Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. For Sport Trac and Sport models use the 1995-2001 forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Painting Trim on 02 Ex

Old 02-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
jawillou
Tucson, Arizona
2002 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Painting Trim on 02 Ex

Last weekend i took on the task of painting all the lower trim on my 02 Ex. It was more work than i expected but it turned out pretty well. here are some pics

it was getting dark when i finished so i will try and take some better finished photos this weekend.

02 Ford Explorer 2wd 4.0 V6, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, 245/70R16, Alpine Head unit with ipod, 12" Rockford Fosgate Sub and 1200W amp, repainted trim

Future...more repainted trim, KKM intake?
jawillou is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
DanaM
Columbus
2001 Sport 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Looks good, what did you use to do the job? On my 01 Sport I was going to paint the moldings and bumpers while on the truck.

D a n a

http://www.cardomain.com/id/danam

D a n a
DanaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
jawillou
Tucson, Arizona
2002 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaM View Post
Looks good, what did you use to do the job? On my 01 Sport I was going to paint the moldings and bumpers while on the truck.

D a n a

i used Krylon Fusion spray paint. im curious to see how it will hold up but touch up shouldnt be too hard if i do get some scratches. i took it all off so i wouldn't have to tape off my whole truck and so i could get all the edges and such.

02 Ford Explorer 2wd 4.0 V6, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, 245/70R16, Alpine Head unit with ipod, 12" Rockford Fosgate Sub and 1200W amp, repainted trim

Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
DanaM
Columbus
2001 Sport 4WD

Vehicle Specs

cool, thank you sir!

D an a

http://www.cardomain.com/id/danam

D a n a
DanaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
nice x

Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
animex2
Buffalo, NY
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Looks like what im going to be doing soon. When I was 16 and had my first car, a 92 Ford Taurus, I decided to paint the bumpers red on a white car (dont ask... terrible idea...) and did 2 layers of primer and a 2 layers of krylon fusion... I couldnt get it to scratch off / peel off when I tried without sanding it... I put 2 layers of white paint over it, even the entire car professionally painted black, every time the bumper got a scratch, red showed right up.

So if you do the first layer of paint correctly, it will bond to it like its the color the moldings came out of the factory with.

animex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
elcapitanmas
Coventry Ct
2002 xlt

Vehicle Specs

How hard was it to take off and reattach the moulding? Its the first thing on my list for spring and I was just figuring on taking the time to tape and paper THOROUGHLY. Those fender clips look like a B$tch to get on and off without damage. I too have done exterior painting before, taking the pieces off, sanding, multiple primer coats, sanding, wet sanding, clear coat, and it has come out indestructible. Difference was taking the parts off was MUCH easier than the X
elcapitanmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
jawillou
Tucson, Arizona
2002 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitanmas View Post
How hard was it to take off and reattach the moulding? Its the first thing on my list for spring and I was just figuring on taking the time to tape and paper THOROUGHLY. Those fender clips look like a B$tch to get on and off without damage. I too have done exterior painting before, taking the pieces off, sanding, multiple primer coats, sanding, wet sanding, clear coat, and it has come out indestructible. Difference was taking the parts off was MUCH easier than the X
taking it off wasnt too bad except for the clips in the inner fender wells. I would suggest seeing you can buy new ones just to replace the ones in there and then you can just cut the heads off and pull the old ones out. there is a trick to the other ones and most of them have a V shape so once you figure out how to pinch the two sides they come out rather easily. For the doors i found it pretty easy to just pop off the interior panels and reach in and push the v together and they come right out. let me know if you have a specific questions about any of the panels.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page