OverDrive Light Blinking Fast when trying to maintain highway speed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OverDrive Light Blinking Fast when trying to maintain highway speed.

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
Had the same OD light blink on my truck 3 weeks ago.
It was blinking on the FDR downtown for about 3 miles. I restarted the truck when I got off and the light was off. I was able to take the BQE home (7 miles) without any incident with the OD light again.

Very weird.

I am driving back into Manhattan again later today traveling the same route and this morning, lets see if it occurs again.

UPDATE:

Ford Server Center scanned my truck and came up with the following codes for the rapid blinking OverDrive light:

PO741 and PO743

the codes were for the solenoid in the tranny and the torque converter. My warranty company wanted the Ford service to diagnose the tranny more and not replace both. Basically warranty guys were counting pennies and trying not to spend money. Solenoid resistance were out of spec as per inspection by tech.

Work done:
transmission solenoid replaced. Replaced fluid, filter and pan gasket and friction modifier added.

My dealer really wanted to replace the torque converter too, but warranty wanted one step at a time.

On the drive home my overdrive light started blinking again.

I called Ford they contacted the warranty center. Now I have to go back Monday for what most likely will be a tranny replacement, because Ford thinks I have more issues than just the torque converter. The truck will be scanned again and I will give you guys an update.

From what Ford tells me they have this issue and would normally just swap the tranny, because other issues maybe have come up because of the failing torque converter and solenoid.

price for today's work was just over $970. I payed $83 for fluids and filter (not covered).

Update:

Torque Converter replaced.
All is well. Took a sixty mile trip, most of it over 60mph and no blinking OD light.

RPMs are now just 2krpm at 70mph. Before my rpms ran very high all the time. At 65mph rpms were over 2krpm.

Warranty payed out over $1k for this fix. A little more and I could have had a whole tranny swap.

NOTE: A normal OBD II scanner or scanguage (II) will not be able to pull up the transmission codes. My dealer was able to pull up the codes. Another thing, my warranty company thought that a valve body problem threw the torque converter code, but they were wrong. They also said a common problem that they have seen with the 5r552 transmission is a 2-3 slip.

Back