Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Ford Explorer Sport Trac Forums > 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

Notices

2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac All questions related to the 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac model.

Horn problems on a 2002 Sport Trac.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
trout-fly
vancouver
2002 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Horn problems on a 2002 Sport Trac.

I`m new to the forum,and happy to be here.i`ve been having trouble with the horn,the horn was getting lower in pitch when i was useing the keyless entre,untill it just stopped.it will not work on the steering wheel.the relay was still clicking,,i replaced it anyway ,and still no horn...we took our trailer out for a 2 day trip and when we got out,, i used the keyless and the horn worked,i went back into the car,tried the horn it worked,i got out used the keyless,,,no horn,,i got 3 honks out of it...last week we had friends over,,we went out in the car,,there were 5 of us in it,,,we drove about 125 miles,,when we got out ,,used the keyless the horn worked,,i got in the streering wheel horn worked,,i got out used the keyless it worked again,,,i looked at our friends pressed it again,,didn`t work,,,,the ford dealer said the horns were bad,,,what do you guys think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks keith
trout-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the 2001-2005 Sport Trac section. Make sure that there is no corrosion on the horn's contacts.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #3
Gus Gorilla
The Cradle of Naval Aviation
2001 Sport Trac 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Keith,
Ditto on BrooklynBay's recommendation. Check for corrosion. If you can hear the relay click when the horn is commanded then the cause lies in the power feed side, not the control side. Check for corrosion. If nothing is found then start checking the circuit for chaffing. Because of the instant intermittent change it's most likely going to be a bad connection or corrosion. Usually if it's a circuit it nees something to move the wire around, like bumps, engine vibration, etc.
Gus Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
trout-fly
vancouver
2002 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks you guys,,,i`ve been looking for the horns,but can`t find them. A friend said there up front behind the light. Do i have to remove anything to get at them. When it stops raining i`ll get at it,,and living in vancouver it could been awhile,,,and thanks brooklynbay for getting me into the right area of this site,,,,,,keith
Old 02-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
briandelaney

Vehicle Specs

I had the same issue and just replaced mine last month. The best way to get to them is through the left wheel well. Turn the wheel to the right (or pull the left tire) Remove the wheel well plastic and they should be right under where the battery is. If you buy the horns from Ford they come with all New wiring. Change everything because they get very corroded. Make sure you get both the High and Low Horn.
briandelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
trout-fly
vancouver
2002 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
horn

Thanks brian,,,yesterday i took out the battery and battery holder and found the wire to the horn.i put a light probe on it,one wire,, lights,, when i honk the horn,, the other doesn`t,,i grabed the horn and tried to move it,it moved a bit and i got 1 honk,,i figured the grounding wasn`t very good,i kept tightening the bolt that held the horn in,but it would honk sometimes,,i took the nut right off and the horn droped,,then i couldn`t get it out,,i figured it had to come out by the fender...so brian your post has come at a very good time,,,,thanks again keith
Old 01-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
Beecoach
Fairmont, WV
2004 Sport Trac XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Horn problem

My horn works with the fob but not on the steering wheel
Beecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Check the horn button contacts. Do you have an SRS (air bag) light? If so, then you might have a defective clockspring.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Beecoach
Fairmont, WV
2004 Sport Trac XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No Srs light on. How to check the contacts?
Beecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

The horn buttons are normally open switches which complete a circuit when you press them. A continuity tester will tell you if they are completing the circuit.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page