Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

Transmission failure (leaking fluid around bellhousing)

Old 10-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
jclaudii

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Transmission failure (leaking fluid around bellhousing)

99 explorer 4x4 with 4.0 sohc 200+ thousand miles

Transmission stopped working with my mother-in-law and she pulled over. She said there was a ton of fluid behind her on the road and also at the pull over spot. I put three quarts in it and it only made it about a mile or so before it started pouring out between the engine and the transmission hitting the exhaust and catalytic converter on it's way to the ground.

What could it be, we plan on fixing it ourselves, or at least a majority of it. Could it be something as simple as a seal? Any thoughts or ideas?
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
jclaudii

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
we'll I hope not everyone speaks up at once....Perhaps no one else has had their tranny's leaking their life fluid all over the place. Any ideas?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Was she driving on an incline at a highway speed in overdrive? Sometimes the front seal blows out under a load when it gets hot. Check the coolant level in the radiator.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
holter95
MPLS, MN
'01 Mountie V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

My understanding is the bellhousing is supposed to be dry in the 5R55E. If you're leaking from there, you've got big troubles. If you already have had driveability problems, the trans is probably toast.

Get it to your local tranny repair shop immediately. You're likely in for a rebuild. ~$1500-1600 is the norm. Sorry for the bad news, but at 200K miles the 5R55E is on borrowed time.
holter95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
jclaudii

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Well the mnl got a mini-van as her replacement vehicle, but she would like this one still fixed up as an extra for the family if we need it. Plus it's 4x4 in case the weather gets bad.

In anycase, I have not had a chance to lift the vehicle up some and pull the transmission. Once I do I bet I can get a better understanding of what happened. I saw that there are several people that have rebuilt their transmission and added a shift kit, I plan on doing the same. After all, how hard could it be? Thanks for any help/info on how to do this and where to get a repair manual for the transmission.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

What kind of minivan did she get? The repair manual for this transmission is either the Ford 3 ring binder or the ATSG soft cover repair manual.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
jclaudii

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
She got a 2001 honda odyssey. Not a bad little ride with lots of room and the dealer she got it from will fix anything for a $100 deductable for the next 3 years.

Anyway, I still have not had a chance to drop this tranny yet and see if it's an easy fix or not. I figure I'll start by removing the bell housing shield and looking to see if I can see where the fluid is coming from.

I figure if I have to remove the transmission, I might as well remove the engine and fix the timing chain noise since it sounds like a diesel.

If you guys run accross or have bookmarked any great sites or build-up, or rebuild how too's please pm them to me or pass them along so I can get ready to rebuild this bad boy this winter hopefully.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
jclaudii

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
We got the transmission out and found the pump seal to be in good shape. We went ahead and replaced it, checked the bolts around the housing and we are in the process to put it back in. We'll finish the top bolts in the morning. Then were going to drop the pan inspect the valve body and replace the filter. Only thing we can think of is a leaky valve body causing excess case pressure or something. Also, we did find the vent line to be clogged to the transmission. It is now open.

What do we need to check after pan is off tomorrow?

thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

There isn't too much to check when the pan is off other than the condition of the valve body gasket, and the internal wiring harness.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
drdoom
VA
1997 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Fire

Mine caught fire when this happened...the scanner says it has something to do with Torque Converter Clutch System stuck off. It caused the transmission to overheat when it slipped, and blew a couple of quarts onto the exhaust system. Just like you described, an oil slick on the street. I have been told the front seal cannot hold the pressure of the overheated fluid, and it blows right past. I am going to pull it down in a few days, to inspect it so I can get the parts on order for a rebuild.
drdoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page