Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. For Sport Trac and Sport models use the 1995-2001 forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Whats The BIggest tires i can fit?????

Old 10-20-2009, 04:20 AM   #1
mercer21
NEWFOUNDLAND CANADA
2004 EXPLORER LIMITED

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
CAN Whats The BIggest tires i can fit?????

hey just woundering whats the ABSOLUTE bigest tires i can put on my 2002 ford explorer limited with a 3 inch roadbully lift, on stock 16 inch rims, and if i bought some wheel spacers would i be able to go any bigger then that? I dont do much offroading and when i do it isnt EXTREME offroading so i dont really worry about it banging or scrubbing, so with that factored in i want to know the absolute biggest, and if adding wheel spacers (i mean the ones that you can buy on ebay from up to 1"-2" ) would make that even bigger, or if adding wheel spacers wont even make a difference.
also if any one has any pics of these wheel spacers installed i would like to see them cause i kinda like the offset wheel look, what would be a comfortable size in these wheel spacers without looking dumb, or if you think that it wont look good at all or even make a difference to the wheel size let me know, cause i havent bought them yet, i only got the roadbully lift and thats all i want if wheelspacers isnt gonna make a difference to my tire size, but if it will let me know how much of a difference sorry for rambling on i guess i cant word it right lol so just answer these 2 questions

1. how big of tires can i get on with just a 3 inch roadbully lift maximum size for someone that dont really offroad hard?

2. maximum tire size with a roadbully lift and say 2" spacers (feel free to let me know if 2" is too big and dum lookin)both questions are for tires that will go on a 16inch stock rim.
mercer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
1_v8_merc
calvert,MD
04 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

the biggest tires you can fit on a STOCK exploder or moutaineer are 265/75/r16

So not sure about the 3 inch lift, but you can probably get an idea.

If you actually measure everything you will be able to know for sure.
(theres two different kinds of tire measurement systems, figuare it out, and measure the clearance, that's what i did, and it turned out to be deadly accurate.)

Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Limited02
Elite Explorer
Gardner, KS

'02 Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I'd says 37's are doable with the below mod

With a 3" lift, 285/75/16's might work. Read in Roadbully's thread about people who have lifted their ex/mounty and what they are running.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
macknos94
Harrisburg, pa
2003 mountaineer premier

Vehicle Specs

i agree with limited anything is possible. i think a guy did the 3 inch body lift and 285s with minor trimming. he also have 1.5 inch wheel spacers. i think the 2.5 inch spacers with 265s look great but if you want big i say go for it
macknos94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 AM   #5
rhauf
Ca
'93 and '91 explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercer21 View Post
hey just woundering whats the ABSOLUTE bigest tires i can put on my 2002 ford explorer limited with a 3 inch roadbully lift, on stock 16 inch rims, and if i bought some wheel spacers would i be able to go any bigger then that? I dont do much offroading and when i do it isnt EXTREME offroading so i dont really worry about it banging or scrubbing, so with that factored in i want to know the absolute biggest, and if adding wheel spacers (i mean the ones that you can buy on ebay from up to 1"-2" ) would make that even bigger, or if adding wheel spacers wont even make a difference.
also if any one has any pics of these wheel spacers installed i would like to see them cause i kinda like the offset wheel look, what would be a comfortable size in these wheel spacers without looking dumb, or if you think that it wont look good at all or even make a difference to the wheel size let me know, cause i havent bought them yet, i only got the roadbully lift and thats all i want if wheelspacers isnt gonna make a difference to my tire size, but if it will let me know how much of a difference sorry for rambling on i guess i cant word it right lol so just answer these 2 questions

1. how big of tires can i get on with just a 3 inch roadbully lift maximum size for someone that dont really offroad hard?

2. maximum tire size with a roadbully lift and say 2" spacers (feel free to let me know if 2" is too big and dum lookin)both questions are for tires that will go on a 16inch stock rim.

before you go adding spacers, do some reading on scrub radius, and take leverage into consideration

remember if you're adding spacers it's more strain on the wheel bearings (Because the weight is no longer centered on them) and the added scrub radius from the spacers will make steering bad, and cause bumps and objects that the tire runs into/over to cause the steering wheel to turn/swerve in that direction among other things.. i wouldn't go wider tires at the expense of added scrub radius, just me personally.
rhauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
macknos94
Harrisburg, pa
2003 mountaineer premier

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauf View Post
before you go adding spacers, do some reading on scrub radius, and take leverage into consideration

remember if you're adding wheel spacers it's more strain on the wheel bearings (Because the weight is no longer centered on them) and the added scrub radius from the spacers will make steering bad, and cause bumps and objects that the tire runs into/over to cause the steering wheel to turn/swerve in that direction among other things.. i wouldn't go wider tires at the expense of added scrub radius, just me personally.
just wanted to make it clear so people don't get confused between the lift spacers and wheel spacers. i took my wheel spacers off because i had a shake due to having the wheel spacers. then again my 1.25 inch wheel spacers were fine not shake or any neg. affects. 3rd gens are just really picky some explorers have issues other don't
macknos94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
MillerTimeX17
Firestone, CO
05 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
with just my body lift i am pretty confident that i could fit 285s on. of course some minor trimming would have to be made.

mods:Full Intake w/ K&N Filter, Electric Fan, FM 50 SUV, 3" Body, 2.5" Truxxx, 16x8 Vision Wheel 375 Warriors, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer STTs, 4 pairs of HIDs and full LED Swap, Alpine IXA W407 7" Double Din Touchscreen, Alpine 6.5" components, 2 12" Type R's, 1180w rms total
Elite Registry
MillerTimeX17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
mercer21
NEWFOUNDLAND CANADA
2004 EXPLORER LIMITED

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thanks for all the fast answers i think i have my mind pretty well made up, but could you clearify what you mean when you say with 285/75/16 that there would have to be minor trimming thank you, also if theres someone out there who has a roadbully lift and thats all and are running 285/75/16s without any other modifications to make it fit could you please let me know, and just one more qustions out of BFG MUD TERRIAN KM/2s and GOOD YEAR ATHORITOYS and HURCLEAS TRAIL DIGGERS and COOPER DISCOVERS STT
could you please rate these tires 1 being best and 4 being worst so i can get a good idea of which tires to put on those are the 4 i like and have to choose from and if any one feels that any of the tires i named are junk and wear fast or negitive feedback on them please feel free to tell me it would help me alot and if theres a tire that i havent named that one of you EXPLORER/RANGER?MOUNTY guys are currently running with your ROADBULLY LIFT please feel free to suggest them to me, once again thatnsk the answers i got really help me.
mercer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
tmsoko
Plymouth, MI
2010 Adrenalin

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Biggest I could fit were 265/50R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Should pickup this weekend. They are on 35mm backspace G_FX wheels. ONly ~1/4" to the upper ball joint and flush to the fender lip. Any wider and need less backspacing and flares.

1999 Ranger AWD - 4" stainless exhaust, Baumann 4R75W, FX4/Torsen Rear axle, Momo 20's with 305/50R20 Open Country's. Working on: 351W, forged shortblock, custom manifold / water intercooler system, 2.6L Autorotor, AFR205s and custom long tube headers.
tmsoko is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page