Dr. Jack | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Subscribing...:biggthump

I am very happy for Uncle Mike and his new status as a member and fellow wheeler.

Looking forward to helping out on the future of Dr. Jack and their future adventures with the EF Family.

Welcome to the Family Mike!

Congrats on picking up that Ex!!! Glad to see it will be in good hands.

Ok, we want to see the pictures as you make progress please.
I am truly happy you got this. I heard chevy and jeep type rumors blowing in the wind.

If that bumper rides on my lap though, it is mine. :D

Mike, I think it's great that you were able to pick up Jack's old Explorer:chug:

Jack was really a driving force behind what this site has become. He had a greater vision than I did for this community. I credit Jack for starting our first big offroad runs. It was Jack who approached Ford Motor Company about this site and eventually convinced them to join us for our first Colorado Colors Run. Over the years Ford ended up sending teams on three of our runs - CCR, Moab and Truck Haven. They sent 10 engineers or more on each run to find out what we were doing with our Explorers, and what they could do to build a more offroad worthy Explorer. Unfortunately the Firestone/Explorer situation came up at the same time. That ended Ford's involvement with the site, and apparently ended their research into an offroad worthy Explorer:(

For all of Jack's work he was never able to join us on any of the runs that Ford attended. He died shortly before our first Colorado Colors Run. It's hard to believe, but it's now been 10 years since Jack passed away. While working in Alaska at the Milne Point camp about 4 miles south of the Arctic Ocean Jack died peacefully in his sleep on August 9, 1999.

Here's to old friends and memories, and new friends and new adventures:chug:

-One heck of a rig and good guy to take it and keep its memory alive!!!

Subscribing...

Uncle Mike - it was great meeting you in Colorado (you too, Greg!) I'm glad you found a good truck, and look forward to our next trip.

I know you know this, but don't hesitate to ask any questions about building these things. And post lots of pictures!

What a group!!

Holy cow!! Thank you all for your support and encouragement!! I don't know where to start thank everyone. I will do my best to make sure Jack's legend lives on in with his explorer and I know his spirit is alive and well with the EF. I regret that I will never meet this man.
UPDATE: Didn't get back from San Antonio until today, so it took another day to troubleshoot more. Yep, it's the headgasket, but I wanted to make sure. After listing the tools and such that is needed, I feel this is above my ability to perform a good job. So I am gonna take into a maintenance shop to have the work performed. I know my limits and I don't want to screw it up.
but this is still one sweet deal. Will still list updates, and as soon as I learn how to post a pic, will start putting them on the thread.
Again, everyone, thanks, your support is nothing short of outstanding!!!:salute:

Last edited:

Yep, it's the headgasket, but I wanted to make sure. After listing the tools and such that is needed, I feel this is above my ability to perform a good job. So I am gonna take into a maitenance shop to have the work performed.

If you can hold out a little longer, I can help out with the repairs. Looks like it will be the end of November before I can make it down. Your call.

Good luck with this rig. It looks like a beast.

Change number 1001, after getting a price for headgasket replacement, I decided screw that, and it is time for me to get back to turning a wrench anyhow, it has been close to 17 years since I did actual automotive work, but just have to suck it up and get back into it, and besides, I now have the EF family, so I ain't gonna loose. Can't get into the head this weekend, so will start on that the following weekend, just gonna do some inside customizing during the week and pick up all information that I can. Still excited as all get out on working on Dr. Jack and getting it back to trailing.
Once again, Thank you everyone for the support and comments I have been getting from the EF family!!!!:salute:

Since its been a while, try the bag & tag method for related parts. This will help you remember what goes where. A piece of tape marked for the electrical connectors is a great aid as well.

Might look around for a set of good heads, either on the forum, or locally. Take advantage of the discounts offered by the EF vendors for gaskets, new head bolts, and what not. Post questions in a diff thread when your stumped or needing help on something. T-55 torx bits(socket torx 1/2" drive) are needed for the head bolts, other than that a normal set of Metric & SAE hand tools are all you should need.

Subscribed... cant wait :)

Got to do a little of the Explorer this weekend, not finding much wrong, got some rewireing to do, the only thing that will not pass state inspection is rear plate light and right taillight lens. Put a different shift handle on, a T-handle just didn't feel right. Began to remove items to get to the headgasket, just air induction and a/c compressor. Gonna get the title transferred next week, spoke with DMV and will be getting an "inop" registration. That way I am with in the legal limit for transfer in this state. Got a friend lined up to make a front and maybe a rear bumber. Still ahead of the goal by a long shot!!!:D

great to hear uncle mike. Lets see some more pictures!!!:D

WhooWhee!!!! Wow can things change for the good. The plan is now to go to Mo and get the engine replaced and a manuel transfer for the Dr. Jack. This is planned for the 2nd weekend in November. I have been sweating bullets that I was gonna see a cracked block when changing the headgasket. I like this plan a heap more.
Have just done more minor things this week, removed the ash tray and reinstalling the cover with the utilitly outlet and rocker switches for future lights, got the title transferred today, a whopping 78 dollars, found a lens cover in a junk yard.
This weekend plan on installing the rock sliders, if mother nature lets me, a lot of needed rain lately.
Thank You EF for your support!!
Pics are coming when I figure it out how to post. ( my computer still uses morse code and pony express)

Unclemike we can post some more pics for ya here in about 2 weeks :)
Some sweet action photos also:)

Unclemike we can post some more pics for ya here in about 2 weeks :)
Some sweet action photos also:)

SOUNDS GREAT!!!!! Sorry for the delay in responding but work had me back in San Antonio for a few days, and the hotel's computer worked less than I did.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No problem, I know how things can get and tie us up for awhile, Im excited about you and Greg coming all the way here, I think will have to BBQ some steak outta my freezer and I have little bit of site seeing planned for Friday.

Back