Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

defrost door broken on 04 xlt help needed

Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
lisfan
boston mass
2004 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
defrost door broken on 04 xlt help needed

hi guys
i recently replaced my blend door actuator, stripped gear as usual, while checking all the positions. i noticed the defrost wasnt blowing that great and i was getting heat at the bottom of the console vent , not much change from floor , mix or defrost. long story short, i pulled the radio and noticed the diaphram was was working with the yellow hose going to it but the door arm seemed broken on its shaft. do i have to pull the dash and replace the hvac or does someone have a door or a fix for this. i appreciate the help and thanks for any imformation .
it has manual / ac with roof vents on a 2004 xlt explorer 4.0. has this happened to others. 4L2z-19850-eb
is the part number for evaporator assy which comes not with plenum assy.391.00 quoted it lists for 610.00. does any one know any online dealers that are cheaper. i appreciate any help or imformation

Last edited by lisfan; 10-12-2009 at 12:05 PM.
lisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
lisfan
boston mass
2004 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
lisfan
boston mass
2004 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
i appreciate any help or imformation on dissasembly or a parts source etc
Old 10-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
male man
05 xlt rsc

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisfan View Post
i appreciate any help or imformation on dissasembly or a parts source etc
Try heatertreater.com
male man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
section525
sextion525
Red Bluff, Ca

1975 Ford Bronco 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by male man View Post
Try heatertreater.com
What does that have to do with anything?

'75 5.0 Bronco
'04 6.0 Super Duty
section525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
male man
05 xlt rsc

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by section525 View Post
What does that have to do with anything?
nice comment.

Heater treater makes kits to fix hvac doors in Explorers as well as other parts like upgraded door motors. He has free fixes as well and instructions for how to do repairs to hvac doors without removing the dash...do you understand now?
male man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
lisfan
boston mass
2004 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thank you
ill check it out .
Old 10-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
section525
sextion525
Red Bluff, Ca

1975 Ford Bronco 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
nice comment.

Heater treater makes kits to fix hvac doors in Explorers as well as other parts like upgraded door motors. He has free fixes as well and instructions for how to do repairs to hvac doors without removing the dash...do you understand now?
The site looks like spam. No where do I see any info relating to Explorer HVAC door fixes. Why don't you just link us to it?

'75 5.0 Bronco
'04 6.0 Super Duty
Old 10-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
section525
sextion525
Red Bluff, Ca

1975 Ford Bronco 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
nice comment.

I found the problem. The website is www.heatertreater.net . Not .com.

So post the correct link and don't be a dick when someone questions the spam link you just posted.

'75 5.0 Bronco
'04 6.0 Super Duty
Old 10-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
lisfan
boston mass
2004 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
i wrote to them to see if they have a fix . i appreciate the imformation. thank you. the temp door fix could save some serious coin and time.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
lisfan
boston mass
2004 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
hi guys i got an answer. i hope this helps out others too

Hi Phil,

We do not have a product specifically for this problem.

The system has a blend door to control air temperature and a separate mode door that switches between defrost/vent/floor(also a separate re-circ door). The mode door is vacuum actuated and problems with this door don't have the same root cause as the DC motor actuated blend door. The problem is a weak arm on the mode door that breaks off. You can see the axle and actuator motor through the glove box opening above the transmission tunnel on the upper back of the box. You should be able to locate the vacuum motor and find the metal rod with a broken half of the arm still attached to the end of the metal push rod.

The arm that connects to the vacuum motor is an "L" shaped piece with one leg of the arm inserted into the axle of the mode door and the other leg acting like a lever connected to the actuator motor. The plastic "L" inserts into the axle and is held in place with a molded button like the tab you depress to pull an electric connector apart. To remove the "L" piece properly, you have to completely disassemble the dash, remove the plenum box and push the little tab on the axle inside the box and the "L" slips out easily. We've had luck wedging the piece out by prying with a large screw driver and forcing it out. There's not much room to work, but you can also grab it with a pair of pliers and pull. It's like pulling an electric connector apart without pushing the tab. You can do it but it takes more force and you might damage the tab.

Once out, you can retrieve the part left in the end of the push rod and epoxy the two pieces back together. Epoxy alone won't hold and we recommend making a "splint" with a flat piece of metal and wrapping the whole piece with fine wire and coating with more epoxy. You can make the lever stronger than original with a little creativity. The "L" piece can be re-inserted into the axle and either snapped if the tab is OK, or glued back into place. Reconnect to the push rod and it's as good as new. I don't believe Ford sells just the "L" piece. It will be an expensive repair.

Thanks for your interest,

Chris Allen
PO Box 151029
Austin, Texas
78715 1029

www.heatertreater.net

-------- Original Message --------
Old 10-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
lisfan
boston mass
2004 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
the ford manuals on cd today are terrible. hard to navigate, nothing detailed like the old fashioned paper books i found out through the official ford manual that the plenum chamber that bolts to the evap housing contains the defrost door. i found a brand new evap housing with heater core very cheap is any one needs one

Last edited by lisfan; 10-31-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
lisfan
boston mass
2004 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
i got the brand new evap / heater housing today for cheap money. does anyone have the defrost plenum chamber to sell ?
thanks phil
Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
gb575
2005 Exploder

Vehicle Specs

defrost door

the heater treater post is not relevant to this guys problem.

I just got done fixing the defrost door on my 05 and the L shaped plastic lever was broke off. Here was my fix (btw, it had been replaced to the tune of $1500, dealer, less than 3 years ago), removed the dash, took the heater-box-defrost section apart. Then I used a stainless #6 machine screw and drilled through the middle of the lever and into the defrost door. Used nut and bolted the two together, and glued the nut. While the defrost section was on the bench, installed the door and vacuum motor and bench tested it. Big problem. The vacuum motor pulls the lever, past the point of the door bottoming out, thus stressing the lever.

Here was my fix, drilled a hole into the vacuum motor's push rod, and inserted a #8 stainless bolt, centered and locked in place with locknuts, to act as a stop, so the lever is not stressed when the vacuum motor trys to pull the lever past the door bottoming. Here's how it looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV-lL...e_gdata_player

I realize this is was an old thread, but good info none the less.
gb575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
treats54
Elite Explorer
Heathsville, VA
2004 xlt

Vehicle Specs

I am having the same problem with my 2004 Explorer. Just replaced the blend door and motor. Hot air still will not flow and the air box now makes a screeching sound. While looking for the problem I noticed the part was broken that you have fixed.

My question is : If I don't have the broken piece to either glue or measure for distance, can you share any hints on how to create the replacement piece?
treats54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #16
essam
Elite Explorer
UAE Abu Dhabi

Explorer 2003 XLT

Vehicle Specs

check this, post #7
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=323586