• Register Today It's free!

Replaced the disgusting carpet

XLTmodifire

Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT (B4 Autumn Brown)
After purchasing my X, it took less than an hour to decide that the carpet needed cleaning. I purchased a Bissell Pro Heat vacuum in an attempt to pick up most of the stains, and get rid of the oder. This failed attempt lasted for a whole weekend trying to clean this up. After the clean, here is what it still looked like:

100_4529.jpg

cargocarpetleftistaco.jpg

As you can see, this just needed to be replaced. You can almost smell the food, soda, and puke just by looking at the pictures. Not to mention the mold found under the carpet. The cargo area carpet was not too bad. Had oil/grease stains, and some paint stains. I got that cleaned up fairly well, but decided to replace that as well.

During the uninstall, I noticed how the OEM carpet was held on the fold-down panels that lay behind the rear seats. There is plastic sewn onto the edges of the carpet that snap onto the fold-down panels.

cargocarpettacosewnintocarpet.jpg

platethattacowrapsaround.jpg

After finding this, I got concerned and contacted stockinteriors.com where I had purchased the replacement carpet, and asked if these plastic pieces were sewn into the replacement carpet, or if I would have to hire someone to sew the OEM pieces into the replacement pieces. They said that they were not included in the carpet, so found a company here that would do it for me.

It was pleasant to have received the carpet one day earlier than scheduled, as well as to find that there were plastic pieces sewn into the carpet already. The pieces were clearly not up to par to the OEM plastic pieces, however they did do the job, and I was very happy the company were incorrect with their information.

The install went very well. Was fairly easy. Only thing I did not find pleasing during the installation was the transmission hump pre-mold is a bit wider than the actual hump. Other than that, it went just fine. Took about 3 hours from trimming the excess off the replacement carpet to tightening the last seat bolt.

DSCI2375.jpg

DSCI2374.jpg

DSCI2376.jpg

From this experience, I was also able to clean up all trim and panels, the center console, and all seat posts since they were all covered in (fill in the blank) sticky substance.

I am still waiting on the cleaner seat belts to come in to replace these that are stained, and I am now looking into reconditioning as well as re-staining these leather seats.

I hope my post and experience may help anyone looking into doing this. Here is the truck. The only thing I have changed was moving the exhaust tip up closer to a more stock position rather than looking like a bee stinger, and tying up the tow harness as in the picture, you can see it hanging down.

snowandexplorer014.jpg
snowandexplorer020.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Big improvement!

Slick!

Is that the same color as stock, looks a bit dark.

Big improvement!
Thank you sir.

Slick!

Is that the same color as stock, looks a bit dark.
It appears that the cargo area OEM carpet is slightly lighter in color from the passenger area. So yes it is the same color as the passenger area, however just a few shades darker than the cargo area as you may notice from the carpet on the backs of the seats.

If I was to do this again, I would purchase the "Medium Beige" for the passenger area, and "Medium Doeskin", or "Antelope" for the cargo area. To be safe however, you are able to request carpet samples to be sent to you prior to your order to confirm which color would be best.

Thanks for the replies.

That looks real good!

Sorry to get off topic but im curious as to what you replaced your radio with? Is that a touch screen stereo or dvd player?

Hey, thanks!

Yea, no problem. It is a cheap XOvision touch screen Radio/TV/CD/DVD player. For how cheap it is, it really is a great radio. I also have the matching 12.1" LCD drop down for the back seats.

Thanks for the reply. Highly appreciate it.

wow, that makes a HUGE difference!! what company did you get it thru, if i might ask?? My carpet looks like yours did, and I'm almost thinking of skipping the shampooer and going straight to replacement!

looks good!

Thank you for the kind words!

I ordered it from stockinteriors.com. Here is the link you will want:
http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=2595&MakeId=34&ModelId=225

If you have tan interior, I would advise doing as I had suggested by ordering (for free) carpet samples to confirm color.

The cost was only 230.00 shipped! This by far has been, and will be my best deal for this rig.

Hey, thanks!

Yea, no problem. It is a cheap XOvision touch screen Radio/TV/CD/DVD player. For how cheap it is, it really is a great radio. I also have the matching 12.1" LCD drop down for the back seats.

Thanks for the reply. Highly appreciate it.

Nice. It looks good and fits the space quite nicely. Where did you happen to find yours? Does it do good playing dvd's?

These items were installed by the previous owner. Yes, the DVD function works perfect. The remote and touch screen work perfect as well when playing movies. I am not sure how much the head unit originally was when purchased. I am basing my opinion on price solely on the price of the drop down.

Here is some information I found real fast for you regarding the head unit:
http://www.productwiki.com/xovision-xod1737/

Here is the 12.1" drop down:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/XOVision-12.1-Color-TFT-LCD-Monitor-GX1238/10055551

It appears that the drop down is still available, however the 1737 head unit is no longer available, and the next available model is the 1750 for 197.00.

I hope this information helps you out. If you need any further details, let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks i appreciate it. I will shop around by the unit name that you gave me.

Very nice work! Got me thinking now...

Bissell is a few miles from my house- want me to toss the steamer through the windows of their World Headquarters for ya? :)

Stanley Steemer did mine looks like new!

Wow, cool thread and nice Ex. My carpet is nasty fro the previous owners. I have wanted to replace it, never anything good on Craiglist or Ebay. I spent a weekend doing the store bought canned shampoos and scrubbing it with a dawn soap / water / vinegar solution. It still looks like crap although I know it is clean. Now I know i have other options thanks to this post.

Hey Dana. I am glad to hear the thread helped out. The direct link to the explorer's carpet is here: http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=2595&MakeId=34&ModelId=225

If you have tan interior, I would suggest getting medium beige for the passenger area, and getting a lighter tan color for the cargo area to match the carpet color on the back of the rear seats.

The cost for the passenger area and cargo area was 230.00 shipped.

If you have any further questions, let me know and I will be glad to help.

Very nice work! Got me thinking now...

Bissell is a few miles from my house- want me to toss the steamer through the windows of their World Headquarters for ya? :)

Haha! Thanks for wanting to help contribute. :D
Naw, I think we will keep it for now in case we will need it for the other cars and/or house. LOL

Stanley Steemer did mine looks like new!

Hmm, I don't believe that was an option. The Bissell did a very good job, however the job was just too much for it. When I was finished, the carpet looked cleaner, however it was sticky, and the smell was HORRIDNESS! Besides, if it did clean it up to my satisfaction, I never would have known about the mold underneath the carpet. YUCK! :thumbdwn:

yea mold no good! But the new kit looks great

Back