Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Aerostar Tech Forum > Aerostar Forum

Notices

Aerostar Forum The Ford Aerostar shares a lot of common parts with the Ford Explorer. Besides that a lot of our members own an Aerostar and an Explorer.

Front differential fluid!!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
caravanturbo
hamilton ontario
95 aerostar 4wd

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Dk Exp Front differential fluid!!

hey guys i just bought a 95 xlt 4wd and i'm trying to change the front diff fluid.
1. What kind of fluid should i use? i looked it up at partsource and it says to use atf? but i've never heard of a diff that takes atf.
2. it there and way to drain the fluid with out removing the whole diff assembly?

any info/tips would be great, thanks a bunch
caravanturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! You have to remove the cover to drain the fluid. There is a fill plug on the top corner. Do you have an owner's manual? It should say what type of fluid to use. I use gear oil for the rear on mine.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
caravanturbo
hamilton ontario
95 aerostar 4wd

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thank you! and yes for the rear u just take the cover off but on the 4wd FRONT differential there are 2 problems, there is about an inch between the front crossmember and the diff cover so u cant get to all the bolts, number 2 is that i've found in 2 different lubricant books that the FRONT differential takes ATF, but i have never seen a diff take atf before! plus the old stuff thats in it is tan colored and milky because my vent popped off and i got water in it. and i cant find anywhere on the intrernet that says anything about what fluid it takes
Old 11-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

This is what Ford recommends:

LUBRICANT CAPACITIES:
U.S. Ounces: 35. Liters: 1.04. Dana Model 28-2 Front Drive Axle.

Use Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or -DDX or equivalent MERCON® fluid.

Another part of the manual says:

Dana 28: 48 ounces. 1.41 liters. Dana 35: 56 ounces. 1.65 liters.
Use 4x4 Gear Oil, F1TZ-19580-A meeting Ford specification WSL-M2C191-A (F1TZ-19580-A has no equivalent).

One more part of the manual says:

Dana 35 IFS: 52 ounces. 1.54 liters.

Use non-synthetic Unocal Thermal Stable Lubricant (Dana No. 44684) meeting Ford specification WSP-M2C197-A.

Last edited by BrooklynBay; 11-06-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
caravanturbo
hamilton ontario
95 aerostar 4wd

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thanks alot i got the fluid changed and instead if dropping the axle i just took out all of the bolts except the top 3 and pried the pan out just enough for all the fluid to drain. squirted some copper silicone in between and its good to go with no leaks so far!!

changing of front differential fluid completed
Old 11-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Thanks for the update! What kind of fluid did you end up using, and how much fluid did it need?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
tor
96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I am trying to do the same thing. Question: The plug that sits on the left side of the differential (about half way up), is that the fill plug/hole? Is that fillhole the level of oil needed. (i.e. it should come out of that plughole when the oil level is correct?
tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Good thought- for you guys that ask for a solution, then find one, post what all you DID!!! It helps the forum by having the info here for other members, like what fluid you used, and how much- since it was apparently an issue in the book!!

Old 06-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
biggun
detroit Lakes, MN
92 aerostar Extended AWD

Vehicle Specs

Front differential fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
Good thought- for you guys that ask for a solution, then find one, post what all you DID!!! It helps the forum by having the info here for other members, like what fluid you used, and how much- since it was apparently an issue in the book!!
The front diff takes ATF as it has needle bearings and seals. If you use gear lube it will eat the seals and fry the bearings.
biggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
eemer600
Idaho
1997 Ford Aerostar

Vehicle Specs

Yes, it is Dexron/Mercon in the Aerostar front Differential

I can testify to what the previous post said about what happens when someone puts gear oil in the Aerostar from differential. A shop who thought they knew better put gear oil in my front differential, and then it would not hold anything. I kept refilling it with Mercon, but it would not hold. The seals were already shot. Then the ring/pinion got ate up and noisy. Good news is the bearings never failed.
eemer600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page