• Register Today It's free!

96 Fog Light Mod

xxxplorer50

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited & '91 Sport
I have a 96 Limited, does anybody know where the fog light relay is, and how to "jump it" so the fog lights stay on when I switch to high beams? I appreciate any info. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im looking for the same info! Any news yet?

Texyank- Thanks for posting that link, very helpful and looks like an easy project.

Do you happen to know if the brown parking light wire that is referenced is in that junction box or is it the physical brown wire on the parking lamp in the headlight assembly?

Since the directions say to add about 12" of wire, I assume this means to wire it directly into the assembly?

Thanks.

Kevin

I haven't done the mod myself, but plan to. I stubbled across your post last night, then found the other several minutes later. Just thought I do you a favor and let you know about it.

To answer your question, I took it that the brown wire was in the junction box. I hope to do mine next week and will let you know what I discover.

Actually wasn't my original post, but I did post elsewhere.

I will be curious to see what your findings are as I am very interested in this Mod. My sister's 99 Eddie Bauer has it factory as did my former F-150, my 97 Mounty only works with the low beams. I just replaced my fog lights with some aftermarket ones that are much brighter than the factory ones and fit in the slots perfectly. The factory ones were leaking and blowing bulbs left and right and the lenses were pretty shot/pitted. I live in a coastal area with fog and snow and sometimes running the parking lamps and just the fogs aids a whole bunch with visibility.

Good luck with the project.

Mine are still looking good. The right one doesn't work even though I replaced the bulb, that's what started my search to begin with. I figured while I'm fixing that I might as well do the mod now that I know it can be done.

What aftermarket lights did you get?

I didn't pick up anything special, they were on the shelf at the local parts store and most closely matched the stock size and shape. I forget what brand they are, nothing like PIAA or anything like that. Not even sure they will last. The whole kit was $20 and I figured for $20 it was worth the gamble as the bulbs are $10 each and the stock lenses were toast. Time will tell. Tested them in the dark and they are significantly brighter than the factory ones. Wired them directly into the existing wiring so I can use the switch.

Back