Just purchased Explorer...brake lights do not work!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just purchased Explorer...brake lights do not work!!!

94explorerboy

Reaction score
City, State
X,X
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
I just purchased a 2001 Explorer Sport for my son.
I haven't had an Explorer for several years now but still come back to the forum from time to time to read up on things so I decided to start here.
After taking a good look at the vehicle I just realized that there are no rear right or left brake lights.
The brake light on the top of the hatch works fine but I can not get the other two to work.
Any ideas? I changed the bulbs but no dice.
The turn signals work. When you turn the lights on they work. Just no brake lights when you step on the brake.
Can anyone give me some pointers on where to start. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced the Stoplamp switch and the bulbs. No dice. I am also having problems with my front left turn signal. I replaced the bulb and it doesn't work either. I guess I will have to take it to the local dealership to have them look at it.

A good start would be to just trace it back and check voltage along the way.

I know that when I replaced the LAMP OUT MODULE that fixed my problem in my 95 explorer. not sure if this problem occurs in the 2001./

does the 3rd brake light work? how about hazards?

odd problem with my mom's 01 Blazer; the hazard lamp module died, which killed the brake lights, except for the 3rd brake light since it didn't go through this module.

I spent some time this evening looking at the problem again.
Here are my notes....
DOES HAVE power for brake at stoplamp switch.
DOES NOT have power for brake light in rear light plug.
DOES NOT have power for brake light at trailer plug under bumper.

So it would appear that the problem is somewhere between the wire out of the stoplamp switch and the light plug.

Third brake light on top of hatch works.

No turn signal on left front (replaced bulb-no change). Regular lights work but turn signal does not.
Rear Hazard lights work.

New symptom that just developed…… the BRAKES light on the dash stays illuminated now. Previously it only came on for a second when the truck was started and then turned off.

Any more ideas??????

New symptom that just developed…… the BRAKES light on the dash stays illuminated now. Previously it only came on for a second when the truck was started and then turned off.

Any more ideas??????

I believe this is due to the lamp out module previously mentioned? Not positive on it, though.

edit: can't seem to find this module anywhere on an 01. Last question... no power at rear lights even with parking lights, correct?

sounding more and more like a broke wire.

one more edit: on the brake pedal position sensor, 2 terminals are hot at all times, and 1 is output to stoplamps. Pin 3 (BN) and Pin 5 (LG/RD) are hot at all times. Pin 4 (LG) is output to stop lamps.

I lied, edit again: you said hazards DO work? ugh... hazard/turn flasher is the same flasher unit. Maybe the BPP sensor then.

bpp-test1.jpg

bpp-test2.jpg

Now more to add to the mystery.........I drive the vehicle this morning and now the right turn signal does not work. It was one of the few things that did work last night when I tried to figure out what was wrong with it.

It sounds more like an MFS problem.

turn signal is a different matter.

all these things go through different relays/switches/etc.

for the turn signal, the multifunction switch is a possibility.

brake lights, the BPP could be a possibility, follow the diagnostics I posted.

IIRC, then are some wiring differences in the sport (and years for that matter) and I think you will find that your culprit is the MFS switch. This "faint recall" was from a post a while back where someone else had pointed that out even though my drawings don't show any brake aspect with the MFS. Anyways, that's my guess.

I have brake lights!!!!!

I decided to throw a few more things at it and I think I found the problem.

I read about a few others having problems with the multifunction switch so I decided to jiggle around with it and the steering wheel.

Evidently something is shorting out in the steering wheel column which is causing all of these problems.

I now remember that I adjusted the steering wheel this morning which must have knocked out the turn signal.

At least I know that everything works so no trip to the dealership. I just have to figure out how to keep it working.

Thanks for this thread. I also have a 01 X Sport and started having the EXACT same problems last week. First it was the front left turn signal working then not working the working then not working. Then the rear brake lights went out then they worked then they didnt. Then the left rear turn signal went out. I replaced the left rear light and that fixed the turn signal problems, but still had no brake lights. I replaced the brake light switch, no change. So I took a test light to the left rear brake light, no juice. Then took the test light and check the power out (lt grn) line, had power. So I started scratching my head and headed here. Your last post lead me to go and tilt my steering wheel. BRAKE LIGHTS!!!!! So apparently the multifunction switch has a bad wire connection. Thanks!

Did you ever replace yours? I checked autozone and pepboys and they dont carry it.

Mine also had this problem. Can cause the front turn signals and/or flashers to not work either. The wiring harness right behind the steering wheel on top of the steering column is cheap & only has small plastic pieces to hold the wires in. You can tilt the wheel down too aggressively & break one of the pieces. It allows the wire(s) to slip out the harness just enough so they don't connect. Tilt the wheel back up & everything works again as long as the wires didn't come completely out. Replace the harness. $15 from the dealership. Has the part number stamped on it. 15 minute installation. Disconnect battery & take it one wire at a time. About a dozen wires total. However I did tilt my wheel to about midways & removed the handle so I wouldn't accidentally break them again.

Mine also had this problem. Can cause the front turn signals and/or flashers to not work either. The wiring harness right behind the steering wheel on top of the steering column is cheap & only has small plastic pieces to hold the wires in. You can tilt the wheel down too aggressively & break one of the pieces. It allows the wire(s) to slip out the harness just enough so they don't connect. Tilt the wheel back up & everything works again as long as the wires didn't come completely out. Replace the harness. $15 from the dealership. Has the part number stamped on it. 15 minute installation. Disconnect battery & take it one wire at a time. About a dozen wires total. However I did tilt my wheel to about midways & removed the handle so I wouldn't accidentally break them again.

thats what happened with mine. I went to the bone yard and grabbed one, the clips in mine were all broken, and that took care of the issue.

To anyone else with this problem, just like michaelK said, check the clip that plugs into the multifunction switch. Thats where the wires popped out on mine.

Back