Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Airbag error code 34

Old 07-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
Plowy
2000 xl

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
AU Airbag error code 34

Hi All
My '99 explorer has just been at the workshop because it was winding over but would'nt start. After 6 hours labour cost to find the problem , it turned out to be a $10.50 Aus. relay. Car is starting great now but while it was there the airbag light came on , they were getting an error code 34 and got the Auto Electrician to look at it . He said it would need to go to a Ford dealership to figure out exactly why this was happening. When I start the car the light flashes 3 times , pauses , then flashes 6 times, pauses, and repeats this several times till it stops and just stays illuminated. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?
Plowy is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is it code 34 or code 36? Which is it flashing?

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
Plowy
2000 xl

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoecam View Post
Is it code 34 or code 36? Which is it flashing?
The mechanic who scanned it said it was code 34, but that's as far as he could go and Ford would need to investigate it further. The light on the dash is flashing in the sequence as I've said , not knowing much about it ,I can only repeat what they've told me and what the light is doing.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers
Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
TheJackal
Mandeville, LA
1999 Explorer XL 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Nevermind, I got it wrong. I wondered why they'd have codes for the same thing.

Code 34 is Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance too low. This means that the wires going to the driver's airbag are somehow shorted together. The most common place for this is the clockspring.

Code 36 is Driver Side (the one in the seat) Air Bag Circuit Resistance too low or too high. Same thing, except this doesn't go thru the clockspring.

Either way, you should be extremely careful with airbags--disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes before disconnecting airbag wiring.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
Plowy
2000 xl

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Question

Thanks Mate

Will check it out on the weekend with a mate who's a bit more savvy. The mechanics may have disrupted something there when they were looking for the no starting problem

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page