Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

My vehicle shakes when I go above 60 MPH.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
pwally1981
Alvordton, Ohio
1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question My vehicle shakes when I go above 60 MPH.

Just wanted to say hi, I just joined. I have a problem that I have not yet been able to solve. I have a 94' ford explorer, 4x4, 4.0. It's a great vehicle, but heres the thing when I'm driving and get up to 60mph it's great, but as soon as I try to speed up, the whole truck starts shaking. It doesnt do it all the time, but it does it a lot. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
pwally1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
rileyrs
Elite Explorer
2002 ranger

Vehicle Specs

welcome!

id start simple with an alignment and balance.
good luck

My Registry

My Ranger Build
rileyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
fixxxer
Aurora, Co.
93 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you feel the shaking through the steering wheel?
I'd check all the fluids, especially the differentials, check all of your u-joints, especially the main drive shaft. Inspect the flywheel for cracks, missing teeth, loose or missing flywheel bolts, harmonic-balancer. All 4 tires the same size and pressure? Have the wheels been balanced recently? missing any lug-nuts or have any broken wheel studs?

97 Camry

Ford Explorer and Ranger Owner's Guides and more...
fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
welcome

Old 07-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
pwally1981
Alvordton, Ohio
1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I resently had to replace the rotors and noticed the hub was not tight to spec. I replaced the bearings just in case and tightened them to spec. It reduced the shaking a bit, I've checked tire pressure, it's good. The stearing wheel shakes a lot, but only if i hold at 65mph if I reduce speed it goes away or if I want to speed at like 85mph it smooths out. The next thing on my list was to dis mount the tires, clean beads, remount and balance. I bought it used it never realy did this til I started tp drive it full time.....Thanks for the info I will definantly check that out while I'm working on it.
pwally1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've renamed, and moved your thread to the stock 91-94 section. I had this problem once on my 88, and it was a slightly bent driveshaft. Check your alignment, and the tires to see if they were properly balanced.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
v_bayne03
Bloomfield, MO
2006 Ford Ranger

Vehicle Specs

I got a 2006 ranger. i got a slight vibration in the rear end somewhere. when i turn left it gets worse. when i turn right it stops completely. Think this is a rear wheel bearing or you think its the driveshaft or u joints?
v_bayne03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
runningred92
Nashville,TN
'92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I thought all first gens had a little shake and shimmy from about 65 to 80 but from what you are saying its worse than normal. I would definitely check the u-joints and drive shaft first but it may be as simple as just needing an alignment.
runningred92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page