Ignition Control Module failure symptoms | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ignition Control Module failure symptoms

scrivyscriv

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ranger XLT 2WD auto
93 2wd 168k mi, 4.0L 5 speed

My engine has been missing for a while now, and I just assumed it needed PM. I changed the plugs & wires and have run a few bottles of injector and fuel system cleaner through the tank over a few thousand miles, but still I get a miss and rough idle. Not enough to be a big problem, but will interfere with acceleration when changing gears at low RPMS's (manual transmission) and the rough idle sounds like I don't take care of my truck.

I checked the EEC-IV codes and either the first or second group of KOEO codes, if I remember correctly, indicated an ignition control module fault. My check engine light will come on periodically but if I shut off the engine and restart, the CEL doesn't usually come back on.

This past winter, my tach started acting up - it would read low 1000's and rise and fall coinciding with engine speed, but would not indicate actual engine RPM's until the engine had been running for about fifteen minutes (from a cold 45 degree ambient start), at which point it would suddenly jump to the actual engine RPM's and indicate normally. It still acts up even in the muggy heat we have in Mississippi - incorrect RPM indication, sometimes working, sometimes not.

In the process of trying to fix my (unrelated) A/C problem, I picked up a wiring diagram from the forums and noticed that the WOT A/C cutoff relay goes to the ICM (ignition control module), which has a lead labeled "to tach & test conn."

Is that lead going to the tachometer? Would an erratic tach indication correlate with an ICM fault?

I'm down to either injectors/fuel rail or ICM/coil/crank sensor. Unfortunately the injector testing tools are expensive and require upper intake removal; and a new ICM is $150 - $250. I've got to isolate the system causing the problem so I won't have to spend twice as much, Lol.

So yeah. Love to hear some opinions/facts/ideas and see any charts or pictures y'all might have stored somewhere on your hard drive. Thanks in advance!

1992explorer40engine.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you remember which ICM code you got? Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) feeds the ICM with engine speed data, and then, as noted, the ICM sends that data to the PCM and Tach. With the ICM code and the inconsistent tach, it suggests that there is something bad between the CKP and the PCM. At this point, it doesn't appear that you've done enough diagnosis to determine if it's the ICM itself, or the wiring, or the CKP, but it sure looks like the right area to start.

I jus gt done building my 4.0 in my 92 explorer. bored 30 over stage one comp cam (500 exhaust, 486 intake) pacesetter headers, custom push rods (5.550) new water pump, new radiator, power steering rebuilt. I tried turning it over and that's all it does n wont run. not getting any spark. so I replace the crank sensor n I got the same result. so then I stuck a high dollar computer on it and it jus keeps giving me the ignition control unit or module is bad. which is roughly around $200. is there a way to bypass that system?

I jus gt done building my 4.0 in my 92 explorer. bored 30 over stage one comp cam (500 exhaust, 486 intake) pacesetter headers, custom push rods (5.550) new water pump, new radiator, power steering rebuilt. I tried turning it over and that's all it does n wont run. not getting any spark. so I replace the crank sensor n I got the same result. so then I stuck a high dollar computer on it and it jus keeps giving me the ignition control unit or module is bad. which is roughly around $200. is there a way to bypass that system?

No, but the Junk yard will save you some cash on a ICM.

MotorCraft here for $155

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1119619,parttype,7172

Can you pull the codes again?

The word "fault" used in a diag code does not necessarily mean failure.

With an intermittent "fault" The source is likely the Crank position sensor or the Coil.

A misfire at the coil will cause a "fault" to register.

Really need those codes to narrow it down.

You may end up spending nothing. As intermittent usually means wiring; and the CPS wires see a lot of oil and road rash. I would start looking close at those wires down there first.

FYI:

This is where the "Tach and Test" wire terminates. At the EEC-IV test port.
e27c7792-ea6e-425d-b2dc-5e8964fe1996_zpsc6680ff3.jpg

NOTE: Can be used to test the PIP (CPS) signal using a low voltage probe. Also can be used as trigger for a tach or timing strobe. 5V saw tooth _/\_/\_/\_ on an oscilloscope.

93 2wd 168k mi, 4.0L 5 speed

My engine has been missing for a while now, and I just assumed it needed PM. I changed the corks & wires and have run a few bottles of injector and fuel system cleaner through the tank over a few thousand miles, but still I get a miss and rough idle. Not enough to be a big problem, but will interfere with acceleration when changing gears at low RPMS's (manual transmission) and the rough idle sounds like I don't take care of my truck.

I checked the EEC-IV codes and either the first or second group of KOEO codes, if I remember correctly, indicated an ignition control module fault. My check engine light will come on periodically but if I shut off the engine and restart, the CEL doesn't usually come back on.

This past winter, my tach started acting up - it would read low 1000's and rise and fall coinciding with engine speed, but would not indicate actual engine RPM's until the engine had been running for about fifteen minutes (from a cold 45 degree ambient start), at which point it would suddenly jump to the actual engine RPM's and indicate normally. It still acts up even in the muggy heat we have in Mississippi - incorrect RPM indication, sometimes working, sometimes not.

In the process of trying to fix my (unrelated) A/C problem, I picked up a wiring diagram from the forums and noticed that the WOT A/C cutoff relay goes to the ICM (ignition control module), which has a lead labeled "to tach & test conn."

Is that lead going to the tachometer? Would an erratic tach indication correlate with an ICM fault?

I'm down to either injectors/fuel rail or ICM/coil/crank sensor. Unfortunately the injector testing tools are expensive and require upper intake removal; and a new ICM is $150 - $250. I've got to isolate the system causing the problem so I won't have to spend twice as much, Lol.

So yeah. Love to hear some opinions/facts/ideas and see any charts or pictures y'all might have stored somewhere on your hard drive. Thanks in advance!

1992explorer40engine.gif

I have a few good used ICMs. Inbox me and send me money to cover shipping from California and ill give you one. I also have a coil. Its brand new from Autozone. I paid 90 dollars but 50 and its yours

I ended up getting a new ICM and I went over my wire harness and un plugged everything and plugged it all back in tight and it turned over and ran. mainly the 2 plug ins for the main harness did not have their full contact. it runs great and smooth but its not wanting to stay at n idle. I drove it for 10 miles n got home n let it idle and it idled for a min n then I jus wanted to die. with that being said, would I have to turn up the idle on the computer? or adjust it?

Just to update the thread, I replaced the ICM and didn't fix the problem. I gave the truck to a family member shortly after that, and didn't hear if it was fixed or not. Sorry to leave the thread hanging with no fix.

i read somewhere the wiring coming out of the crank sensor goes bad and that makes for all kinds of fun stuff not working.

I have a few good used ICMs. Inbox me and send me money to cover shipping from California and ill give you one. I also have a coil. Its brand new from Autozone. I paid 90 dollars but 50 and its yours
still have icm and coil email me at rellikdub2@gmail.com

Back