Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer Audio & Navigation

Notices

Explorer Audio & Navigation Audio and navigation systems. CD, DVD, MP3, GPS, Video, Mobile Computer, Speakers, Amplifiers.

98' xlt car stereo wire harness

Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
tgreene92
south jersey
'98 XLT x2

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
98' xlt car stereo wire harness

i just got a new pioneer head unit for christmas and also got a dynex car stereo wire harness that should clip onto the factory plug that goes into the back of the head unit. it says it is made for 1998 and up ford vehicles but it there is 2 clips into the back of the factory head unit and the dynex clip doesnt even fit onto the one that it looks like it should. i really dont feel like hasseling to hook it up without it so im wondering if anyone can help. i saw another harness online that consists of the 2 clips and look like it fits. i really need some help because i dont have the money to pay someone to do it nor do i have the time to find all the needed wires and somehow make them work.

98 XLT, 4.0 being parted out, pm me for parts>>>. My ex-build thread-http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=311851
tgreene92 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
scucci
98 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You should have the T-100 plugs on the stock radio. If you do not have a cd changer or sub-woofer you only need to hook up the 16 pin connector. The 20 pin only has a gray/blk wire which is vehicle speed signal and would not be used by an aftermarket head unit. The 20 pin is used for rear integrated controls, cd dj and steering wheel controls also. The 8 pin is for the factory sub-woofer.
The correct adapter is:
Metra 70-5700 into harness T-100 plug 16 pin

Function Color code-Solid/Stripe
12 Volt Ignition/Acc Red
12 Volt Battery/Memory Yellow
Ground Black
Power Antenna Blue
Amp turn on Blue/White
Amp ground Black/White
Illumination Orange
Dimmer Orange/White
Phone Mute Brown
Right Front + Gray
Right Front - Gray/Black
Left Front + White
Left Front - White/Black
Right Rear + Violet
Right Rear - Violet/Black
Left Rear + Green
Left Rear - Green/Black
scucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
617ricky
Boston
97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
During that time-frame, Explorers had 2 different types of harnesses for different stereos.. You have the wrong 1 unfortunately.. If you don't mind snipping and splicing some wires, then it should be pretty easy to match the colors up.. But if you decide to swap the stock in, in the future, then you got another project on your hands..
617ricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page