Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

Camshaft Position Sensor on 99 Sport 4.0 SOHC...

Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Stang GirL Racin
Cleburne, Texas
1999 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Unhappy Camshaft Position Sensor on 99 Sport 4.0 SOHC...

About 2 days ago I noticed my lovely check engine light appear on my dash. I have a 1999 Explorer Sport with the 4.0 V6, 2wd SOHC. I went by Autozone so they could tell me which code it was throwing and hopefully decipher the problem. Apparently it was the code for the Camshaft Position Sensor. Got the part, even got them to print some handy instructions on how to install said part...however I do not know WHERE its located. I have googled it, hoping to find some sort of diagram, and may resort to trying to find my owners manual if all else fails but I thought maybe someone here has done this before? I'm used to working on my 95 Mustang GT, far from a 6 cylinder...this thing is just so backwards to me. Any help is much appreciated
Stang GirL Racin is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
2000XPLORERSPORT
lambertville,mi.
2000 FORD EXPLORER SPORT

Vehicle Specs

well on mine its in the front of the engine at the bottom just under the pulley. but i got the ohv motor. the sohc is located different. i believe yours is located on the left valve cover right next to your oil cap.

4.0l ohv red taylor 8.8mm spiro pro wires, motorcraft platinum plugs,royal purple 5w-30 oil,k&n oil filter,valvoline synthetic brake fluid,red top optima battery under the hood.volant cai,helix throttle body spacer,2 1/2" pipe ran into turbo 2 muffler with no cats,adjusted tps to .96volts,lowered 3"
2000XPLORERSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
CMP location

Its on the top of the driver's side valve cover about a forth of the way aft from the front. Its small so be sure you got the CMP sensor for the SOHC and not for the OHV.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
On the SOHC, as viewed from the driver's side of the engine bay:

(upper intake plenum removed)

Last edited by IZwack; 12-03-2009 at 10:39 AM.
IZwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

from the drivers side

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZwack View Post
On the SOHC, as viewed from the passenger's side of the engine bay:

. . .
(upper intake plenum removed)
Unless your vehicle is set up for driving in the United Kingdom I believe that your photo was taken from the driver's side.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Woops sorry, edited original post.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Stang GirL Racin
Cleburne, Texas
1999 Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks very much ya'll...will give it a whirl and see how it goes!
Stang GirL Racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
Wrench
Courtenay, BC
99 B4000 4.0L OHV

Vehicle Specs

Whoa! Just because it gave a code number for the CMP does not mean the sensor is wrong. By the way what was the code number. Could be you have an electrical problem to sensor of maybe the camshaft is out of sync.
Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
2000XPLORERSPORT
lambertville,mi.
2000 FORD EXPLORER SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
Whoa! Just because it gave a code number for the CMP does not mean the sensor is wrong. By the way what was the code number. Could be you have an electrical problem to sensor of maybe the camshaft is out of sync.
i get a code p0340 i believe. its cam position sensor malfunction.

4.0l ohv red taylor 8.8mm spiro pro wires, motorcraft platinum plugs,royal purple 5w-30 oil,k&n oil filter,valvoline synthetic brake fluid,red top optima battery under the hood.volant cai,helix throttle body spacer,2 1/2" pipe ran into turbo 2 muffler with no cats,adjusted tps to .96volts,lowered 3"
2000XPLORERSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Check connector & wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000XPLORERSPORT View Post
i get a code p0340 i believe. its cam position sensor malfunction.
The following is from the Ford 2000 OBD System Operation Summary:

"The ignition system is checked by monitoring three ignition signals during normal vehicle operation:
Profile Ignition Pickup (CKP, commonly known as PIP), the timing reference signal derived from the
crankshaft 36-tooth wheel and processed by the EDIS chip. PIP is a 50% duty cycle, square wave signal
that has a rising edge at 10 deg BTDC.
Camshaft IDentification (CMP, commonly known at CID), a signal derived from the camshaft to identify the
#1 cylinder
Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM), a signal that indicates that the primary side of the coil has fired. This
signal is received as a digital pulse width signal from the EDIS chip. The EDIS chip determines if the
current flow to the ignition coil reaches the required current (typically 5.5 Amps for COP, 3.0 to 4.0 Amps
for DIS) within a specified time period (typically > 200 microseconds for both COP and DIS). The EDIS
chip also outputs status information when the engine is not running.
First, the relationship between successive PIP events is evaluated to determine whether the PIP signal is rational.
Too large a change in 3 successive PIP indicates a missing or noisy PIP signal (P0320). Next, the CMP edge
count is compared to the PIP edge count. If the proper ratio of CMP events to PIP events is not being maintained
(for example, 1 CMP edge for every 8 PIP edges for an 8-cylinder engine), it indicates a missing or noisy CMP
signal (P0340).
Finally, the relationship between IDM edges and PIP edges is evaluated. If there is not an IDM
edge (coil firing) for every PIP edge (commanded spark event), the PCM will look for a pattern of failed IDM events
to determine which ignition coil has failed. If the ignition coil cannot be identified or if the engine is running and
there are no IDM edges, the IDM circuit is malfunctioning (P1351)."

My advice is to check the wire to the CMP sensor for breaks or shorts. Then disconnect and connect the connector a few times to clean it. If that doesn't help, remove the sensor and clean if possible. Then replace the sensor.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
99exploder6
roselle park new jersey
99 xlt

Vehicle Specs

re about cps

the camshaft positoning sensor is located on the back of the engine wedged behind the intake manafold your best bet is to change the whole peice cause they go at the same time. it will take about 4 hours to do and dont forget to get all the plenam gaskets. sorry about my spelling got a massive headach and cant see
99exploder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
snoranger
Elite Explorer
Jackson, NJ

94 limited on 35's

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99exploder6 View Post
the camshaft positoning sensor is located on the back of the engine wedged behind the intake manafold your best bet is to change the whole peice cause they go at the same time. it will take about 4 hours to do and dont forget to get all the plenam gaskets. sorry about my spelling got a massive headach and cant see
Welcome to the forum.

You are correct, the OHV engine has a cam pos sensor at the back of the engine. The only problem is that the SOHC engine, (thats the engine being discussed in this thread) doesnt have a cam pos sensor at the back of the block. The cam pos sensor is in the driverside valve cover.

Ranger bed trailer build
snoranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
SoNic67
Newport News, VA
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
I had that infamous P0340 code on a V8 5.0L engine (two wire sensor too). It was... the alternator. It was putting it out only 13.1V - I guess the Hall sensor was sensitive to clean voltage. Changing the alternator fixed the code and voltage returned to 14.5V (runnig, of course).
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
drjoaquin
Houston
1999 Explorer Sport 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Dk Exp OK so how you replace just the Camshaft Positioning Sensor on the 4.0 SOHC

Ok so how do you replace the sensor. I just picked up a new one at auto zone for 25 bucks and i am looking at the old sensor on the valve cover on my engine...thanks to the picture above. Can i just unsrew the srew pull out and stick the new sensor in. Seems to easy!

Mine 1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2wd 4.0 SOHC, Vin ends in E

Your help would be appreaciated.

Last edited by drjoaquin; 12-28-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: forgot the year
drjoaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
snoranger
Elite Explorer
Jackson, NJ

94 limited on 35's

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoaquin View Post
Ok so how do you replace the sensor. I just picked up a new one at auto zone for 25 bucks and i am looking at the old sensor on the valve cover on my engine...thanks to the picture above. Can i just unsrew the srew pull out and stick the new sensor in. Seems to easy!

Mine 1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2wd 4.0 SOHC, Vin ends in E

Your help would be appreaciated.
It really is that easy.

Ranger bed trailer build
snoranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
drjoaquin
Houston
1999 Explorer Sport 2WD

Vehicle Specs

OK if it doesnt start back up its your fault.....lol
Old 12-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #17
drjoaquin
Houston
1999 Explorer Sport 2WD

Vehicle Specs

ok that was easy...started right up but didnt fix the knocking noise. Runs like a champ but loud. One guy said he replaced the sensor and the knocking went away. Well now i can eliminate the sensor. Any suggestions...and thanks for the quick reply
Old 12-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
boominXplorer
Elite Explorer
Virginia Beach, Va

00 4x4 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Timing chain guides are toast I bet. They will cause the cams to slightly advance and retard on their own since there is no tension on the chains causing the CEL.

2002 Explorer 4dr for Parts
My eBay auctions
boominXplorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
drjoaquin
Houston
1999 Explorer Sport 2WD

Vehicle Specs

BTW: The knock has been there for years but you only heard it foir a few seconds on startup then it quited down but now it stays loud. It seems to come more from the rear than front. I cant imagine rocker arms would just start knocking over night.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page