Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2006 - 2010 Explorer Mountaineer 4th Generation > Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers Stock 2006 -2010 Ford Explorer Forum. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

3rd row electric seat back won't elevate.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Ginz73
Manchester, NH
2006 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Dk Exp 3rd row electric seat back won't elevate.

2006 Explorer, Eddie Bauer. 3rd row left electric seat back won't elevate when up switch is pressed. Motor chatters but no movement. Right seatback is fine. Any DIY suggestions. Thanks.
Ginz73 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
welcome ginz

Old 01-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2006-2010 section. It sounds like the gears might be stripped.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
2006_MM_FYRE41
South Elgin, Illinois
2006 Mountaineer Premier

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
US

This appears to be a common problem with the left side seat. I just spoke to my L/M dealer and they quoted me $250 for the replacement part. I have not seen anyone complain about the right side 3rd row seat motor breaking.
2006_MM_FYRE41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
bm4183
Allen, TX
2006 Limited V6 4.0

Vehicle Specs

Has anyone replaced it before? Do you have any tips?
bm4183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
GVSS
Gainesville. FL
2007 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

I had the same problem

I had the same problem, luckily my Mountaineer was still under warranty.

The dealership said that the gear was stripped and had to replace the whole motor/gear assembly.

Probably not good new for you since the part is probably expensive.

You might try eBay or a junkyard.

Good Luck!
GVSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
mountaineer06

Vehicle Specs

Sounds like I had the same problem in my 2006 Mountaineer. The motor was working fine but the 3rd row seat wouldn't elevate. I didn't want to have to replace the the motor since it was fine. However, when I went to the dealership they said if the gears are stripped, you have to buy the whole latch assembly which includes the bracket that the motor and gears sit in, the motor, and the gears. This runs about $220. He also said this happens a lot. I was pretty disappointed they make you buy a new motor and the rest of the assembly because of cheap gears. We've had other more major problems with this relatively new vehicle too...probably my last Mercury purchase.
mountaineer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
RB1953
west georgia
'96XLT, '04XLT, '09XLT

Vehicle Specs

i have the same problem. Can the seat be raised and lowered manually? If so, how?
RB1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
F150SVT
2007 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

I have a similar prob with my '07 Mercury Mountaineer Premier. Last November, the left powered 3rd row seat back wouldn't fold down. Dealer said it needed a new motor, so he ordered one. The warranty covered the cost, plus a loaner car. A hassle, but I assumed that would be the end of it. Little did I know ......

Fast forward to last week. Same problem with the right side seat. Seat back locked in the up position. The motor will wiggle the seat back and forth, but it will only move a couple of inches before it stops. Seems to me like the motor is okay but the mechanical mechanism (maybe gears?) of the seat is locked in position. I can push on the seat back and move it a little, but am reluctant to try too hard for fear something important will break and it would then be my fault.

Original warranty is now expired, of course, but at least we have the ESP Premium FoMoCo extended warranty so, if needed, that will pay for the repair less a $100 deductible.

Regardless, it's disappointing that we have have had two problems with these power folding seats. Although the truck is over three years old, we probably have not used the 3rd row seats more than half-a-dozen times since we bought the truck, so the vast majority of the time they have stayed in the folded-down position. Any way you look at it, that's terrible reliability.

Must say, however, that other than this problem, this SUV has served us extremely well. It's my wife's car and she absolutely loves it. I like it too, but I'd like it a lot more if this recurring seat problem could be solved for good.
F150SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
Jezecat
Jackson, Mississippi
'06

Vehicle Specs

me too!

My wifes "new" to us 2006 Explorer has the same problem. The left third row power seat is down and it won't raise.

The PO said it just happened, you can hear the motor running and gears clicking.
He said the dealer wanted $230 for the replacement part.

Is there a way to use this seat without the motor, I mean raise it manually? I can't get it to move.

Also, I'm not mechanically inclined, does anyone know about what the repair would cost?

Thanks!

Richard
Florence, MS
Jezecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
drboompa
Missouri
'06 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Have had to repair both of mine in the past year. Same thing. Stripped gears. bummer! Had aftermarket warranty with $100.00 deduct, (twice)
wonder if luggage or 'stuff" gets pushed up against the control buttons and attempts to activate the seats when the back end is loaded? This would strip the gears.
drboompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
thebrakeman
Canton, Michigan
2006 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I wonder what it would take to convert these to manual-fold? Remove the motor/gear assembly, and install something to lock it into the upright position when it use. This could be the stock components (probably expensive) or something else???

Cashmere/Camel Interior, navigation, power 3rd row
2004 Surveyor 261T Hybrid Travel Trailer (27 ft)
Equal-i-zer 10,000 lb 4-pt Sway Control WDH
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
F150SVT
2007 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Yesterday I finally took my wife's '07 Mountaineer (see my earlier post) into the local Ford dealer to get the seat fixed. They did it quick this time. Guess it's happening so often that they actually have the parts in stock now. Cost me "just" $100, due to the extended warranty. I'm hopping that the new motor/gear assembly (and also the one I replaced two years ago in the other seat) is "new and improved" and will last forever, but that's probably like believing in the Easter Bunny.

Like others, I've also thought about replacing the automated mechanism with a manuel version. If I run across one in a junk yard, I might pick it up "just in case."
F150SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
TowingExplorer
Central MA
2006 Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboompa View Post
wonder if luggage or 'stuff" gets pushed up against the control buttons and attempts to activate the seats when the back end is loaded? This would strip the gears.
That's an excellent suggestion. Loading habits could explain why some people have this happen more than once while others have never had it happen. This would also explain why they always fail in the down position and not while going up, up, or going down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
I wonder what it would take to convert these to manual-fold? Remove the motor/gear assembly, and install something to lock it into the upright position when it use. This could be the stock components (probably expensive) or something else???
I don't know how the factory setup locks the seat in the UP position, but I would be concerned with a manual DIY setup being a little unsafe.
TowingExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
Jezecat
Jackson, Mississippi
'06

Vehicle Specs

2006 Explorer

What can I expect to pay the dealer to repair one of the third row electric seats? Mine is still stuck in down, probably the striped gear thing.

Thanks

Richard
Old 10-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #16
drboompa
Missouri
'06 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

About 200-300 dollars. (per seat)
drboompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #17
Jezecat
Jackson, Mississippi
'06

Vehicle Specs

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
really_really
'06 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Converted to Manual

Hello all,

I just tackled the third row power seat issue this weekend. I was having the same issue most have posted. I can press the button to Raise/Lower my driver side third row seat, and the motor runs but the seat doesn't budge.

The part required to fix this problem is 6L2Z-7861383-AA which is the Latch assembly for the rear seat and it is around $245 plus tax. I was told it was this high because the part includes a new motor. You might verify with your local dealership for your specific year/model, but I think most will be the same part.

Because of the cost of the part, I haven't yet replaced the latch assembly, but instead I just cut the spiral rod that drives the seat forwards and back so that I can Raise and Lower the seat manually.

To replace the part you have to disassemble and remove the entire third row. It sounds like a lot, but it wasn't very hard. You'll need some deep sockets, with an extender for a few bolts between the two seats, and I recommend a ratcheting wrench for the one bolt up inside the seat back.

I'm going to check the salvage yard to see if I can get the part for less, so if I get one and install the part, I'll make sure I take some pictures and detail the process a little more.
really_really is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
bm4183
Allen, TX
2006 Limited V6 4.0

Vehicle Specs

So you say you can raise and lower it manually, but can you lock it in the upright position?
bm4183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
really_really
'06 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

No, It doesn't lock in the upright position if you cut the spiral pin. The latch assembly still restricts how far the seatback can go back, just as if it were fully raised. I haven't driven with the seat raised yet, but I will check it out and see if a quick stop on the brakes is able to close the seat when in the upright position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm4183 View Post
So you say you can raise and lower it manually, but can you lock it in the upright position?
really_really is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page