Possible to replace just the alternator pulley? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible to replace just the alternator pulley?

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02-04 Explorers
I've got a terrible squeak - isolated to alternetor pulley but hoping I don't have to replace alternator?? Tried spraying with PB Blaster but only helps for a few seconds. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's nothing with the alternator pulley itself that can cause a squeak. That sounds like to me that the alternator bearings are going bad.

Anyway to squelch the squeak without replacing alternator? Thanks.

Is it possible to replace bearings or lubricate them etc. Spending $200 and taking the time to replace alternator just to fix a squeak seems much? How long will the bearings or alternator usually lasts after they start making noise? Thanks.

Are you sure it's the alternator? Try replacing the serpentine belt first, usually the belt gets slick and squeaks. If it's a pulley/bearing, usually the idler or tensioner pulleys do the squeaking.

I replaced idler pulley with no luck - squeek seems to be located at the alternator. I've sprayed lubricant @ the alternator pulley and noise goes away for a few seconds. The squeek also goes away when the vehicle is driven for awhile? The belt looks ok but I'll try that before replacing alternator. What is in the alternotor that can squeek and is there a remedy without replacing? Thanks.

Are you sure it's the alternator? Try replacing the serpentine belt first, usually the belt gets slick and squeaks. If it's a pulley/bearing, usually the idler or tensioner pulleys do the squeaking.

I confirmed alternator by removing the belt.

Mine started chirping and lasted less than a half year after that. I found them for $150 with a lifetime warranty.

Mine is doing the same exact thing. i'd spray wd-40 in the idler pulley and it'd quit. replaced the idler pulley, and it's still doing it. Belt dressing made it worst, so that's why i was guessing the idler pulley. Is it possible the wd-40 is getting on the belt and quieting it down? I'm going to replace the belt tonight and see what that does. It seemed the noise was generating from the idler pulley. I'll change the tensioner arm pulley bearing next.

No one else has any insight on this?

Back