• Register Today It's free!

transmission rebuild

GNORSKI89

Reaction score
City, State
Zion, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford Explorer XLT
ok i would like to know about how hard it is to rebuild a transmission off of a 1998 ford explorer im pretty sure its a 5r55e but im not positive im just trying to find out what would all go into it and also opinions. My ford explorer has a 160000 miles and it needs about 2000 to 2200 to get it just road ready thats with getting the transmission rebuilt but do you think its worth it to put that kind of money into it like i love my truck to death i even had a dream about that thing which is why i think it is worth it i just want some opinions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I rebuild my 3 months ago by following the "rebuilt diary" here. It takes time and spent about 500.00 in parts but the darn thing acted up again this week. It's not that hard, just takes a lot of time especially following the directions.

Welcome to this forum! It depends how comfortable you feel about taking on a project like this. Take your time, double check each step, and read an ATSG rebuild manual first. You could do a valve body rebuild first if you don't want to take on the entire project at one time. Gather parts & tools before you start.

GNORSK, I pondered the same question on my 99 EX Sport as you did "rebuild for $2000 or sell out".

Well considering that other than the transmission the truck runs great and that if I sold it as-is with the transmission issue I doubt I'd get more that $1000 for it, I decided to have the transmission rebuilt. I hope to get it back this week.

Ask yourself, how much would you pay for your EX assuming it runs good and has a documented newly rebuilt transmission? I ask that question to myself and decided I'd pay around $4000, so given that the rebuild is around $2000 and without it I'd only get $1000 for it, I figured by rebuilding it vs. selling it I save $1000 over buying another one just like it.

I know this is kind of a twisted way of looking at it, but also think about how much it will cost to replace it with another used vehicle which you have no confirmed history on.

My vote is if you like the EX then fix the transmission. If the engine blows up tomorrow you could at least get $1000 for the rebuilt transmission plus maybe $500 for the truck, so your risk is only $1500.

As for whether to rebuild yourself or have it done? By doing it yourself you could save around $1500, but factor in your time, vehicle down time and the lack of a warranty. Also your decision needs to factor in your abilities. Not all of us have the skills and knowledge of "BrooklynBay". I consider myself a fairly good shade-tree mechanic, but there's a reason they charge $1000 for labor just to rebuild the transmission, because it ain't that easy and there are allot of opportunities to do something wrong only to find them out after you put the transmission back in.

Good luck on your decision,
Blueraven

Got mine back today and it was a total rebuild. Total cost was $1,800.

Blueraven

It drives like it should, but I've only put 25 miles or so on it. Yes the shop is member of the ATRA and it has a 24 month/24,000 mile warranty.

Blueraven

thanks all of you for your responses and opinions. well i think i have made up my mind. well first things first im going to take it to emissions and see if it passes and if it does then im going to take and go to the junkyard and pick up a transmission and see how it works. if it lasts then im going to use that until i save enough money to get it rebuilt. after that big plans hopefully money all depends

If you're up to replacing it yourself, you might want to checkout E-bay. I can't vouch for the seller, but the prices and warranties they offer seem good ($500 for used, $8-900 rebuilt). Also, their feedback is positive. Just search 5R55E.

The price is about right. My rebuild invoice states they charged $893 for the transmission parts.

I do know there are ton of "Cash for Clunkers" Explorers out there. Recommendation; if you are pulling it out of a junker, run a Car Fax on the VIN and verify the mileage.

Good luck,
Blueraven

Blueraven

The hardest part of all is removing that darn exhaust crossover pipe. If you're going to tackle it yourself, start spraying penetrating oil on those bolts on the pipes connecting the exhaust manifolds cause you'll need all the help you can get. I had to cut mine off with a torch because it rounded off and weld it back after tranny install.

Back