Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Blower resistor on '99 Mountaineer

Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
camerafool
MN
'99 Mountaineer 4.0 4wd

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Blower resistor on '99 Mountaineer

Only the highest speed works on my air/heat and everywhere I look, it seems the blower resistor is my problem. Where is it located on a '99 Mountaineer? Also, I went to a parts shop and there are two resistors they offer...one is a $15 resistor and the other is $100 resistor module. It's a '99 mountaineer with 4 wheel drive and has automatic temp control. Do I need the $100 module or just the $15 resistor? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
camerafool is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
my pos mounty
Land of Corruption
06 F-350

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Last edited by my pos mounty; 01-29-2010 at 01:44 PM.
my pos mounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
96eb96
Albany, NY
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerafool View Post
Only the highest speed works on my air/heat and everywhere I look, it seems the blower resistor is my problem. Where is it located on a '99 Mountaineer? Also, I went to a parts shop and there are two resistors they offer...one is a $15 resistor and the other is $100 resistor module. It's a '99 mountaineer with 4 wheel drive and has automatic temp control. Do I need the $100 module or just the $15 resistor? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Automatic temp control is going to make your wallet $100 lighter. The other thing you can try is this (wish I did it before I bought mine). Take out the failed unit and clean it with parts cleaner. You may have a loose solder connection. You can also bring it to a TV repair shop, they may replace the power transistor for $20-30 dollars. Its not a complicated circuit. Just a thought!
96eb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
camerafool
MN
'99 Mountaineer 4.0 4wd

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
please forgive the silly question...I'm new to auto repair. Is the firewall that shiny aluminum-foil-looking thing? If so, what's the best way to get around it and access the resistor?

Also still curious on the question of which resistor part I need. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
camerafool
MN
'99 Mountaineer 4.0 4wd

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
that's great advice 96eb96. Now I just have to get to the resistor! haha. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
my pos mounty
Land of Corruption
06 F-350

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96eb96 View Post
Automatic temp control is going to make your wallet $100 lighter. The other thing you can try is this (wish I did it before I bought mine). Take out the failed unit and clean it with parts cleaner. You may have a loose solder connection. You can also bring it to a TV repair shop, they may replace the power transistor for $20-30 dollars. Its not a complicated circuit. Just a thought!
Yep, misrerad my manual. EATC does not have a blower motor resistor for the front motor, only the rear.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
96eb96
Albany, NY
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
that's great advice 96eb96. Now I just have to get to the resistor! haha. Thanks!
Well look for the fan on the passenger side, it is buried toward the bottom. It is a bit tricky to get out as I recall, you may have to take off the harness first.

Also, what happens when you turn the control wheel? Does it only run at the max setting or is it always running on high???
Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
camerafool
MN
'99 Mountaineer 4.0 4wd

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
on both the control wheel and the controls on my steering wheel, only the highest fan speed works. If i turn it down one speed, the fan stops all-together.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
96eb96
Albany, NY
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
on both the control wheel and the controls on my steering wheel, only the highest fan speed works. If i turn it down one speed, the fan stops all-together.
Hmm..I'm not ready to implicate the fan controller yet. That device receives a low power signal from the head in the car and "amplifies" it using a power transistor to run the fan. The head may only be putting out a full power signal.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
96eb96
Albany, NY
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Well here is the test to determine what is bad:

Adjust the blower motor speed to LO (1 bar).

Measure the voltage between the EATC module C298 pin 23, circuit 181 (BN/OG) and ground by back-probing the EATC module C298.

Is the voltage greater than 1 volt?
Yes
INSTALL a new blower motor speed control. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
INSTALL a new EATC module. TEST the system for normal operation.

I would take the fan controller out as well to see if its burnt or damaged, probably likely that is the issue.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
camerafool
MN
'99 Mountaineer 4.0 4wd

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I'm really confused. Everything I've read about the problem I have says that it's most likely the blower resistor. What changed your mind on that?
Old 01-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
96eb96
Albany, NY
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
I'm really confused. Everything I've read about the problem I have says that it's most likely the blower resistor. What changed your mind on that?
MOST LIKELY it is. But there is a chance that the EATC is only commanding a signal for a high blower output only.

99% of the time that blower controller does fail though, but be aware of the test I posted in the above post. The test will verify a low power signal for a low setting.

Usually the blower controller will show a visible sign of damage.

Just want you to understand before you just replace parts!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
The problem is that if you have the electronic automatic temperature control, you don't have a blower motor resistor. You have a blower motor speed controller (a little black-box that electronically controls the fan speed) in place of the resistor pack. That's the difference between a $15 resistor pack and a $100 module. I'm assuming that since you have the controls on the steering wheel, you have the EATC.

The odd thing is that usually when the blower motor speed controller dies, you lose ALL fan speeds. I've not seen one fail, yet still allow it to work on high... that's kind of odd... I'd start with 96eb96's diagnostics and go from there. I'm personally leaning towards it being a EATC module issue, not a speed controller issu, but I honestly don't know which it would be.

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Alan3119
Charlotte, NC
'99 EB

Vehicle Specs

Same fan problem: only works on high

I have the EXACT same problem with my 99 EB Explorer with EATC. I keep hearing all the same things and am torn between looking for a resistor pack, (which I'm leaning towards the advice above that it doesn't exist on my model) or the Blower Speed Control Module. I live near a Pull-A-Part and there's quite a few Explorers so I don't mind scavaging several $5 used parts and start swapping just to learn and hope for luck...Camerafool, if you find the answer and get yours working, please post how. Thanks
Alan3119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #15
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Again, if you have the EATC, you do not have a resistor pack, you have a blower motor fan speed controller. Why is everyone making this so complicated? You have either EATC with a fancy electronic control unit and BMFSC, or you have three knobs and a resistor pack. The two systems do not mix.

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
LuMax
Colorado
99 "Eddie B" V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Where exactly is the EATC blower motor fan speed controller located?
LuMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
bobflood
Elite Explorer
Powder Springs, GA
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMax View Post
Where exactly is the EATC blower motor fan speed controller located?
Check out this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...wer+controller

Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
LuMax
Colorado
99 "Eddie B" V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Well that was pretty easy.
I ordered the Rock Auto RU539 blower part, it arrived yesterday and probably took me <20 minutes to install it. Blower runs perfectly now and my "Check Engine" light which had come on three days ago went out as well.

The easiest way to install it was to:
-remove the air cleaner and the lower air cleaner box
-remove the cruise control servo
-remove 4 bolts holding windshield washer/coolant container and slide it forward about 6"
-remove and replace 2 bolts holding the blower module assembly
-reassemble

What is strange is that the EATC test procedure (press OFF and FLOOR simultaneously, then press AUTOMATIC within 2 seconds) never revealed any fault codes when the blower module was having issues or even after the Check Engine light came on. (?)

Oh well, everything is working fine now.
Thanks for the help as always.
Tim
LuMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
koda2000
Elite Explorer
Georgia

2001 Explorer EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
what i've learned...

blower motors don't have any way of varying fan speed. since the 50's, vehicles have used something called a blower motor resistor to vary the voltage going to the blower motor. this in turn allows the blower motor to run at different speeds (usually 3 low/med and high). by their nature resistors get hot. the blower resistor gets very hot. to protect your vehicle from catching fire, the resistor lives inside the heater plemnum. this way it can't come in contact with any other parts and is cooled by the movement of air created by the blower fan.
koda2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #20
bobflood
Elite Explorer
Powder Springs, GA
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda2000 View Post
what i've learned...

blower motors don't have any way of varying fan speed. since the 50's, vehicles have used something called a blower motor resistor to vary the voltage going to the blower motor. this in turn allows the blower motor to run at different speeds (usually 3 low/med and high). by their nature resistors get hot. the blower resistor gets very hot. to protect your vehicle from catching fire, the resistor lives inside the heater plemnum. this way it can't come in contact with any other parts and is cooled by the movement of air created by the blower fan.
A blower resistor is used for the MANUAL controls. The ELECTRONIC controls use a blower motor speed controller, which works differently but accomplishes the same function.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
blower, blower motor, blower resistor, mountaineer

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page