A4LD adjustable vacuum modulator, need setup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD adjustable vacuum modulator, need setup

mechjames

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Alright, after I reinstalled the rebuilt transmission, I was able to find the sweet spot on the vaccum modulator for the smoothest shifts, and timing for TCC lockup, etc

Problem is, that was last feburary. I did some major offroading in mud that seems to have messed up how I calibrated my modulator. Instructions has disappeared, and i've played around with it, unable to find the spot for the proper shift points. 3rd and 4th and overdrive come on way too early.

How many turns from all the way in should it come out for optimum shifting?

Yea it has to be fined tuned, but theres absolutely no setting where I can get normal shifts? I had it set before, but its out now. 3rd and OD come on way too early, and I can hear a vibration when I slow down and/or come to a stop, due to the torque convertor being engaged at low rpms I believe.

Problem is, now the modulator adjustment wheel is just about ready to come off it seems. Is there a lock on it that prevents me from unwinding the wheel completely?

Like I said, I found a good point before, but the modulator wheel is about to come off. My used rebuilt transmission came with it already installed with no instructions. By any chance do you know how to properly set these things up? I'm about ready to throw in a stock replacement modulator, but It looks like a big job to change it with my old rusted stock cat convertor pipes that'll probably never come off without replacing the whole Y pipe from the engine to the muffler.

They should be pre-adjusted. However I recently installed a new one on my 93 explorer and had experienced the same, shifting into 4th too early. I have read that the more you unscrew it the harder and faster the shifts and tightening it slows and smooths down the shifts like a Cadillac. I am and would also recommend just getting a stock non-adjustable one.
If you don't want to do that, it's pretty easy to get to by pulling back the carpet and right in front of the center console is a plate with 4 screws allowing you access to the modulator.
Just noticed this post is from 2009, oh well maybe this could help someone.

Back