Power windows not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power windows not working

Post number 13 has been selected as best answered.

galbre

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8
Hello,
All 4 door's power windows are not working. That is, each door's switch will not operate the power windows. I figured it was a fuse/relay. However, I looked in the owner's guide through the entire list of fuses/relays and none call out the power windows. Everything else in the interior is working including fans, radio, dome lights, defroster etc.

Before I pull and check every fuse/relay does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Gregg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

please let me know what one it was!!! i have the same problem only my radio died too!! please respond @ bfunk62@yahoo.com

Before I pull and check every fuse/relay does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Gregg

Check the ground wires (Black) that run between the drivers door and pillar, in the rubber boot. Its not uncommon most likely you find one broken, frayed etc. . .

Same with me. It was a broken ground wire in my door boot. Happened to me a while ago, It was due to rattle from my subs, snapped the wire in two.

Look at fuse #8 I think it is. I is like delay acc. or something on my 02 mounty. I had the same problem on sunday and that is what it was. BTW it is a 60a fuse.

STU

It wound up being my power and ground wire. Both were broken in the rubber conduit between the door and the body. Got some 12AWG wire and soldered it in and everything is working.

Good deal! Glad it worked out for you!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the tips!

my windows dont work either when i push the button i hear a clicking under the dash close to the steering someware any ideas

my windows dont work either when i push the button i hear a clicking under the dash close to the steering somewhere any ideas

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

The clicking sound could be a relay. The location of the relay for the power windows should be in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

I see that you have a Ranger. The following information is for the 3rd Gen (2002-2005) Explorer. I don't know how much of this info will pertain to the Ranger. You might want to check the Ranger Sub Forum. Click here to go there now.

Having said that:

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the delayed accessories didn't work, etc. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

If all else fails, here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

Like I said, This information is for the 3rd Gen (2002-2005) Explorer. I don't know how much of this info will pertain to the Ranger. You might want to check the Ranger Sub Forum. Click here to go there now.

Good luck with the fix!! :biggthump

Thank you very much. Sorry I got on the wrong site I am new at this. Again thank you.

Thank you very much. Sorry I got on the wrong site I am new at this. Again thank you.

No worries. Good luck getting it fixed!

Solved

11k8h3b.jpg

I had no power to the windows at the driver's switch or at each door. The switches were not illuminated either.

Tested with a meter and came up dead. Still had power to locks though.

Pulled out the rubber boot between the door and frame and found the culprit: Broken ground wire. Spliced in a bit of 12 gauge wire to allow for some play and works like a charm.

I have tracked mine down to the power wire and am struggling with getting the rubber boot out of the way enough to actually insert a splice. What is the trick here? I was about to pull the panel off, disconnect the harness, then pull the door off a foot or so to see the wires and get the boot out of the way. Is there a better way? Oh - working outdoors in the 32F temps - quick is really better.

Answered my own question: Yes. Pulling the door off is pretty easy and it allows you to push the harness out of the door and get some room to fix the broken wire. Probably good to view the YouTube on getting the panel off if you haven't done it before.

Great, informative site! My Power windows won't work on passenger side (front and back) only. Driver's side both operate. Anyone else experience this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just had this problem, located a blown 30 amp Maxi fuse in the engine bay.

After pulling three door panels, and checking switches, noticing no power, it dawned on me to check the fuse box in engine compartment

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back