Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

2nd Blower Motor Resistor burnt out...

Old 03-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
scottswierenga
Omaha, Nebraska
'93 XLT 4dr.

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Angry 2nd Blower Motor Resistor burnt out...

Just maybe 2-3 weeks after the replacement, the brand new resistor blew again and now I'm back to only Hi on the selector for air flow.

I'm guessing there may be more leaf bits in there, but this time there was no hint of smoke, or the smell. Where do I go from here? I plan on working on this again in a few days and wanted to know any tips or tricks you might know to remove ALL the debris in the box around the (heater core?), or anything else you could shed light on for me.

I tried vacuuming out all the crap but this did me no good since the hose end of the shop vac was too big, so I duct taped on the Crevis Tool from the Dirt Devil. The smaller tip helped "a little", but not enough to write home about, it was still too darn big to have much effectiveness. I need something small and very flexible, but I don't think I could get effective suction from the sturdy plastic "water bottle bendy straw" I found in the kitchen

How would YOU get this done???
scottswierenga is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
jwv3
Delaware
92 xlt

Vehicle Specs

I changed mine and also noticed the pack of leaves in the lower front corner just below the resistor pack. I just pulled as much out by hand as I could. I really wonder how the big leaf pieces got in there since the cowl openings are small holes???

Since I changed mine, I don't use the lowest setting. I figure that might help since the slowest fan speed means the resistor(s) are dissipating the most power.
jwv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
scottswierenga
Omaha, Nebraska
'93 XLT 4dr.

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I can understand not chancing a second "burn-out" by avoiding the use of the Low setting, but this Resistor should have lasted MUCH longer than it did.

Does anyone have any ideas of what else (other than leaves) might cause the second Resistor to have gone bad so quickly?
scottswierenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
safn1949
Mankato, Minnesota
M60A1 my first offroader

Vehicle Specs

Replace the blower motor,it's probably is drawing too many amps.

safn1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
TedJ
Fair Lawn, NJ
'94 Sport

Vehicle Specs

It could be a funky motor. I would pull it and you can see more of the system inside and feel how the bearings are in it too. Also check the wiring connector for any kind of discoloration on the resistor pack. If it looks funky you could have a high resistance connection there which is heating up and doing all kinds of weird stuff.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page