where is the Idle Air Control Valve on 2004 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

where is the Idle Air Control Valve on 2004 explorer

Zepplin454

Reaction score
City, State
Pelham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4.0
i have a 04 explorer 4.0 with the engine code K flex fuel engine with fly-by-wire throttle system and i was looking for the Idle Air Control Valve and cant find it. its not where they used to be on the older 4.0. i want to clean it cause im doing a bunch of maintence stuff before winter. it also has this little akip or studder when idleing. has new plugs and wires. coil maybe? accel make a coild for them that is suposed to have 10-15,000 more volts has anyone used one wanted to get one for a little more performance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with fly-by-wire, there is no iac, the computer can do the same thing since it actually controls the throattle plate via stepper motor.
But there is a MAF sensor that can be cleaned carefully. Vacuum leak is another possibility.

jims' right.

I *think* the break point was 2004. On earlier ones, it would be mounted where you'd expect on the tb. There are pictures in here somewhere...

Far as the coil, I couldn't find a specialty one in the same approx price range as stock. I even talked to accel about it. Well, I emailed them, and they promptly ignored me. (did you know accel and mallory appear to be the same people??)

Where'd you find that accel pack? (interested)

Shawn

yeah i'm having the same problem, its gotta have an IAC, i just bought one for an 04 explorer from advanced auto parts.

let me know if you find it

yeah i'm having the same problem, its gotta have an IAC, i just bought one for an 04 explorer from advanced auto parts.

let me know if you find it

There should no IAC on an '04, do you have a cable going to the TB?
My V8 Fly-By wire is in the pic below. Just above the '4' of the 4.6 there is a motor.

Attachments

• img003sm.jpg
    img003sm.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 31,067

No IAC on 04 4.0l

I just went thru this... took explorer to dealer, shop foreman owes me a coffee as he bet me there was an IAC .... went out to truck and with the new drive by wire system the IAC has been eliminated... They updated my pcm, I had just installed new plugs, air filter, cleaned MAF and installed new fuel filter. Truck is running much better. The fuel filter is a must if you dont know when the last time it was changed. Just my 2 cents... good luck

its gotta have an IAC, i just bought one for an 04 explorer from advanced auto parts.

So....

what do think you wound up actually getting?

PS - I can't stand advanced. The last part I bought from them was wrong, they knew it was wrong, and a poorly painted reman at that. Bleah

Back