• Register Today It's free!

5.0 XLT AWD Conversion to 2WD

holm0299

Reaction score
City, State
St. Paul, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0
Yep, you read that title right. I've searched the sight but couldn't find much info on it. I want to convert my AWD system to a straight 2WD or RWD. I'm tired of breaking front drive shafts and don't want to replace my transfer case. I think the 98 Explorer had a RWD option. How can I do this?!!! Any advice or personal experience would be helpful.

-I've also had the front drive shaft out for over a year. It runs well, but I just want to eliminate the transfer case all together!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need a transmission & drive shaft from a 2wd. Then swap in a 2wd front suspension for your 4wd front susppension.

actually all you need is the transmission tail houseing and output shaft from a 2WD

saying ford did like everyone else

extreme 4x4 did a show on how to convert a 2wd trans to 4wd... its really just the opposite of that

AND you need a tail houseing with a speed sensor, since the transfercase is where the speed is read

parts from a 95-98 F150 SHOULD work but I dont know for sure

and you still need the 2wd explorer driveshaft, and still have a front axle to deal with

yes, the speedo sensor is a problem. not sure how to deal with that. Just curious why I would need to swap out the front suspension. Can't the front diff and CV's just spin without being hooked up?

Also, how about just getting the rear drive shaft lengthened at a shop?

the front assembly can just spin, but this will eat fuel. IMO it is worth the extra work to remove the extra mass, especially the rotating mass

Not to mention that rotating mass will create a drag on slick surfaces.

at the least you need to cut the cv axles into stubs to hold the hubs together, or, get front 2wd spindles and brakes.

I know from experience in the Mounty, a 4wd which is shifted into 2wd gets around worse then a 2wd in snow or ice. This is caused by the additional drag in front not being "driven".

okay it sounds like it could work. Does anyone know of specific Explorers that were 2wd only and had the 5.0 V8? It seems like they would have the same tranny and could be an easy conversion. What years were they made?
Thanks

Ford manufactured a 2WD version of the Mountaineer and Explorer all thru the second gen. (1995-2001). I'm not sure where they put the speed sensor for 2WD trucks for your year. Perhaps it is in the transmission??

Ford manufactured a 2WD version of the Mountaineer and Explorer all thru the second gen. (1995-2001). I'm not sure where they put the speed sensor for 2WD trucks for your year. Perhaps it is in the transmission??

*96-01 and im betting the speed sensor is in the 2WD tail housing

I believe in late 97 ford began using the rear axle ABS sensor for the speedometer. Before then the t-case or output housing held the speedometer components.

I am in the process of doing a 2wd conversion myself. I have spindles from an 03 sport trac but I need to get new rotors and bearings before I swap. For now I am leaving the t-case in place until I figure out what I want to do with the trans.

My options are to buy a used 2wd 4r70w, buy the tail shaft and housing and rebuild my current trans, or do a manual swap. I would like the manual swap just for the added fun factor so we will see. That may be a project for next winter.

I agree with Jon on the handling with all the driveline parts up there, un-driven. It allows the rear tires to break loose so much easier from a stop in rain or snow. That extra resistance makes a difference.

E-Conversion in Progress

First, I would like to say I am a Electrical and Computer engineering student at the University of Missouri. We are currently working on converting an explorer from ICE to all electric. Our goal is to be able to go 100 miles (at least) and still maintain highway speeds. We have thought about just cutting the axels in the front, but would prefer to do it the right way with 2WD components. If possible, could somebody list the parts needed for the conversion of a 1997 Explorer 4.0. From what I understand the parts needed are just the spindles and rotors, is this correct? Thanks for the help and I have been looking on here for a little while, just decided to join today.

E-Conversion in Progress

Love the double post!

I see you live in st. paul, MN, are you sure you wont regret now having a 2wd sled come winter?

or you can do a 4406 swop and just leave out the front drive shaft lol. and remove the front diff and put 2wd spindles on. that i think will be the easy way i think to do itmy swap only took a few hours and simple tools and boomin has a 4406 t case and rear drove shaft he took out of his for sale i think

or you can do a 4406 swop and just leave out the front drive shaft lol. and remove the front diff and put 2wd spindles on. that i think will be the easy way i think to do itmy swap only took a few hours and simple tools and boomin has a 4406 t case and rear drove shaft he took out of his for sale i think

If that's what your going to do you might as well leave the awd case in. It will accomplish the same thing, and save a good chunk of weight too.

If that's what your going to do you might as well leave the awd case in. It will accomplish the same thing, and save a good chunk of weight too.

Take the case apart and remove the chain.

You will need to make provisions for parking though, as the park pin will no longer function. You will need a brake lock, or wheel chocking device to park on a hill.

Well i thought he wanted to get rid of the awd. And the4406 is stronger. It gets rid of the 4404 thet will wear out andslip and leading to power loss. And the 4406 will allow u to put doiierent size tire front to rear and not mess it up. And that front drive shaft will shack your a$$ off when that wears out. It will be so much quicker to do the t case swop.
Sorry im using my phone so my fat fingers hit like 3 buttons at once

My swap is done now but I have not made any changes to the transmission or transfer case. At the moment I am going to rely on my parking brake to keep me still on any hills. lol Needless to say I am still going to avoid parking on the steep ones.

I am going to either do a manual swap, get a 2wd 4r70w, or tear apart my current 4r70w and swap the shaft. The last two options would be the cheapest, but I don't know if I (a) want an auto anymore or (b) trust myself working deeper than the valve body on an auto.

For St.Paul, he will be able to get by with 2wd, but you just have to understand that there will be days during the year when it is just hopeless and you will have to stay at home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, I would like to say I am a Electrical and Computer engineering student at the University of Missouri. We are currently working on converting an explorer from ICE to all electric. Our goal is to be able to go 100 miles (at least) and still maintain highway speeds. We have thought about just cutting the axels in the front, but would prefer to do it the right way with 2WD components. If possible, could somebody list the parts needed for the conversion of a 1997 Explorer 4.0. From what I understand the parts needed are just the spindles and rotors, is this correct? Thanks for the help and I have been looking on here for a little while, just decided to join today.

you're going to want to put your explorer on a diet to make the most out of an electric drivetrain (batteries add the fat back quick especially if you're going the cheaper lead acid route)

we had a left over 3rd gen hybrid at school we were going to strap some left over motors to and make a electric rock crawler out of, but we never got the time and i bet we'd never have gotten the approval. Some one through out the Idea of strapping a leftover 351 in it and make a fast parts getter, lol.

that old hybrid had carbon fenders poly windows chromoly tube frame... a lot of weight savings

Back