Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

engine won't turn over--new battery

Old 02-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
metalforsale
md
1999 mercury mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
engine won't turn over--new battery

I have a 1999 mercury mountaineer. It is an automatic with 5.0l eng. 150,000 miles. It has been sitting for 3 months. it ran fine b4 that. I tried to start it but it would not turn over. so I got a new battery. Now, The starter clicks and tries to turn the motor but it sounds like something is keeping the motor from turning over.Seems like I can hear a sound of metal to metal hitting. I banged on the starter with a hammer a few times. I was able to turn the motor with a large ratchet. Any suggestions???

thanks
metalforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
storlied
Anchorage, Alaska
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Put some heet in the gas tank (preferably put in fresh fuel, getting rid of the old), make sure you're getting spark. Maybe the starter has lost most of it's power also?

Can you also tell us what your voltage is looking like while the truck is sitting there, and what does it do when you try to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel903 View Post
These freaken explorers! Everything breaks
Ford: Fixed Or Repaired Daily. But still going, kicking and screaming all the way. =D Yeaaah.
storlied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
metalforsale
md
1999 mercury mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for your reply. The engine won't crank at all. It s almost like the engine is locked up, but i can turn it with a wrench. Never a problem b4 it sat for 3 months. Could the starter be locked up??
metalforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
storlied
Anchorage, Alaska
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's a possibility. Swap in a new starter and see what happens, but not before you do some maintenance ... fluids might need to be changed after 3 months of sitting. And do something about that gas in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel903 View Post
These freaken explorers! Everything breaks
Ford: Fixed Or Repaired Daily. But still going, kicking and screaming all the way. =D Yeaaah.
storlied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Sitting for 3 months

If, as you said, it ran fine three months ago then the only problem now should be battery charge/connection related. You've installed a new battery and I assume cleaned the connections. You can rotate the engine by hand but not with the starter. The starter gear may be stuck against the ring gear. I would disconnect the battery, remove the starter and have it tested. If it passes then clean the electrical connections to the starter before reinstalling it.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
McSlug
Perth Western Australia
98 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Make sure your battery clamps are connected tight. I jump started my friends car the other day then mine wouldn't crank next day. I tightened the clamps and fired fist kick.
If you can turn by hand it has to be charge related. The starter is high drain and with bad connections it will start to engage then stop that is the click sound
McSlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
Lzwo
Tallahassee, FL
1997 Mountaineer 5.0L

Vehicle Specs

+1 on checking the terminal clamps. Been there, done that.

Also, I had a similar problem awhile ago - disconnected, cleaned and reconnected both + and - cables at the battery and starter/grounds. The main cable connection to the starter was so corroded, I'm surprised it ever started. No problems since a good cleaning and tightly reconnected.

You've checked all the fuses, right? Just to make sure you didn't short something while removing the old or putting the new one in? I've (on occasion) been less then dilligent about manhandling the battery/cables, and seen some sparks fly.
Lzwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Lzwo
Tallahassee, FL
1997 Mountaineer 5.0L

Vehicle Specs

+1 on checking the terminal clamps. Been there, done that.

Also, I had a similar problem awhile ago - disconnected, cleaned and reconnected both + and - cables at the battery and starter/grounds. The main cable connection to the starter was so corroded, I'm surprised it ever started. No problems since a good cleaning and tightly reconnected.

You've checked all the fuses, right? Just to make sure you didn't short something while removing the old or putting the new one in? I've (on occasion) been less then dilligent about manhandling the battery/cables, and seen some sparks fly.

And, you're sure the new battery has a charge, yes? I've gotten some from wallyworld before that had a bad cell and/or wouldn't hold a charge. That is frusterating.
Lzwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
P Mark
Birmingham AL

'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

i had same problem try starting in neutral or i would check your gears behind the dash make sure its not slipping out of park

do any of the electronics start?
the 2nd gen explorers have an electronic fuel cut off so try it in neutral and see waht happens

P Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page