• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential remove/replace

drakeguy22

Reaction score
City, State
Lyons Falls, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
ive been seaching around this site trying to find a decent write up on the removal and replacement of a rear differential on a 99 explorer and i cant find one... so anyone got any info on it???
I'm buying a 99 4x4 explorer with 100,000 miles this weekend and it needs a new rear diff. obviously im going to do it myself or i wouldnt have asked for info on it.
any info on this project would be awesome

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PM sent with questions before I continue writing this lengthy reply

Rear End Removal & Installation

Ok, I will give you the best off the top of my head write up I can for you....So here it goes:

Before swapping rear differential assemblies please ensure that the gear ratios are the same; otherwise speedometer and transmission shift points will be affected. Also ensure same brake package is on the "new" diff. If old diff has disc, and new has drums or vise versa you will experience brake difficulties due to different master cylinders installed on the different vehicles. If they are different you could always swap brake assemblies over to the opposite diff. If equipped with drums to begin with, you will need to pull the axle shafts to remove backing plates. If this is the case please reply and I will walk you through that also.

Now for the Good Stuff

Lift and support vehicle safely: Place jackstands on frame rails in front of the front leaf spring mount.

Remove Rear Tires

Disconnect Rear Sway Bar End Links

Remove Driveshaft

Remove Brake Flex Hose From Junction Block on rear diff.

Disconnect Rear Shock Absorber Lower Mounts

Disconnect ABS Magnetic Pulse Generator Connector from the top of the diff.

Remove Rear Diff Cover and Drain Fluid

Replace Cover (snug bolts up)

Position Floor Jack under center of rear diff.

Put SLIGHT Pressure on it

Remove U Bolt Nuts.
****I have always left one on each side slightly on for safety****

Remove Remaining Nuts and U Bolts

This is where the term "Rear End Wrastlin" Comes into play

You will need to slide the diff over to one side, force one axle tube below the leaf springs, then continue sliding in that direction; thus putting the diff below the leaf springs. Then Slowly Lower.

Re-Installation is the reverse of removal; However I suggest you replace axle seals, and pinion seals.

I think I covered it all for not even looking at one....if any questions arise please reply to this post. Good Luck

I think he means differential, not axle

Thanks for the info!

are you looking to replace the whole rear axle housing, or rebuild the differential (ie, carrier bearings, pinion bearings, etc)?

rebuilding the differential will require a lot of time and quite a few specialty tools. Although you may find a shop to do it, it can be fairly spendy.

Otherwise just swapping out the rear axle housing isn't terribly difficult, but that can also be a catch-22 if you end up with a dud replacement housing (shot R&P, bent tubes, twisted tubes, etc).

i planned on just replacing the differential....

well... that's only the carrier (holds the ring gear, transfers the output to the axle shafts).

So you will need an install kit (~$100 or so).
Tools required include pinion depth gauge, calipers for measuring shims, beam-style torque wrench (both foot pounds and inch pounds, bearing installer for carrier bearings, magnetic base dial indicator for measuring backlash.

and then of course a few assorted sockets and/or wrenches.

I've seen a thread in the Off-Road Drivelines subforum... I'll see if I can find it again.

edit: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144780

Ooops...

Sorry for assuming you were going for the whole housing.....but hey, atleast you know. Let us know if you need more info; I'm sure one of us can guide you through it!

Don't wanna say you can't search... but I just completed a re-gear on my truck and found all the info I needed (having never done it before) on this site and a few others. There is lots of info out there. It's not an easy job, requires a few precision tools, and a TON of patience. All I can say is READ READ READ.

It would be WAY easier to just find a good axle at a wrecker and swap the whole thing. USe MShuler009's method... just add removing the rear shackle bolts on the leaf springs... then you don't gotta wrestle... just pull straight back.

I did it without a pinion depth gauge but it would have made it a LOT easier and a lot less trial and error. but I got it set up. Anyone with some mechanical fortitude and the willingness to learn should be able to pull it off.

so i went to pick up the Explorer today and was told by the shop and the guy i was buying it from that the rear end chattered really bad.... i would assume that it would be the ring and pinion gears..... what do ya think????

so i went to pick up the Explorer today and was told by the shop and the guy i was buying it from that the rear end chattered really bad.... i would assume that it would be the ring and pinion gears..... what do ya think????

Do you have the limitedslip diff?
Axle code D4

not sure it was -5 when we were out looking at it and pondering.... quickly. it was FAREEZIN! where would i find that code?

not sure it was -5 when we were out looking at it and pondering.... quickly. it was FAREEZIN! where would i find that code?

Drivers door jamb.
If it chatters primarily when turning corners, it could be something as simple as the clutch packs. If its doing it all the time, you are most likely looking at rebuilding the diff or replacing the entire rear axle.
If your interested in what junkyards around you have and for how much you can try www.car-part.com it will show inventory, prices, miles away from where you are as well as condition of the axle and maybe even mileage on the donor vehicle.

my local junk yard is in Marcy NY.... Vince's U Pull It. only about 60 miles away haha. worth the drive tho. the guy i bought it from said it does it when it goes over 10mph... but he also told me it was FWD !!! HAHA

The full rear axle assembly varies a hell of alot in New York!! From $100 all the way up to $550 :eek: :crazy:
FWD explorer eh?? LOL

yeah i checked out that site... theres junk yards i never even knew about! some of the prices are crazy. i looked at him very funny when he told me it was FWD

yeah i checked out that site... theres junk yards i never even knew about! some of the prices are crazy. i looked at him very funny when he told me it was FWD

Not to many good junkyards here in upstate ny..and they know that and mark everything up like crazy. They don't bargain either and its like they are doing you a favor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to many good junkyards here in upstate ny..and they know that and mark everything up like crazy. They don't bargain either and its like they are doing you a favor.
your in the city compared to me man haha.yes i completly agree they do think there doing us a favor.... what a joke! but if you wanted to take the drive Vince's U Pull it in Marcy NY, right next to Utica, has killer prices. motors and tranny's for 99.99, and all fenders for 19.95! when i hear upstate new york thats where i am... right in the adirondack mountains..... the nearest fast food joint is 50 miles haha

Back