Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

No throttle response off idle

Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Sport 'Sploder
Cedar Springs, Michigan
'97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
No throttle response off idle

I have a '97 Sport 4.0 SOHC and from a dead stop I can mash the throttle and nothing happens. No stutter, misfire, or bog; just acts like it wants to stay at idle. If I back off the throttle a bit she takes off like a rocket. So... I'm thinking it's a throttle position sensor but the "Explorer guy" at the Ford dealer I work at says they don't go bad anymore. Though I work in the washbay/detail shop, most of the techs will help me out, but they are fresh out of ideas and don't have time to help figure this out. Last I drove it there were no DTCs and no check engine light. It has new plugs/wires, new fuel filter, and a new air filter. I will plug it in tomorrow at work to check for codes, but I'm stumped. Help an Exploder newbie out please?

P.S. Also had a suggestion that I replace an "accelerator sensor". No idea if thats a real sensor or if the guy was referring to a vehicle speed sensor.
Sport 'Sploder is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
chance942
B
Las Cruces, NM
2000 Sport sohc con trac

Vehicle Specs

Idles good eh? Ever cleaned your Mass Air Flow Sensor or Idle Air Control valve? "accelerator sensor",no,never heard of that.

Whomever told you that "they don't go bad anymore" uh yeah don't put to much thought into what he has to say. You need to sneak over and ask the shope foreman some questions.some techs think they no it all and don't know jack.the foreman is old and still wrenching for a reason.i'd bypass the techies and very humbly ask the foreman.
chance942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #3
storlied
Anchorage, Alaska
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT

Vehicle Specs

That sounds exactly like a TPS issue, and they Do go bad. Have it tested in another truck, or get a junk yard one if money is tight, can't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel903 View Post
These freaken explorers! Everything breaks
Ford: Fixed Or Repaired Daily. But still going, kicking and screaming all the way. =D Yeaaah.
storlied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Disconnect the TPS connector and measure the TPS resistance with an ohmmeter as you move the throttle slowly from closed to full open. It should change continuously with no jumps.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport 'Sploder View Post
So... I'm thinking it's a throttle position sensor but the "Explorer guy" at the Ford dealer I work at says they don't go bad anymore.
Then either the 'Explorer guy' is a pompous, arrogant ass, or a 'know-it-all'. Any mechanic that claims that ANY part on a vehicle 'never' fails is a mechanic to be avoided. For the record, the TPS on my Explorer failed at 965 miles. He can pull up my service history if he'd like to see the proof.

Quote:
P.S. Also had a suggestion that I replace an "accelerator sensor". No idea if thats a real sensor or if the guy was referring to a vehicle speed sensor.
Again, I'm leaning towards the tech being a moron, know-it-all, or both. You don't HAVE an accelerator sensor. They didn't go to throttle-by-wire until the 2002 model year (and if they guy had half the experience he thinks he has, he would know that). In that case, yes, I would suspect that to be one of the plethora of possible causes.

If the guy is really willing to help you out, have him hook up his trusty NGS/WDS scanner and liik at the PID for the TPS. See what it shows at WOT. I, too, suspect it's bad.

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
Sport 'Sploder
Cedar Springs, Michigan
'97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the help guys, I'll test the TPS first chance I get. By the way gijoecam, the guy who suggested that I check the accelerator sensor was a friend who said he wasn't sure if they had them because he isn't familiar with Explorers, not the tech from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoecam View Post
If the guy is really willing to help you out, have him hook up his trusty NGS/WDS scanner and liik at the PID for the TPS. See what it shows at WOT. I, too, suspect it's bad.
I'll have to ask one of the mechanics to run the WDS scanner, I have no idea how to, or what PID or WOT stand for. There are a few guys there who are really cool and willing to answer questions, just they happen to be the busiest mechanics, go figure.
Sport 'Sploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport 'Sploder View Post
Thanks for the help guys, I'll test the TPS first chance I get. By the way gijoecam, the guy who suggested that I check the accelerator sensor was a friend who said he wasn't sure if they had them because he isn't familiar with Explorers, not the tech from work.
Sorry... didn't get that from what was written.... Ill-informed regardless.

Quote:
I'll have to ask one of the mechanics to run the WDS scanner, I have no idea how to, or what PID or WOT stand for. There are a few guys there who are really cool and willing to answer questions, just they happen to be the busiest mechanics, go figure.
Ask a couple of them if they'd be willing to help troubleshoot it after work one evening in exchange for lunch. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts someone takes you up on that offer...

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
storlied
Anchorage, Alaska
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT

Vehicle Specs

WOT stands for Wide Open Throttle. Your dead spot, when you have the pedal to the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel903 View Post
These freaken explorers! Everything breaks
Ford: Fixed Or Repaired Daily. But still going, kicking and screaming all the way. =D Yeaaah.
storlied is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page