• Register Today It's free!

No power to fuel pump relay

Pumfe

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ranger
Whats up all. Ive read several of the posts but couldnt find one that has the same issue as mine. My truck had sat for about a year and the engine and tranny were replaced. Once installed, it fired up and ran fine. Then I tried to start it later and it would try to fire, but wouldnt run. I unplugged the battery and the next day it fired up and ran fine.
I had a hard time starting it again 8 miles later, but it ran and went about 100 yards and shut down again. Hasnt run since.
I have verified that it is not getting fuel. The fuel pump works when the cover from the fuel pump relay is removed and operated manually. There is not 12V coming into the relay in the power box in the engine compartment.
The check engine light turns on when you turn the key to on.
What can I do to figure out if it is the computer or a wire issue, which seems to me it would be unlikely.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The check engine light turns on when you turn the key to on.

..Get your codes read and we can better help you...;)

I actually think it's a wiring issue. The time elapsed between shutdowns getting shorter and shorter until it completely dies sounds like a wire somewhere that was either overheating and burning the insulation off, then/or popped a fuse after shorting out. If it sat that long, I'll bet you had a rodent issue, and someone snacked on some wires... :)

Sounds like you whats goin on already. Time to get the wire diagram and start tracing the wires.

That is so much fun you wont be able to stand it. LOL

Is there a fuse to check?

...There is a relay fuse and a relay, both located in the power distribution box under the hood on the 95 and newer Rangers...

OK guys, I just got back into the country and messed around a little more. I have discovered that if I short the fuel relay out, the truck still wont start. That prompted me to check for spark.... And.... no spark. When I replaced the motor I replaced the complete engine with all components. I think the year was a 2003 and my truck is a 2002. Everything plugged in just fine so Im confident there is not a compatibility issue. I have 2 spare coil packs so I can swap that out to see if its the issue, but is that likely? Would a bad coil also effect the fuel supply?

Im still suspecting the computer or something to do with the PATS.

OK guys, I just got back into the country and messed around a little more. I have discovered that if I short the fuel relay out, the truck still wont start. That prompted me to check for spark.... And.... no spark. When I replaced the motor I replaced the complete engine with all components. I think the year was a 2003 and my truck is a 2002. Everything plugged in just fine so Im confident there is not a compatibility issue. I have 2 spare coil packs so I can swap that out to see if its the issue, but is that likely? Would a bad coil also effect the fuel supply?

Im still suspecting the computer or something to do with the PATS.

did you ever figure it out?

Back