Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood > Explorer, Ranger, A/C & Heater systems HVAC

Notices

Explorer, Ranger, A/C & Heater systems HVAC Ford Explorer, Ranger, Mountaineer, Bronco II, Air Conditioning and Heating Systems.

1997 Explorer heater problems.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
chefsexplorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
1997 Explorer heater problems.

Ok so I have a puzzle on my hands, my heater in my explorer is not working! I have changed the thermostat, fluched the heater core and checked the blended door. When I turn on the heat air blows out of the vents like it should but its not hot. The car warms up like it should, and today it did get a little warm while I was driving down the road but as soon as I stopped at a red light it went back to being cold again. Does anyone know what could be going on that would cause this?? Your help is greatly appericated!
chefsexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the A/C & heater section. Check the coolant level. It might be low. A vacuum leak or a bad blend door actuator could create similar problems.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
chefsexplorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks so much, The coolant levels seem to be where they should, the blend door is working properly, how would I check the vaccume leak and where would I start looking? Thanks!
chefsexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Check the heater control valve.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Peanut74
Prattville, Alabama
1997 XLT; 325,000 miles

Vehicle Specs

Same issue

Where would the heater control valve be located? I have same issue with the heater and A/C. I have checked the blend door, the actuater, the the fluid level and found no issues.
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Welcome to this forum! Follow the heater hoses. You will see the valve near the heater core on the passenger's side under the hood.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Peanut74
Prattville, Alabama
1997 XLT; 325,000 miles

Vehicle Specs

Well I found the heater control valve. It was located on the front of the engine on the passenger side. Now the next step how do you check to see if it is operating or not. I have tried various settings on the controls but I did not see the little arm move. I just want to make sure it is broke before I spend time and effort replacing it.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Jlupien
Brockton, MA
1997 XLT 5.0

Vehicle Specs

I'm having the same problem as you warm but not hot air... Blower motor blows fine, coolant full, blend door works.
I checked my heater control valve and that also seems fine.

To check it, depress the middle of it (the rubber top) with the engine running and warm.. if you reach your other hand in the passenger window and feel the air blowing, the air should cool off as you depress the valve (you are stopping coolant from flowing in the core) Release and you should feel the air warm up again.

If I turn the temperature selector to cold the temperature doesn't change so I'm thinking the problem is the control knob (heater blend door actuator to be precise)
Jlupien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
Peanut74
Prattville, Alabama
1997 XLT; 325,000 miles

Vehicle Specs

Well I checked mine today by turning the control to A/C MAX and it cycled the arm to full closed. At any other normal setting the arm stays at the same location (full open). The question I have now is "Does the valve just go fully open/fully closed or does it partically close depending on when the temperature control is set?"

Tomorrow I plan on marking the location of the arm and see if it moves at different temperature settings. Since it does function I know I don't have a vacuum leak in the line. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
Peanut74
Prattville, Alabama
1997 XLT; 325,000 miles

Vehicle Specs

Well I checked it out the arm it is only fully open or fully closed. Fully closed on MAX A/C and full open at any other setting. At the same time I flushed the system out but that did not help any. I also rechecked the mixing door actuator and that does cycle the way it should. Also rechecked the mixing door pin and that is not broke. Next thing I will check is the temp control inside.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Peanut74
Prattville, Alabama
1997 XLT; 325,000 miles

Vehicle Specs

Well I just figured out what my issue was. The blend door was stuck. I read some threads where they said the door got stuck. I hit the casing with my dead blow hammer and all of sudden I had heat that I could regulate.

It is strange that it did not break either the actuator or blend door pin but I sure glad it didn't
Old 01-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Thanks for the update!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
Maluminse
1997 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

First post

Joined due to this problem.

Excellent thread. It appears a lot of Exp owners have it.

I will try banging. If that doesnt work ill cut a hole in it.
Maluminse is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
1997 explorer, heater problems

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page