Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Modified 1995-2001 Explorers

Notices

Modified 1995-2001 Explorers Questions related to modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and 2002+ Sports (2dr). Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, torsion twist, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Prepping for Kenne Bell install....

Old 01-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Justawajz
Annapolis, Md
02 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Prepping for Kenne Bell install....

OK, so I picked up a Kenne Bell blower for a 5.0 Mustang and plan to put it on my Mountaineer. I'm trying to get everything together before I start fabbing everything to get it to fit up right. So far I have 42lb injectors, 255 walbro fuel pump, 90mm maf, and a 93 Mustang p/s and a/c accessorie bracket(for the snout support. Now I plan on getting it tuned, and I figured with the pump and injectors I shouldn't need a FMU. One thing I was wondering though, I see alot of the KB blowers use a bypass valve. My KB dosn't have one.. Would it be smart to use one? I don't know how much parasitic loss I would have without one. Also how does one calculate the new belt length with the blower mounted. And lastley do you use any sealant/gasket on the connections to the plenum and the blower. Sorry these are prob stupid questions for somone thats putting this on to ask.. But I've never delt with one of these before. Any help would be amazing. Thanks guys.

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Spdrcer34
Speed
Bremerton, WA

1992 Explorer XL

Vehicle Specs

What ECU are you going to use? You can't run the Mountaineers ECU if you are running Mustang Accessories. You will have to take a HUGE step backwards, and run a OBD-I ECU, and a Distributor...

..at which point many things on your Mountaineer won't work right. Like your gauges.

Ryan

Old 01-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
volver
Milan, IL Quad City area
1998 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

How do you plan on making an adapter?
Yes, you do need the bypass or you fuel economy is going to be 1 MPG.
I dont know if the belt will line up if you use the Mustange brakets.
Do the belt last after the SC is on.

How much was the KB and what size is it? Does it come with a lower manifold?

4x120 watt head lights + 2x100 watt head lights + 2x30 watt fog lights, thats 740 watts, one horse power=746 watts. "I am afraid of the dark"
volver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Justawajz
Annapolis, Md
02 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdrcer34 View Post
What ECU are you going to use? You can't run the Mountaineers ECU if you are running Mustang Accessories. You will have to take a HUGE step backwards, and run a OBD-I ECU, and a Distributor...

..at which point many things on your Mountaineer won't work right. Like your gauges.

Ryan
I'm not using the actual Mustang accessories just the bracket so I can bolt up the support bracket for the snout. I will continue to use the Mountianeer power steering pump and a/c compressor. Just gonna have to fab a plate with spacers to fit them to the Mustang bracket. There was a guy on a Ranger fourm that put a 5.0 Ex motor in a Ranger and did the same thing just with a smaller blower.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
Justawajz
Annapolis, Md
02 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volver View Post
How do you plan on making an adapter?
Yes, you do need the bypass or you fuel economy is going to be 1 MPG.
I dont know if the belt will line up if you use the Mustange brakets.
Do the belt last after the SC is on.

How much was the KB and what size is it? Does it come with a lower manifold?
The Kenne Bell "should" bolt right up. The only thing that sux is that I'll need a standard Mustang lower intake manifold(or a nicer aftermarket one if it will fit). It's not gonna match up with my GT40 lower at all. Also the snout will come out a little bit farther than it needs to be so I'll have to get it machined down to the proper lengh to align with the belt. Anyway, I got the kit for $1,000 and it's in pretty good shape overall. Thats pretty much what I was thinking with the bypass valve but it dosnt have a place to put one on unless I cut a hole to mount one. All the lower manifold has is a few holes for vaccum lines.

Last edited by Justawajz; 01-09-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Justawajz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page