Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

A4LD servos, levers and springs

Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Hessu

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
A4LD servos, levers and springs

Hi,

I'm currently rebuilding an A4LD and I have parts available from three different transmissions. The intermediate and overdrive servo diameters were the same in all (AB and BB) and the bands were single wrap, so no choice there. Anyhow, there were 3 kinds of servo apply levers: G,E,A (applying force ascending). Two of the boxes had A in the OD and E in the intermediate but one had G in both. Which to use, is bigger always better? The car is a small rwd two seater that weighs 2500 lbs with the driver so the transmission should have a relatively easy life.

Also, there is something in the shift kit leaflets to the effect that softening the servo return spring gives harder shifts? My reasoning tells me that it must be marginal, but is it? I was under the impression that a larger diameter servo requires a stiffer spring to help it retract as fast but the spring does very little in the apply stage.
Hessu is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Check the ATSG manual links in # 69 in my list of useful threads.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Let's start with where FORD chose to put these.

The E in the intermediate was used behind a 2.3L reg & Turbo and 2.9 in 88, 89 and 90. By 91 they had switched to a D. The G was used there onl;y behind the 2.3 in the late 80's and once behind a weak 2.8L.

In OD, well, let's just say GO A!

Consider upping the servo sizes as well. You minorly up the chance of band failure but increase insurance against slipppage if you have a heavy foot.
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Hessu

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
OK, so I' m most likely going A and E. These transmissions came from Ford Scorpio 2.9 '87, 2.0 '91 and 2.9 '92. The 2.0 had this "G and G" setup and one less plate in the intermediate and reverse clutch (it also had a 1 solenoid VB despite being '91).
Anybody have information on the servo springs? The ATSG manual didn't discuss this subject any more than it does about other performance improvements
Old 01-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Check this link: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...4LD_manual.pdf
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #6
Hessu

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hessu View Post
the atsg manual didn't discuss this subject
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBay View Post
No info there even after looking twice.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For the A lever in the OD position I'd use the green one (83DT-AA) and using the E lever in the intermediate, I'd use the Orange one if your displacement is under 2.9 (Ford 74DT-7D028 AB) or if it is under that you might also use the same green one as the OD above.
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page