It's HER truck
Reaction score
City, State
Arvoinia, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT, 4.6L
Callsign
KA3NXN
First of all, the specs. It's a 98 with a 4.0L with the "X" engine code. SOHV. It's a 2 wheel drive automatic with 135K miles on it. I had just gotten on the interstate and was accelerating up to highway speed when the engine just cut off. I had electrical power, so I tried to restart it but it would not fire. I ended up having to get it towed home. When I got it home I checked for both spark and fuel and I was getting neither. The tank was almost full so gas was not an issue. I disconnected the fuel line before the fuel filter and cranked it a few times to see if it was pumping fuel and it wasn't. I also checked for spark and had no spark either. Then I also tried connecting my code scanner to the truck to see if it had generated any codes and this is where it got interesting. The code scanner kept giving an error that "unable to communicate with computer" or something to that effect. I could not get the scanner to talk to the truck. Even after resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery cable. At one point I left the battery disconnected overnight, the scanner still won’t connect to the computer. Am I looking at a possible bad onboard computer? Any suggestions at all guys would be appreciated.

Thank you

Jaime
:exporange

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from the problem you are decribing you might be looking at a possible computer replacement.

thats what its looking like. they arent too cheap either. haha sorry dude

First, check all fuses.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180814&highlight=relay+locations

Also
there is another fuse box inside the truck, on the driver end of the dash. check fuse 13, and fuse 19

Fuse%20Box001.jpg

Fuse%20Box002.jpg

Does the "check engine" light illuminate when you switch the key on? Does it go out while you crank the starter?

Don't replace it yet

Before you replace your PCM without knowing it's bad I suggest that you perform my Engine No Start Procedure . It includes a PCM Power Procedure which I intend to enhance. If you determine that the PCM is not getting power try:

Disconnecting the battery and unplugging and replugging the PCM main electrical connector (cleans the contacts) and tighten the holding bolt firmly but not too tight

Clean the PCM to ground connection at the firewall next to the PCM connector and tighten.

The procedures are written for my 2000 Sport but the wiring on your 1998 is very similar if not the same for what's pertinent

most likely you blew a fuse (or relay)... as suggested do some checks before jumping on the "replace the PCM" bandwagon. The "simple check" for the "check engine" light sequence is the best place to start.... followed by some multimeter work IF you don't get the expected result.

Don't forget to check the PCM relay located in the power distribution box. THis could be your problem.

Back