Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Just purchased Explorer...brake lights do not work!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
94explorerboy
X,X
2001 Explorer Sport 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Just purchased Explorer...brake lights do not work!!!

I just purchased a 2001 Explorer Sport for my son.
I haven't had an Explorer for several years now but still come back to the forum from time to time to read up on things so I decided to start here.
After taking a good look at the vehicle I just realized that there are no rear right or left brake lights.
The brake light on the top of the hatch works fine but I can not get the other two to work.
Any ideas? I changed the bulbs but no dice.
The turn signals work. When you turn the lights on they work. Just no brake lights when you step on the brake.
Can anyone give me some pointers on where to start. Thanks.
94explorerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
94explorerboy
X,X
2001 Explorer Sport 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Replaced the Stoplamp switch and the bulbs. No dice. I am also having problems with my front left turn signal. I replaced the bulb and it doesn't work either. I guess I will have to take it to the local dealership to have them look at it.

Last edited by 94explorerboy; 08-12-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Neil1750825
Brookings, SD
1997 Explorer XLT SOHC

Vehicle Specs

A good start would be to just trace it back and check voltage along the way.
Neil1750825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
timn8er
Oshawa Ontario
1995 Eddie

Vehicle Specs

I know that when I replaced the LAMP OUT MODULE that fixed my problem in my 95 explorer. not sure if this problem occurs in the 2001./
timn8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
gavin
Anchorage, Alaska
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
does the 3rd brake light work? how about hazards?

odd problem with my mom's 01 Blazer; the hazard lamp module died, which killed the brake lights, except for the 3rd brake light since it didn't go through this module.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
94explorerboy
X,X
2001 Explorer Sport 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I spent some time this evening looking at the problem again.
Here are my notes....
DOES HAVE power for brake at stoplamp switch.
DOES NOT have power for brake light in rear light plug.
DOES NOT have power for brake light at trailer plug under bumper.

So it would appear that the problem is somewhere between the wire out of the stoplamp switch and the light plug.

Third brake light on top of hatch works.

No turn signal on left front (replaced bulb-no change). Regular lights work but turn signal does not.
Rear Hazard lights work.

New symptom that just developed…… the BRAKES light on the dash stays illuminated now. Previously it only came on for a second when the truck was started and then turned off.

Any more ideas??????
Old 08-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
gavin
Anchorage, Alaska

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94explorerboy View Post
New symptom that just developed…… the BRAKES light on the dash stays illuminated now. Previously it only came on for a second when the truck was started and then turned off.

Any more ideas??????
I believe this is due to the lamp out module previously mentioned? Not positive on it, though.

edit: can't seem to find this module anywhere on an 01. Last question... no power at rear lights even with parking lights, correct?

sounding more and more like a broke wire.

one more edit: on the brake pedal position sensor, 2 terminals are hot at all times, and 1 is output to stoplamps. Pin 3 (BN) and Pin 5 (LG/RD) are hot at all times. Pin 4 (LG) is output to stop lamps.

I lied, edit again: you said hazards DO work? ugh... hazard/turn flasher is the same flasher unit. Maybe the BPP sensor then.

Last edited by gavin; 08-12-2009 at 09:51 PM.
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
gavin
Anchorage, Alaska

Vehicle Specs

Old 08-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
94explorerboy
X,X
2001 Explorer Sport 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Now more to add to the mystery.........I drive the vehicle this morning and now the right turn signal does not work. It was one of the few things that did work last night when I tried to figure out what was wrong with it.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #10
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

It sounds more like an MFS problem.
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
gavin
Anchorage, Alaska

Vehicle Specs

turn signal is a different matter.

all these things go through different relays/switches/etc.

for the turn signal, the multifunction switch is a possibility.

brake lights, the BPP could be a possibility, follow the diagnostics I posted.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

IIRC, then are some wiring differences in the sport (and years for that matter) and I think you will find that your culprit is the MFS switch. This "faint recall" was from a post a while back where someone else had pointed that out even though my drawings don't show any brake aspect with the MFS. Anyways, that's my guess.
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
94explorerboy
X,X
2001 Explorer Sport 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I have brake lights!!!!!

I decided to throw a few more things at it and I think I found the problem.

I read about a few others having problems with the multifunction switch so I decided to jiggle around with it and the steering wheel.

Evidently something is shorting out in the steering wheel column which is causing all of these problems.

I now remember that I adjusted the steering wheel this morning which must have knocked out the turn signal.

At least I know that everything works so no trip to the dealership. I just have to figure out how to keep it working.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
01slvrsprt
South Burbs of Chicago
'01 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Thanks for this thread. I also have a 01 X Sport and started having the EXACT same problems last week. First it was the front left turn signal working then not working the working then not working. Then the rear brake lights went out then they worked then they didnt. Then the left rear turn signal went out. I replaced the left rear light and that fixed the turn signal problems, but still had no brake lights. I replaced the brake light switch, no change. So I took a test light to the left rear brake light, no juice. Then took the test light and check the power out (lt grn) line, had power. So I started scratching my head and headed here. Your last post lead me to go and tilt my steering wheel. BRAKE LIGHTS!!!!! So apparently the multifunction switch has a bad wire connection. Thanks!

Did you ever replace yours? I checked autozone and pepboys and they dont carry it.

Dick Cepek Black 15x8 DC-1 Rims
33"x12.5" BF Goodrich Mud Terrain
01slvrsprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
MichaelK2233
Tennessee
2001 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mine also had this problem. Can cause the front turn signals and/or flashers to not work either. The wiring harness right behind the steering wheel on top of the steering column is cheap & only has small plastic pieces to hold the wires in. You can tilt the wheel down too aggressively & break one of the pieces. It allows the wire(s) to slip out the harness just enough so they don't connect. Tilt the wheel back up & everything works again as long as the wires didn't come completely out. Replace the harness. $15 from the dealership. Has the part number stamped on it. 15 minute installation. Disconnect battery & take it one wire at a time. About a dozen wires total. However I did tilt my wheel to about midways & removed the handle so I wouldn't accidentally break them again.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #16
01slvrsprt
South Burbs of Chicago
'01 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK2233 View Post
Mine also had this problem. Can cause the front turn signals and/or flashers to not work either. The wiring harness right behind the steering wheel on top of the steering column is cheap & only has small plastic pieces to hold the wires in. You can tilt the wheel down too aggressively & break one of the pieces. It allows the wire(s) to slip out the harness just enough so they don't connect. Tilt the wheel back up & everything works again as long as the wires didn't come completely out. Replace the harness. $15 from the dealership. Has the part number stamped on it. 15 minute installation. Disconnect battery & take it one wire at a time. About a dozen wires total. However I did tilt my wheel to about midways & removed the handle so I wouldn't accidentally break them again.
thats what happened with mine. I went to the bone yard and grabbed one, the clips in mine were all broken, and that took care of the issue.

To anyone else with this problem, just like michaelK said, check the clip that plugs into the multifunction switch. Thats where the wires popped out on mine.

Dick Cepek Black 15x8 DC-1 Rims
33"x12.5" BF Goodrich Mud Terrain
01slvrsprt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page