Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

2002 Explorer xlt 2WD auto - both power side mirrors are not working.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
ckellyne
Atlanta, Georgia
2002 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
US 2002 Explorer xlt 2WD auto - both power side mirrors are not working.

Hello, I have a 2002 Explorer XLT 2WD Automatic Trans and both of the remote side mirrors do not adjust when using the drivers side switch. I checked the fuses and they are fine...no problems there. I decided to replace the switch and got the same result...still not working. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to fix the problem? thanks much.
ckellyne is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the stock 2002-2005 section. The wires in between the door, and the frame sometimes develop breaks over a period of time. Follow the color codes of the switch wires from the inside of the door to the outside bulkhead connector. It might be a bad ground or a loose connection in the connector.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
ckellyne
Atlanta, Georgia
2002 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Power Mirrors not working / Fantastic website

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBay View Post
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the stock 2002-2005 section. The wires in between the door, and the frame sometimes develop breaks over a period of time. Follow the color codes of the switch wires from the inside of the door to the outside bulkhead connector. It might be a bad ground or a loose connection in the connector.
This site is fantastic...I also have a problem with my Blend Door Actuator in the auxilliary air blower unit in the back. The dealer gave me a quote of about $400 to have it replaced, so I don't hear the clicking sound when the air is going in the back of the Explorer. I found a thread on this site that provided step-by-step instructions including removing the trim panels, confirming which part was defective, and replacing it. The thread referenced this link:

http://redassaggie00.blogspot.com/20...ical-post.html

I've NEVER worked on my Explorer before, nor any car to this extent and had the part out in 90 minutes. I'm taking the part to the dealer today to purchase the replacement, then reassemble everything and wrap it up. Fantastic website!

Thank you for the feedback regarding my power mirrors, I'll take that approach and seek out a bad ground or loose connection. Since both mirrors stopped working at the same time, and I have already replaced the driver side control switch it must be the wiring as you suggested. What is the best way to get at all of the mirror wiring to get this handled...remove both the driver's side and passenger side interior door trim panels? Will I need to remove the dashboard trim as well to get to the wiring? thanks again.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Unplug the switch to see what the color codes are. Trace the wiring to the bulkhead connector which is located behind the kick panel. Use a continuity tester from the switch side to the bulkhead connector side on each wire to see which one is broken. If those check out OK, then use a test light to see which wire on the bulkhead connector has power. As for the parts for the blend door, check WWW.RockAuto.Com or WWW.FastPartsNetwork.Com. Rock Auto has a discount coupon code listed in the vendor section of this site.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
ckellyne
Atlanta, Georgia
2002 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Cool! thank you!