Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Strange Humming Noise From Rear....2002 Explorer

Old 02-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
gbranh

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Strange Humming Noise From Rear....2002 Explorer

My wife's 2002 Explorer XLT, 4.0L, 4x4 has developed a humming noise from the rear of the truck, concurrent with wheel speed. Putting the tranny in neutral at speed does not make it go away, nor does putting it in 4HI. The tires look fine, and a cursory visual inspection of all 4 rear CV boots suggests that they are in good shape, as well.

The truck has 110,000 on it, and the tranny has recently been given a clean bill of health by a local, trusted tranny shop. I don't believe it's brake-related, but I'll inspect this weekend.

I remember a similar noise on a Saturn VUE we had several years ago. That turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. I wonder if this is the same situation?

Is there a common failure on these trucks with respect to wheel bearings? I've never done anything with the rear IRS on these trucks, so I don't really know where to start looking.

Thanks for you help,

Greg
gbranh is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
Yamvip
Swanton, Ohio
2002 XLT 4x4 4.0L FFV

Vehicle Specs

It could be the bearing or the rearend????
Yamvip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
thepotroast
Asheville, NC
3rd Gen EB 4x4 V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
The rear diffs on the 3rd gen's are notoriously loud. There is a common occurrence of worn gears and a bad differential clutch pack in the 02-05's, so much so that Ford put out a TSB on it and replaced rear ends making the howling if the vehicle's were under warranty. They serviced and replaced my rear diff internals at 60k miles.

However, a constant humming regardless of acceleration or speed sounds more like a bad bearing, whether it be a diff bearing or a wheel bearing at the hub assembly. The differential whine associated with worn gears and differential clutch packs usually occurs at certain intervals in speed, and goes away when you let off the gas or coast in neutral.

I believe your issue is a bad bearing somewhere back there...whether it be in the differential itself, or at the wheel.

A quick way to check the wheel bearings, is to jack up each side, and try to shake the wheel up, down or back and forth. There should be no play.
thepotroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
gbranh

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks, guys. I think it's a bearing, as well. I'm going to get it on my lift this weekend, and swap the rear tires while I'm at it, just to make sure the sound doesn't follow the tire. It's definitely coming from the right rear.

I'll report back.

Greg
Old 02-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Fyrmn88
Ft Meade,Fl
'02 XLT 4.6L 4X4

Vehicle Specs

I think I may have the same problem, only thing is the noise goes away when I let off the accelerator. Sounds like I have a knobby tire on the rear with all the whinning. So can it be the tranny, bearing or diff? Any help would be greatly apprecciated
Fyrmn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
thepotroast
Asheville, NC
3rd Gen EB 4x4 V8

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrmn88 View Post
I think I may have the same problem, only thing is the noise goes away when I let off the accelerator. Sounds like I have a knobby tire on the rear with all the whinning. So can it be the tranny, bearing or diff? Any help would be greatly apprecciated
Differential. Read my post above and it explains the difference between the symptoms. The whine is very common across the board, Ford put out a TSB on the issue and replaced the ring, pinion and diff clutch packs on Explorer's still under warranty under the TSB for it.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
gbranh

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
***Update***

I put the truck up on my lift, and removed both rear tires. Visual inspection revealed nothing conclusive; both inner and outer CV joints looked clean. No play in the hubs when rocking tires in and out and back and forth. Rotating one tire (the other spinning the other direction, of course, didn't reveal anything, either. I then swapped the rear tires left-to-right, and "maybe" the sound seemed to move more to the center of the truck, but that could've been my imagination. I then played with rear tire pressure, to see if I could change the noise, and that didn't really seem to make a difference, either.

I think at this point, I'll change the rear diff lube. Any suggestions on fluids, procedure, etc? I've changed the rear gear lube in Ford 8.8" solid axle Mustangs several times; is this the same? I assume I remove the rear diff cover, flush, and clean, RTV the cover, and reassemble, then fill by removing a fill plug somewhere?

Greg
Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
mountaineer02
SLC, UTAH
2002 MONTAINEER

Vehicle Specs

I would also appreciate the advice asked by gbranh. I guess i could just read my haynes manual aswell. if its not under warranty, any thoughts on parts other then OEM?
mountaineer02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
9eye
Kansas City, MO
2002 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbranh View Post
My wife's 2002 Explorer XLT, 4.0L, 4x4 has developed a humming noise from the rear of the truck, concurrent with wheel speed. Putting the tranny in neutral at speed does not make it go away, nor does putting it in 4HI. The tires look fine, and a cursory visual inspection of all 4 rear CV boots suggests that they are in good shape, as well.

The truck has 110,000 on it, and the tranny has recently been given a clean bill of health by a local, trusted tranny shop. I don't believe it's brake-related, but I'll inspect this weekend.

I remember a similar noise on a Saturn VUE we had several years ago. That turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. I wonder if this is the same situation?

Is there a common failure on these trucks with respect to wheel bearings? I've never done anything with the rear IRS on these trucks, so I don't really know where to start looking.

Thanks for you help,

Greg
I am gonna bet on bearings, i personally have 2 2002 explorers (a limited and eddie bauer). Between 100,000 and 130,000 miles i have had to chang all 8 bearings on both vehicles. Before realizing this was such an issue on these vehicles i left the humming noise as a loud diff as some above have noted. Eventually the rear right bearing on the eddie bauer overheated so badly it melted the cv boot right off the axle. The quick boot kit used to replace it was not a perfect fit so now my new project for the week will be replacing the axle assembly for that side that now knocks terribly when accelerating and decelerating, yay. Besides my own humble opinion in other forums i have done searching in it seems to be such a huge problem that people are crying for a recall. Personally they do last over 100,000 miles in most cases i have seen so i am not gonna cry for a recall but it does seem to be a very large scale problem as opposed to the differential. imho
9eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
iBrent
Northborough, MA
2005 Eddie Bauer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eye View Post
I am gonna bet on bearings, i personally have 2 2002 explorers (a limited and eddie bauer). Between 100,000 and 130,000 miles i have had to chang all 8 bearings on both vehicles. Before realizing this was such an issue on these vehicles i left the humming noise as a loud diff as some above have noted. Eventually the rear right bearing on the eddie bauer overheated so badly it melted the cv boot right off the axle. The quick boot kit used to replace it was not a perfect fit so now my new project for the week will be replacing the axle assembly for that side that now knocks terribly when accelerating and decelerating, yay. Besides my own humble opinion in other forums i have done searching in it seems to be such a huge problem that people are crying for a recall. Personally they do last over 100,000 miles in most cases i have seen so i am not gonna cry for a recall but it does seem to be a very large scale problem as opposed to the differential. imho
Wow, you got 100k+ out of your bearings? that's great. My '05 had to have new front bearings at 63k. I was tempted to buy OEM but if they only last 63k then maybe i'll have better luck with aftermarket. I went with Timken bearings from Rock Auto. Haven't had to do the rears yet (knock on wood).

Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
hoss_hanna
ft. smith, ar
91 4x4, 93 XL, 01 mountie

Vehicle Specs

the explorers have been plagued by bearing issues since the first gen in 91, if someone tells me they have noise from a wheel on an ex my knee jerk response is "check the wheel bearings" >.<

Old 05-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #12
jakedrew
wisconsin
04 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had my rear diff make noise at 55k miles. I get up to about 55 mph and you could hear a humming, let off the gas it goes away, give it a little gas and you could hear it.

Took it in (Extended warranty) and they couldnt hear it, but I told them I only hear it after about 10 miles/ fluid gets warmed up. So i took it up and down the freeway and had a tech come with me for a ride and whaa laa rear end making noise.

All better now.

It was a 1100$ job at ford, but i had a 100$ deductable so i got lucky. they put in a new ring and pinion and change to thicker fluid.

Good luck.
jakedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
gbranh

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Fixed

Turned out to be rear passenger side hub bearing. Had it fixed, good as new!

Greg
Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
hoss_hanna
ft. smith, ar
91 4x4, 93 XL, 01 mountie

Vehicle Specs

so my knee jerk was right? lol

Old 05-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
gbranh

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Indeed it was! Thanks for the advice!

Greg
Old 05-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
thepotroast
Asheville, NC
3rd Gen EB 4x4 V8

Vehicle Specs

Quote:

Greg
Exactly as I had predicted in my initial response
Old 08-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #17
Juandedios74
Mulberry, FL
2002 Explorer XLS

Vehicle Specs

Hello All,
Nubie here and I also have an 02 Explorer XLS with 99,318K on it. Everything still factory on it and it too has developed several issues which I have worked on lil by lil to get all the lights off of the panel. My Explorer also makes the humming sound towards the rear of the truck once it reaches a certain speed. Yesterday after a trip 200 mile trip I parked the truck in my garage and noticed that the rear differential was lieaking oil from the bottom of the diff and alos noticed that the truck is making a jerking or stuttering I let off on the gas. I've read the post on this string and was wondering if anyone has an idea on how to repair/replace any of the kits on this truck. Pictures would be great as I'll work on it with my laptop next to me. Any help would be appreciated.
Juandedios74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #18
DVRDOWN
West Palm Beach, FL
'02 XLT Flex Fuel 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:

Greg
Gbranh, did you replace the bearing yourself or have a mechanic do it? If you had it done, what did the job run you? I will be replacing my 4th, yes 4th, right rear bearing on my '02, as well as the left rear and really don't want to tackle the job myself in south florida heat.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #19
Gaff It
Springfield PA
2004 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Gone through the rear diff hum now. Just had a rear axle seal replaced. Soon after, I hear the hum. Plan to take it back to make sure they put enough oil in after the seal replacement. If so, how long do I have before I am faced with a $1500 repair bill. Have 80,000 on the Ex now. It is great shape otherwise.
Gaff It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
CFieldAZ
Chandler, AZ
'03 Bauer

Vehicle Specs

any after market rear diff brands recommended?
CFieldAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page