Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

HELP!! 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer PROBLEM!!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
sdog200
Fredericksburg, VA
98 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Exclamation HELP!! 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer PROBLEM!!

Hey all, I had a question regarding my 1998 Ford Explorer V6 4.0 Eddie Bauer edition. Recently, my battery died. When I jumped it and started driving the battery light would not turn off. Then the A/C stopped, then the air suspension, then the front passenger window. After driving further, the battery started to leak battery acid and I could smell the sulfur in my car while driving. Also, every day I had to jump the car, every day it would take longer to start and eventually it would not get jumped. I went to get the battery charged where I bought it and they said the battery was bad so they gave me a new one.
I am now trying to diagnose my car so that I can fix it. So far I checked the alternater, the fuses, and I replaced the battery but still the battery light is on, the a/c chooses when to work, and the right window wont go up (suspension started to work again). I think the window's motor might have died but I am afraid if I keep driving my car as is the same problem might return. Did anyone have this problem, know what I am going through, or know how to fix it?
sdog200 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
joker1457
Aurora, Co
98 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC

Vehicle Specs

That sounds like a serious computer issue not the battery, if you have checkled the fuses and alternator, my guess would be the computer there a thread I posted about a vibration problem I was having another member posted a link to one of his threads regarding the computer Let me see if I can get you the link.
joker1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
joker1457
Aurora, Co
98 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC

Vehicle Specs

Heres that link hope it helps.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=248036
joker1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the stock 95-01 section. It sounds like the alternator fried the battery, then the GEM might have been affected.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
X6StringerX
2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost

Vehicle Specs

You say that everytime you had to have the car jumped that it would take longer. I'm afraid that what could have been a problem as simple as the alternator may have turned into something where multiple components have been affected. How did you "check the alternator". Did you remove it and have it tested at a parts store. Just an FYI, but I've had good alternators to test bad and bad alternators to test good. The last time I had a part tested at a parts store, it was a starter and they told me it would need to be replaced at the tune of $180. I took it outside of the store and "jumped" it from a battery and it worked fine. I went home and reinstalled it and it was perfect and drove the vehicle for another 20k miles with no problems before I sold it.

gmanpaint[09:50pm] : nate (v8powerbaby) throws the love word around like yesterdays newspaper
gmanpaint[09:50pm] : he got me on the phone one night
gmanpaint[09:51pm] : we were saying goodbye, and he goes....i love ya man, say it back
gmanpaint[09:51pm] : i just about died
X6StringerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
sdog200
Fredericksburg, VA
98 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
so here is the latest... I brought it to a repair shop and they said that the alternator was causing the problems and that this was a reoccuring thing in explorers. They said that the alternator might test good but that usually it will start to mess up 30 min into a drive or if I am towing a lot. They asked for $400. $255 for a 130 watt alternator, $50 for a serpentine belt (which they said is the cause of the malfunction) and $90 for labor. I have shopped around and most places carry stock alternators for $100-200 but I wanted to know if anyone else had a problem like this and whether I really need this expensive alternator. Right now my car is broke down with a brand new battery in it that I drove probably 30 miles with. It started up fine for two days before it completely died, again.... oh and bty, I tested the alternator by disconnecting the battery and then I took it to Autozone so they could test it and both tests showed no problems.
sdog200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
corrosion, cpu, electrical, problem, wires

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page