Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Projects - Hobbies and Additional Topics > Projects - Hobbies - DIY > Tools and Garage

Notices

Tools and Garage A forum to discuss tools and shop setup.

Changing tires, what size compressor and impact wrench

Old 11-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Marcus Aurelius
Toms River, NJ

2001 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Changing tires, what size compressor and impact wrench

It's getting about time I need to rotate my tires and I'd like to do it myself. What sized air compressor do I need, based on horsepower, gallon size, etc., to rotate the tires on my explorer and what sized impact wrench do I need, either 1/2" or 3/8". I'd like to help my parents out christmas shopping so they pick up the right tools for the job. Thanks for any possible input.

-Marc
Marcus Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
RockRanger
Elite Ranger
Fresno CA

86 ranger no more

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
1/2" impact. The Ingresall rand ones are nice but are $$$. I have a harbor freight earthquake series and for the price it works well. I wouldn't want to use it daily though. It is heavy. For a compressor get an oil bath one. The oiless ones are LOUD. Did I mention they are LOUD. Anthing over about 15 gallons would work. A 25 or bigger would let you grow into it and use more air tools.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
rhauf
Elite Explorer
Ca

'93 and '91 explorer

Vehicle Specs

i never use anything more than a jack, a jackstand (or second jack) and an X shaped tire wrench for tire changing/rotation etc. if you put on you're wheel lugs with an impact wrench you're asking for problems IMO (too tight, hard to torque evenly, etc)

but if you're looking for air tools, i agree with what Rockranger said.
rhauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
You could get an electric impact wrench if you need something portable, and strong enough to remove lug nuts.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
Brian1
Elite Explorer
Albuquerque, NM

1991 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBay View Post
You could get an electric impact wrench if you need something portable, and strong enough to remove lug nuts.
I agree, if you dont need a compressor for anything else than changing tires a good cordless impact is a nice tool to have. Get a good brand like Milwaukee or Dewalt.
Brian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Marcus Aurelius
Toms River, NJ

2001 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I don't plan on using the compressor that much. Mostly for rotating tires, but also for some woordworking projects. I would not use it to put the lugs back on, it was mainly for removing the lugs. I want to lessen my chance of stripping the threads on the lugs, so I would always use a torque wrench. It's just sometimes the lug nuts are on a little too tight to do by hand, so I thought the impact wrench might help.

-Marc
Old 11-28-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
rhauf
Elite Explorer
Ca

'93 and '91 explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
I don't plan on using the compressor that much. Mostly for rotating tires, but also for some woordworking projects. I would not use it to put the lugs back on, it was mainly for removing the lugs. I want to lessen my chance of stripping the threads on the lugs, so I would always use a torque wrench. It's just sometimes the lug nuts are on a little too tight to do by hand, so I thought the impact wrench might help.

-Marc
the impact wrench may help if its a good strong one, although the cheap harbor freight impact wrench i have is far less powerful than just using a wrench. (yeah its junk)

i have a suggestion though, if you don't do this already, you should clean the threads of you're wheel lugs (if they're rusty or dirty) and put a little oil, or grease on them before putting them back on. that will prevent them from rusting, they will torque properly, and they'll come off nicely next time. and no, they wont come loose on their own from being oiled (bolts are normally oiled before they are torqued).
rhauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Marcus Aurelius
Toms River, NJ

2001 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
From your opinions, I have come to the conclusion that an air compressor and impact wrench aren't necessary. I will probably just end up using the x-shaped wrench it comes with or a battery powered impact wrench for the occasional small job. Thanks again.

-Marc
Old 11-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
section525
sextion525
Red Bluff, Ca

1975 Ford Bronco 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Marc - I blew up my air impact yesterday during a tire rotation so I borrowed my neighbors electric Milwaukee to finish the job. I'll be buying one today. I was absolutely awesome and fast.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
He got it for $119 at a local fastener store.

Of course I usually just use the T wrench on the Explorer.. but since the Superduty has so many dang lug nuts, a powered wrench is almost required.

'75 5.0 Bronco
'04 6.0 Super Duty
section525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Home Depot has it for $169 when I clicked onto the link. It's pretty powerful @ 300 LBS. I have a similar one from Ingersoll Rand that is 290 LBS, and cost more. I once burned it up, and had to purchase a replacement armature, and stator. I think it was around $60 for the parts. There are cordless versions with a high torque rating if you need something portable.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page