Help Which Wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Which Wheels

Alright I am having trouble picking what wheels I want to get for my 2004 XLT. They have to atleast stick out even with the fender or slightly futher (1/2inch or so). These are my four choices as of right now......

1. 16x8 Xtreme Alloys Series 8069, 4"BS, -11mm offset
or
17x9 Xtreme Alloys Series 8069, 4.75"BS, -6mm Offset

2. XD Hoss 18x9, 5.71BS, 18mm offset
or
XD Hoss 17x9, 5.71BS, 18mm offset

I am not a wheel man so your help is much appeciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright I am having trouble picking what wheels I want to get for my 2004 XLT. They have to atleast stick out even with the fender or slightly futher (1/2inch or so). ...

Check out MillerTimeX17's 2004 Explorer. This is what a 0mm Offset would look like:

PA130015.jpg

By comparion, this is what a 20mm offset looks like on my 07:

33558210033_large.jpg

So the smaller the offset the more the wheel/tire will stick out, so does backspacing also play a part into how far the wheel/tires stick out?

So the smaller the offset the more the wheel/tire will stick out, so does backspacing also play a part into how far the wheel/tires stick out?

Correct. The higher the offset, the more it sticks in; the smaller the offset (which includes negative values), the more it will stick out.

The offset and the backspacing are mathematically linked, with the rim's width providing the 3rd value in the "formula". There is a fudge factor in there, due to material thickness and other mechanical restriction.

Let's say you have a 44mm offset on your current wheel, and you want a setup that "moves" them out about 1.5in. Since 1.5in = 38mm, you'd want an offset of 44-38, so about 6mm, IF you keep the same rim width. If you were going from a 7in to a 9in rim width at the same time, then your new rims would stick out an additional 1in (1/2 of the width increase), for a total of 2.5in...

If my Excel spreadsheet does not betray me, this is what you would get for your choice of wheels, assuming you currently have the same 17x7.5 wheels with a 44mm offset that I had on my '07:
1. 16x8 Xtreme Alloys Series 8069, 4"BS, -11mm offset - Out by 2.42"
2. 17x9 Xtreme Alloys Series 8069, 4.75"BS, -6mm Offset - Out by 2.72"
3. XD Hoss 18x9, 5.71BS, 18mm offset - Out by 1.77"
4. XD Hoss 17x9, 5.71BS, 18mm offset - Out by 1.77"

BTW, I don't think you can get the XD Hoss with the right lug pattern for the Explorer (5x4.5" or 5x114.3mm)...

Divemaster191307 your the man thanks a lot for all that great information!!

Much appreciated,
Rich

You bet! Just trying to give back whatever I can, this forum has been a great source of help for me.

BTW, check this guy out when you're ready to buy: MrWheelDeal.com. If he has the brand you want, prices and service are top notch.

Will do I am also looking at Mickey Thompson Classic II's!

Anyone have Mickey Thompson Classic 2's, Pro Comps or anything similar to this on there 3rd Gen X?

Made up my mind Cragar Soft 8's

Well I have changed my mind I think I am going Cragar Soft 8's now....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3998812/

Anyone know how far these would stick out? I went silver because my X is silver/black two tone and I think black would be too much. Also does anyone else out there have these on a 3rd Gen?

If that is what they would look like then thats perfect, thanks again Divemaster191307!!

I looked and he has 16x8's but I don't think there will be much of a difference from 16x8 to 17x8, or atleast I hope not??

As long as the offset is the same, that's what they should look like. And his Ex looks pretty darn good!

Yes, it's a pretty sharp ride!!:thumbsup:

I have been continueing my searching for wheels and came across these Eagle Alloy 137 series wheels. There very sharp looking, ecspecially the 1372 polished ones with the black lip. What do you all think. Now my list has changed once again!

1. These 17" Eagle Alloy 1372 or 1378
http://www.aewheel.com/eagle_alloy_wheels.cfm?id=263
2. 17" Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy 8069 or 1069
http://www.tirepackage.com/Wheels/X...s=210&t_pt=100073&t_pl=5451&t_pn=PXA8069-7965
http://www.tirepackage.com/Wheels/X...s=210&t_pt=100073&t_pl=3626&t_pn=PXA1069-7965
4. Cragar Soft 8 (There out due to weight)

I might even drop to a 16" wheel to keep the wheels and tires as light as I can? Will see?

So how far out would a wheel with 0mm offset and 4.50" Backspacing sit from stock? Basically how far out from stock does buckflash's wheels sit, this seems to be the most popular way to go with these kind of wheels?

So how far out would a wheel with 0mm offset and 4.50" Backspacing sit from stock? Basically how far out from stock does buckflash's wheels sit, this seems to be the most popular way to go with these kind of wheels?

If my calculations are correct, they should stick about 1.98" further out than stock. Since you mention a 4.50" Backspace, I'm assuming an 8" wide wheel. And the increase/difference is based on a stock 44mm Offset on a 17"x7.5" rim. Another thing to keep in mind is that we are taking strictly about the rim. If you're going with wider tires, in addition to smaller offset, then it will stick out even more...

I don't know what your '99 has, all I know about stock is what my '07 had. If you're not sure about your current offset, the only way I know to find out is to take 1 wheel off: the offset is stamped on the inside somewhere.

Divemaster191307 thanks for the information it is helping me a ton, I currently have a 2004 and I think those wheel dimensions are the same as what I have right now. I finally made up my mind though after tortureing myself for a few weeks. I am going 16x8 Mickey Thompson Classic II 4.43BS, 0mm Offset and possibly getting them powder coated black. Now I have to make up my mind if I want to do an RB lift or an RB lift and body lift....oh the choices!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I finally made up my mind though after tortureing myself for a few weeks...

Only a few weeks? It took me probably over 3 months to take the plunge... :) But then again, I'm pretty **** about these things; I've been working on an HID Projector upgrade for about 6 months, and it's still not quite what I want...

Back