Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

How do I test the 4x4 switch (buttons)?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
motopsycho650
Denver, CO
1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
How do I test the 4x4 switch (buttons)?

Not too long ago, I put a re-built tranny from a '92 explorer into a '94 explorer. The original '92 transfer case was installed in the '94 with the tranny, and I still have the t-case from the '94.

The other day, I tried 4 wheel drive. I hit the button, and nothing. Not clicks from the t-case, and no dash lights. Later that day, I had the 4x4 light on the dash, and the light next to the button come on. After more fiddling, they went back out.

I jacked up the front wheels, and tried turning the front drive shaft. Turns out that the t-case is stuck in 4 wheel drive regardless of if I have a dash light or not. I had not noticed the front end being locked because I have manual hubs.

Besides having a possible bad t-case motor, there are 2 other possibilities I am wondering about:

1. Is a '92 t-case and actuator motor compatible with a '94? (the 2 actuator motors looks a little different from each other).

2. Do I possibly have a bad switch/button? How would one test that?

( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
shaggymane
topeka, kansas
91 navajo

Vehicle Specs

read this thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=202166
shaggymane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
motopsycho650
Denver, CO
1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for that link. I'm going to go test the 4x4 module tomorrow. I bet I'll need to replace t-case motors...

Old 12-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
shaggymane
topeka, kansas
91 navajo

Vehicle Specs

you'll see in that thread the most common problem and an easy fix is replacing the broken/vanished *stop* with a piece of fuel line.
No need to rush out and blow money unless your buying drinks
shaggymane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
arco777
Elite Explorer

2x 1994 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggymane View Post
you'll see in that thread the most common problem and an easy fix is replacing the broken/vanished *stop* with a piece of fuel line.
No need to rush out and blow money unless your buying drinks
Second that, I have fixed one before with a chunk of fuel tube and it worked great. The motor assembly is easy to remove and rebuild.
arco777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page