Checking the Electronic Shift Control Module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Checking the Electronic Shift Control Module

KarmicFlea

Reaction score
City, State
New Baltimore, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Hello Enthusiasts!

I've been having trouble with the 4x4 in my 93 Explorer. So I took it to my cousins shop here in the northeast and he did some testing and apparently there is no signal getting past the ESCM. So of course I pulled it and have one coming from a salvage place close to me. BTW the dealer wanted a whopping $805.00 for the damn thing. I'm getting it from salvage for $45.00.

I was wondering though, now that I have it out is there any way to test the darn thing? There is a red LED light on it and some sort of, what looks like, a reset button. Yes I tried the switch and nothing seemed to happen other than the light lit up and then went out. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unplug the two connectors from it, turn the key to the on position and hit the reset button. If it blinks four or five times, it "thinks" it's ok.

Thanks for the info maroon93limited. I will try that on my next day off. I just got a gig at a national parts store chain and they have been working me frantically. I'll post back the results after I can perform the test.

Yes I am aware of the motor and it's teardown procedures, and if it still doesn't workafter I replace the module, I'll pull the motor and do the the teardown then. But since there isn't any power passing through the electronic shift control module I'm going to start by replacing it. Unfortunately I won't be able to pick up the salvage part I'm getting until Monday. I'll post how it goes here. Thanks for participating.

KF

I'm also having problems with this. I haven't used the 4wheel in awhile--broken--and just installed manual hubs. Now the module is out. No lights with the test, has good ground but, I'm not sure how to find the power to it. Could it be a fuse as well? And if so what one would it be? I haven't found any fuse labeled "shift module" or any sort of "4X4" anywhere.

Manual Hubs

Hey there Anmag. Question for you. I don't see much reason to be using the Electronic Shift Control Module if you installed manual locking hubs. Manual as in you have to get out of the vehicle and turn the "dial" on the hub to engage the 4wheel drive. I'm no expert but it just seems to me that trying to use an automatic system with a manual system is just defeating the purpose. Does anyone know if you still need the module with a manual hub system?

Back to my issue. I got the replacement module last night and just installed it after the brief snowstorm we had here in CT. I am now looking for where the problem could be because after connecting it and attempting to "pop" into 4 wheel high I got no response from my shift motor. I guess I need to take a look at my shift motor now. Looks like that teardown and rebuild process that Turdle posted the link to in this thread will come in handy after all. I really thought that this would fix it. Bummer. If anyone has any ideas please send them my way. Other than that just wish me luck. I'll let you all know how it goes.

- KF

Hey there Anmag. Question for you. I don't see much reason to be using the Electronic Shift Control Module if you installed manual locking hubs. Manual as in you have to get out of the vehicle and turn the "dial" on the hub to engage the 4wheel drive. I'm no expert but it just seems to me that trying to use an automatic system with a manual system is just defeating the purpose. Does anyone know if you still need the module with a manual hub system?

Different animals. The shift control module is for the transfer case. It controls power on/off to the front drive shaft (and gear ratio in the transfer case).

Having manaul hubs has some good advantages..
they are stronger than the automatic hubs
cheaper than the auto hubs (normally)
Allow you to run in 2wd low when you need more torque, but don't need the front wheels pulling.

I just lock my front hubs if there is a chance I might need 4x4. Then, when I need 4x4 I just press the button and I have it. I've forgotten to unlock my hubs for days before and other than slightly lower mpg, I noticed no difference, even at 70mph freeway speeds.

~Mark

YES, and YES. My 94 is A4LD, translate to automatic tranny with electronic transfer case and Manual Hubs. All the electronic t/c does is electronically shift instead of a manual shift. With manual hubs there is no worry about did it engage...

i put my 93 into 4 high manually after motor went bad now the transmission wont shift past second gear. any ideas would be helpfull

i put my 93 into 4 high manually after motor went bad now the transmission wont shift past second gear. any ideas would be helpfull

I would say they are most likely unrealted.

1-2-3 shifts on the tranamission are purely hydraulic on the a4ld. Only the shift from 3-4 and locking of the torque converter are controlled by the computer (the computer will inhibit the transmission from doing the shift).

Soo, if it won't shift into 3, its not an issue with the transfer case causing it.

~Mark

Crazy Transfer case

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for years. I have 2 explorers and they are for the most part great!...Craziest thing though. I contacted a guy on Sunday that had a nice bike he wanted to trade for a car or truck and I'm thinking , hey I got two. So I go clean out the 1992 XLT it a 5 speed I've driven it for 6 years with no big problems. So any way I hop in Starts right up and I put it in First, it's a five speed. And no go at all I'm just burning clutch, WTF. Never seen anything like it. At first I think the rear brakes have siezed but nope they let loos fine. Gotta be something in the transfer case or the shift lever or something, it's just locked solid, like theres a huge log in front of the front and back tires and they don't budge an inch....any Ideas?

Crazy Transfer case

Posted twice, wouldn't let me delete...

Back to my issue. I got the replacement module last night and just installed it after the brief snowstorm we had here in CT. I am now looking for where the problem could be because after connecting it and attempting to "pop" into 4 wheel high I got no response from my shift motor. I guess I need to take a look at my shift motor now. Looks like that teardown and rebuild process that Turdle posted the link to in this thread will come in handy after all. I really thought that this would fix it. Bummer. If anyone has any ideas please send them my way. Other than that just wish me luck. I'll let you all know how it goes.

- KF

The Electronic shift module rotates the Transfer Case shift motor to Lock in the transfer case.
The transfer case then turns the front Driveshaft.
The front Driveshaft rotates the Front axles which enganges the Auto Hubs.
With Manual Hubs, the shift motor still needs to engage the transfer case. the only thing that doesn't lock up and turn is the hubs.

Might be dumb question

But this is all new to me! By the way where is that reset/test button? I didn't see anything on the module that looked like a test button. Also how do you get the 4x4 switches out of the dash to check them? I have 4H but no 4L or light for that, and I did the rebuild job I saw on here to the step motor but still just have 4H, any ideas?
Thanks, Al

I also have 4hi but I dont have 4low and the 4low light will not come on. I saw several post but none have been of much help, are there any wiring diagrams that I can get so I can trace the problem?

Hi, All I ended up doing was to reset the module, found the white button on it at the bottom and now have 4L. Or you can just unhook the battery wait a little and hook it back up and that will reset it also.
Al

Back