Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

I really need some input on limp home mode.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
tyger0ne9
new orleans, la.
'04

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Smile I really need some input on limp home mode.

i have a 2004 explorer very dependable til now i hope you all can help. here is my story i helped a friend jump start his vehicle and inadvertently my posi cable came while the motor was running. that was ok i put the cable back on and tightened it and i forgot to mention i needed a jump the same morning and my starter was dragging. anyway i took it to our shop(carpentry) and did the bearing on the drivers side all done and put together i went to start it and it started in limp home mode i tried to reset the computer for ten minutes and reconnected it and nothing not even a turn over nothing. all the lights work and the battery is not dead any help will be appreciated.
tyger0ne9 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your post into its own thread in the stock 2002-2005 section. Limp home mode has a flashing overdrive light. Is that what you have now?
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Gus Gorilla
The Cradle of Naval Aviation
2001 Sport Trac 4X4

Vehicle Specs

If you needed a jump that morning, then just driving to work would not charge your battery. You would have to drive for hours on end for the alternator to completely charge a fully discharged battery. The good ol' test light might light. But it needs a charger and some time to recouperate.
Gus Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
tyger0ne9
new orleans, la.
'04

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
limp home mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBay View Post
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your post into its own thread in the stock 2002-2005 section. Limp home mode has a flashing overdrive light. Is that what you have now?
no on my model it is a amber open end wrench im thinking it needs a reset of somesort i have to get it diagnosed but the dealer wants 280.00 just for diagnostics anyway thank you for your response any other advice will greatly be appreciated
Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
tyger0ne9
new orleans, la.
'04

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
limp mode home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gorilla View Post
If you needed a jump that morning, then just driving to work would not charge your battery. You would have to drive for hours on end for the alternator to completely charge a fully discharged battery. The good ol' test light might light. But it needs a charger and some time to recouperate.

i tried my battery in another vehicle and it started it right up then i put it back in my 04 explorer and nothing not even the tell tale tick tick tick. anyway thank you for your response if you have any more suggestions it will be greatly appreciated
Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
jrford
Birmingham, MI
'10 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

Newer Battery it started right?
Is it orginal? My guess it needs a battery, might also need a Alternator too (some times they go hand in hand).

Check the Voltage, with key off it should read about ~12.8volts, running 13.3V.
There is a lot of electronics and these trucks will do strange things if the battery is even close to going bad -imo.

When i swapped mine out, the store checked it as good but the Eye was black, and if you played the radio for an hour or so the battery was near dead. So i just put a new one in and all was fine.

2004 EB Quad Buckets V8 AWD, 105k
jrford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page