes a really good kit to fix it but it is $$$ for the kit.

You mentioined that you changed the plugs, how did the new one thread in? was is easy or very difficult?
matt0248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #38
02Owner
North Carolina
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0248 View Post
The modular triton v8's are known to blow out spark plugs. This is probably what happened. check the threads of the old plugs to see if they are damaged. Most likeily they are and the threads in the head a messed up too. The threads can be repaired without removing the cylinder head. Timesert makes a really good kit to fix it but it is $$$ for the kit.

You mentioined that you changed the plugs, how did the new one thread in? was is easy or very difficult?
Thread on the old plug look fine, not sure about the head. I have not changed the plugs. That's my next step if possible.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #39
octotree
07 sport trac limited

Vehicle Specs

Will the loctite version of the nickel grease be okay? I cannot get my hands on the motorcraft stuff, no matter how hard I tried. I'm not going to order it, because I'm doing the plugs this weekend.

Thanks
octotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #40
khandielas
Mercury Mountaineer 2002

Vehicle Specs

I got missfire code on cylinder #5 (Mountaineer 2002, V8), is there a way to locate #5 and only change coil and spark plug for this one? I am not very handy and really dare not to mess up more. Thanks.
khandielas is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: