• Register Today It's free!

Radio Bezel Removal

Scott Brian

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport Trac 4X2
I am in the process of cleaning up the interior of my 2001 Sport Trac.

Project 1 complete - Recovered console lid and that looks great.

Now painting several parts due to chipping paint and wear. Know how to remove the center console with the cup holders.

I am removing the radio bezel. Know how to do this but you have to remove the radio, cigarette lighter and a few other electronic controls.

Can someone give me some pointers for removal of the various components?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you were looking for instruction on radio bezel removal
radio removal tools for the radio
then 2 screws in the lower part of the trim (screwed in upwards), you probably know that.
then it pulls off (some spring clips)

look for the thread on changing the instrument cluster lights (backlighting), very detailed.

Thanks for the thoughts but I am a novice so need help with basics. I can remove the bezel with the two screws but it has all of the components attached. I am trying to get to just the bezel so I can paint it.

How do you remove the cigarette lighter? Radio? And, rear window control?

Thanks for helping me through this learning curve. (Good news even my wife liked the console repair I did so she now has high expectations)

well if you got the bezel off with all the components still in there..

1. remove the electrical connectors from the switches, usually need to push a tab in the connector and pull it off, on some you pry the tab up and pull the connector off

2. pull out further and disconnect radio connector on the back, now you should have the bezel in hand away from the dash?????

3. the radio has black spring tabs on the sides, you need to push them in, and push the radio out of the bezel(or just buy some radio removal tools)
this thread shows the removal tools http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240166&highlight=instrument+cluster

hopefully that helps a bit

Thanks for the help and direction. I will work on it further this weekend if we don't float away in California.

Any thing special about removing the cigarette lighter? It looks like the connection is soldered. Does it just have to be twisted to remove it from the bezel?

Back