Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

'97 Explorer "X" transfer case motor replacement...

Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
explorerkatz
PA
1997 Explorer XLT "X"

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
'97 Explorer "X" transfer case motor replacement...

I am getting ready to replace the transfer case motor on my Explorer. It has the flat 7 pin (if I recall correctly from when I looked at it a few o. ago.) connector.

In the same harness, it also has (2) small plastic sensors? about a dime size in dia. that fit into the rear of the transfer case on either side of the 4WD motor.

Anyone know what these things are? they have to come with the replacement motor, as it is all part of the same harness. Problem is, I cannot find a motor with these included...

Any ideas on this?

Thanks!
explorerkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Solid state rotational speed sensors - as in sensors to detect when an axle is slipping so 4wd can be engaged automatically.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You have to de-pin that connector to do the swap, or cut and splice (which I wouldn't recommend).

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
dogfriend
Human-Animal Hybrid
Carmichael, CA

'97 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoecam View Post
You have to de-pin that connector to do the swap, or cut and splice (which I wouldn't recommend).
Yes. To remove individual pins, you remove the red plastic retaining piece, then use a pick to release the pins from the connector shell.

P.S. Be gentle, after 13 years the connector shell is probably brittle as hell.
dogfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
explorerkatz
PA
1997 Explorer XLT "X"

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Yes. To remove individual pins, you remove the red plastic retaining piece, then use a pick to release the pins from the connector shell.

P.S. Be gentle, after 13 years the connector shell is probably brittle as hell.
Thanks guys - Yes, I'm sure after this long the plastic is very brittle - and combined w/ the below freezing temps we have had here in Southeast PA for over a month now.

I should probably go ahead & replace those rotational speed sensors as well at this time...
Old 02-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
explorerkatz
PA
1997 Explorer XLT "X"

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Hey guys - I came across this thread. I haven't checked mine out that closely yet, but it sure has the appearance of my diff.

In post #12, one of the pics (great pics in this thread!) shows the removal of the speed sensor. Does it normally just pop right out after removing that bolt? I couldn't get mine to come out that easily at all, so I gave up for the time being so I wouldn't snap something off.

I had attempted the removal a few weeks ago, still too cold to work on it, but the job should be done before we get hit with a major snowstorm.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
dogfriend
Human-Animal Hybrid
Carmichael, CA

'97 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerkatz View Post
Does it normally just pop right out after removing that bolt? I couldn't get mine to come out that easily at all, so I gave up for the time being so I wouldn't snap something off.
Yes, it should come right out. There is an o-ring seal between the sensor and the TC housing. It is a weird o-ring with a kinda square cross-section. I ended up replacing the speed sensor once because I could not find a replacement o-ring and it only is available with the sensor at the dealer.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
explorerkatz
PA
1997 Explorer XLT "X"

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Hi dogfriend,

Thanks for the info. Are both of those sensors the same that are on either side of the case? They appear to be the same, but I would guess each serves a different function.

I only have a Haynes manual to go on, it is not much help in this area. Are they both called the vehicle speed sensor? I looked on Rockauto.com & they have them listed for anywhere from $10-$20, although the pics don't look like mine.

Rockauto's pics show them as accepting a male plug in connector, & mine are hardwired into the motor harness...
Old 02-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
dogfriend
Human-Animal Hybrid
Carmichael, CA

'97 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is different. The VSS is what gives the speedometer and the PCM the speed signal for the truck. It is also mounted on the TC for a 97.

The two speed sensors that you see on the back of the case are the Driveshaft Speed Sensors. They read a toothed ring that is attached to the output of the front and rear driveshafts. The signal from the two sensors are sent to the GEM (computer) to determine when to engage the electromagnetic clutch.

I don't think that the Driveshaft Speed Sensor(s) actually wear out; they could stop working because of damage or because metal wear particles in the TC are stuck to the surface (they are magnetic). If you suspect that one or both aren't working (because of a flashing 4wd light on dash), I would remove them and clean any metal stuck to the surface. That might be all that is required.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
explorerkatz
PA
1997 Explorer XLT "X"

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
If you suspect that one or both aren't working (because of a flashing 4wd light on dash), I would remove them and clean any metal stuck to the surface. That might be all that is required.
Yeah, that is part of my prob., & when the lights are flashing the 4WD does not work. I will pull them & see if they need a cleaning or worse, damaged...
Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
chris223401
Grant Park Illinois
1998 xlt

Vehicle Specs

This may be a dumb question but what would happen if you would not hook up the speed sensors?
chris223401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page