Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

04 Explorer differential oil change.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
jetmechco
Queens, NY
04 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
04 Explorer differential oil change.

75K on truck - Would like to change gear oil on both F/R Diff's - Typical minor hum in rear diff - Plan on using Red Line 80-140 Syn gear oil - Find listings for rear diff gasket, but nothing for front - I assume both F/R use the same gasket - What can I expect from front diff - I have heard anything from dropping the front diff to no problem, cover comes right off - Any Suggestions/comments welcome - Thanks - Ed
jetmechco is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
spitfiresk822
Rockville, MD
98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

As far as the gasket goes, i've always just used ultra black rtv sealant with no problems whatsoever.

And for the front, if the 04's are like the 98's, (pretty sure they are, typical ifs) you cannot remove the cover without dropping the axle or crossmember, you just can't get to it. The best way to do it IMO is just to use an oil pump or any other siphon setup and pump the old out and then pump the new in.
Hope this helps
spitfiresk822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials section. See if WWW.RockAuto.Com has one. Maybe Felpro makes the gasket?
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No need for a gasket. RTV BLACK and nothing more. Make sure both surfaces are clean and dry, apply the sealant, install the cover, and LET IT CURE BEFORE REFILLING!! A couple hours is good, overnight is better.

It worked like that for the first 75,000 mile, didn't it?

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
jrford
Birmingham, MI
'10 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

i have an '04, looked at the front and went with the siphon method, its tucked like 1-2" of clearance. Rear has a drain plug. I used 80-90w Mobile 1 front and 70-140w rears. Although i hear you can use the 70-140 for both.

2004 EB Quad Buckets V8 AWD, 105k
jrford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrford View Post
i have an '04, looked at the front and went with the siphon method, its tucked like 1-2" of clearance. Rear has a drain plug. I used 80-90w Mobile 1 front and 70-140w rears. Although i hear you can use the 70-140 for both.
Depends on the specific year... Ford has changed their axle lube requirements several times over the years, and they have even assigned specific lube weights to specific configurations within the same year. In my 98, for example, the owner's manual is so ambiguous, I'm having a difficult time figuring out what the heck they want me to use!? As best I can figure, 3.27 or 3.55 open rears get 80W90. Limited slips call for friction modifier, and 3.73 or 4.10 rear ends call for 75W140 synthetic lube... Heck, I'm half-convinced you could run vegetable oil in the rear end and it would be fine in a pinch!!

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page