My vehicle shakes when I go above 60 MPH. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My vehicle shakes when I go above 60 MPH.

pwally1981

Reaction score
City, State
Alvordton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Just wanted to say hi, I just joined. I have a problem that I have not yet been able to solve. I have a 94' ford explorer, 4x4, 4.0. It's a great vehicle, but heres the thing when I'm driving and get up to 60mph it's great, but as soon as I try to speed up, the whole truck starts shaking. It doesnt do it all the time, but it does it a lot. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you feel the shaking through the steering wheel?
I'd check all the fluids, especially the differentials, check all of your u-joints, especially the main drive shaft. Inspect the flywheel for cracks, missing teeth, loose or missing flywheel bolts, harmonic-balancer. All 4 tires the same size and pressure? Have the wheels been balanced recently? missing any lug-nuts or have any broken wheel studs?

welcome

I resently had to replace the rotors and noticed the hub was not tight to spec. I replaced the bearings just in case and tightened them to spec. It reduced the shaking a bit, I've checked tire pressure, it's good. The stearing wheel shakes a lot, but only if i hold at 65mph if I reduce speed it goes away or if I want to speed at like 85mph it smooths out. The next thing on my list was to dis mount the tires, clean beads, remount and balance. I bought it used it never realy did this til I started tp drive it full time.....Thanks for the info I will definantly check that out while I'm working on it.

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed, and moved your thread to the stock 91-94 section. I had this problem once on my 88, and it was a slightly bent driveshaft. Check your alignment, and the tires to see if they were properly balanced.

I got a 2006 ranger. i got a slight vibration in the rear end somewhere. when i turn left it gets worse. when i turn right it stops completely. Think this is a rear wheel bearing or you think its the driveshaft or u joints?

I thought all first gens had a little shake and shimmy from about 65 to 80 but from what you are saying its worse than normal. I would definitely check the u-joints and drive shaft first but it may be as simple as just needing an alignment.

Back