Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Uneven front brake pad wear

Old 07-28-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
XedLos
Souther California
96 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Uneven front brake pad wear

I took a look at the brake pads on my explorer and the front inner pad has more wear than the outside one. What can be casuing this? Im gonna have to replace them and i wanted to do it myself. I tried looking for a how to but i didnt find one. If any one knows of a thread with pics prefrably id appreciate it. Or just give me a quick rundown of waht to do. I really have never done this stuff myself so sorry if it seems like a dumb question.
XedLos is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
BrianDye
Michigan
2009 Edge Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Nah we all gotta start somewhere, theyre really easy if you have the patience, I did mine with no knowledge of what i was doing hahaha, but im thinking that maybe one of your calipers could be sticking a little, OR you have uneven rotors,

when you stop, does your pedal vibrate or shake, with your explorer?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
XedLos
Souther California
96 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
It doesnt shake at all. It feels normal.
XedLos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
BrianDye
Michigan
2009 Edge Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well your rotors seem fine then, im no brake genius but you can usually feel even the slightest bit if your rotors warped or anything, maybe the outter pads were just replaced, and the inners werent, do you have any pics?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
robertoa1a
Jacksonville, FL
96 5.0 xlt 2wd white/char

Vehicle Specs

They kind of ride along two bolts. That system has to be free to do that for starters. There are two bolts holding the actual caliper housing to the spindle area. Then there are two more longer bolts that are intended for the break caliper to slide freely on, as it does its work. With that said there is another phenomena that can cause this problem. If you live in a sandy, muddy area such as in the south, the mud may be getting on the inside creating a sandpaper effect. There should be no looseness indicating a bad bearing as someone said.

If the brakes haven't been bled in a while then you will want to do that first. By nature air gets in the fluid somehow, and can change normal brake behavior. Old brake fluid can exourbe moisture, and its designed to do that, which can cause irregularities as well. That's why we bleed brakes regularly.

Have you inspected the rotors? They might tell you a story. At the end of the day brakes are fairly cheep and calipers are expensive. While you have the wheel off shake the calipers to check for looseness. Then see if it can move right to left as it would be needed in driving. You can get some idea about the warpage on the rotors at this time. They should spin relatively freely with very little drag on either side.
robertoa1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Neil1750825
Brookings, SD
1997 Explorer XLT SOHC

Vehicle Specs

I might suggest that you have a vacuum leak or at least weak vacuum. I believe vacuum is what releases the brakes and pulls them away from the rotor. It may be that the vacuum isn't strong enough to pull the pad all the way off the rotor and therefore you are left with dragging brakes. That would explain the one side wearing harder than the other. Just a thought.
Neil1750825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Heavymentill
Ann Arbor, Michigan

96 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1750825 View Post
I might suggest that you have a vacuum leak or at least weak vacuum. I believe vacuum is what releases the brakes and pulls them away from the rotor. It may be that the vacuum isn't strong enough to pull the pad all the way off the rotor and therefore you are left with dragging brakes. That would explain the one side wearing harder than the other. Just a thought.
Not true.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:17 AM   #8
chance942
B
Las Cruces, NM
2000 Sport sohc con trac

Vehicle Specs

right to left or in and out? does the caliper have a death grip on the rotor? like he said,it should turn rather freely.
chance942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
jlsparky7
Woodhaven, Mi
1996 5.0 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Slide pins need to be lubed. Brake how to vid in my sig.

jlsparky7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page