• Register Today It's free!

Painting Trim on 02 Ex

jawillou

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Last weekend i took on the task of painting all the lower trim on my 02 Ex. It was more work than i expected but it turned out pretty well. here are some pics

it was getting dark when i finished so i will try and take some better finished photos this weekend.

IMG_1344.jpg

P2130135.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, what did you use to do the job? On my 01 Sport I was going to paint the moldings and bumpers while on the truck.

D a n a

Looks good, what did you use to do the job? On my 01 Sport I was going to paint the moldings and bumpers while on the truck.

D a n a

i used Krylon Fusion spray paint. im curious to see how it will hold up but touch up shouldnt be too hard if i do get some scratches. i took it all off so i wouldn't have to tape off my whole truck and so i could get all the edges and such.

nice x

Looks like what im going to be doing soon. When I was 16 and had my first car, a 92 Ford Taurus, I decided to paint the bumpers red on a white car (dont ask... terrible idea...) and did 2 layers of primer and a 2 layers of krylon fusion... I couldnt get it to scratch off / peel off when I tried without sanding it... I put 2 layers of white paint over it, even the entire car professionally painted black, every time the bumper got a scratch, red showed right up.

So if you do the first layer of paint correctly, it will bond to it like its the color the moldings came out of the factory with.

How hard was it to take off and reattach the moulding? Its the first thing on my list for spring and I was just figuring on taking the time to tape and paper THOROUGHLY. Those fender clips look like a B$tch to get on and off without damage. I too have done exterior painting before, taking the pieces off, sanding, multiple primer coats, sanding, wet sanding, clear coat, and it has come out indestructible. Difference was taking the parts off was MUCH easier than the X

How hard was it to take off and reattach the moulding? Its the first thing on my list for spring and I was just figuring on taking the time to tape and paper THOROUGHLY. Those fender clips look like a B$tch to get on and off without damage. I too have done exterior painting before, taking the pieces off, sanding, multiple primer coats, sanding, wet sanding, clear coat, and it has come out indestructible. Difference was taking the parts off was MUCH easier than the X

taking it off wasnt too bad except for the clips in the inner fender wells. I would suggest seeing you can buy new ones just to replace the ones in there and then you can just cut the heads off and pull the old ones out. there is a trick to the other ones and most of them have a V shape so once you figure out how to pinch the two sides they come out rather easily. For the doors i found it pretty easy to just pop off the interior panels and reach in and push the v together and they come right out. let me know if you have a specific questions about any of the panels.

Back