Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

ABS Light is on constantly

Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Katman96
Middlefield,CT
1999 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
US ABS Light is on constantly

What would cause the ABS light to be on continuously? Does that mean the ABS unit is engaging the ABS brakes whenever I press the pedal? Thanks..
Katman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Beastb15
Kansas City, Missouri

'04 EB

Vehicle Specs

It more than likely means your ABS sensors need to be replaced. I had the same problem a month back as well as my 4x4 light flashing. 2 ABS sensors later and the problem was fixed.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Katman96
Middlefield,CT
1999 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
So there is no way to tell which sensor is bad?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Your profile says you have a 91, but this is in the 95-01 2nd gen forum.

If your truck is a 2nd gen, this may be a sign your hubs are going out.
Turdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
Katman96
Middlefield,CT
1999 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Sorry I have to update that, this is a 1999 AWD. How would I test the hubs, sorry for my ignorance..
Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Electrohacker
Clinton Twp, MI
'96 XLT V8 4WD

Vehicle Specs

lift your front end and spin the wheels by hand and feel any roughness, this mean you need new hubs. if it is the ABS sensor alone then you need at least one sensor and swap it in one side and se it the error goes away, if not then put it on the other side, if not then you might try a rear sensor too or add a second front. keep you receipts if at this point you need to return any of them

my truck's build up (in progress)
Electrohacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Also grab the tire at 6 and 12 oclock and try to wiggle it, it should not move at all. If there is movement it probably is a bad bearing in the hub
Old 03-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
Katman96
Middlefield,CT
1999 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks guys, Ill check this out this weekend..
Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katman96 View Post
Thanks guys, Ill check this out this weekend..
I recommend you check it tonight. Jack up the front and and try to move the top and bottom of the tire "outwards"

If a bearing is going out and allowing enough wobble to activate the abs sensor-( I have seen it often) it is soon to go out on you. This could be catastrophic. Imagine a front wheel locking up at 70 mph while a big truck is right next to you. It will rip off your entire knuckle and throw you at the mercy of inertia.

If this sounds scary, it is meant to --

Want to see pictures of a neglected hub and what it can cause? I would have to dig but I can find it if needed.

Last 2 friends who came by with abs lights had bad hubs. One of them fell into 2 parts when we pulled it, and he had the truck towed here. The only symptom was an ABS light.

Now I probably won't sleep until you check your hubs, and I am very tired. Please have some consideration--
Old 03-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

In this thread there is a picture of the abs connector near the fog light connectors--under radiator support

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=165429

Hopefully there is a bad connection there. You might try re seating these connectors, but please check the hubs also.

Sensors themselves rarely go bad. But they do a good job of letting you know something is not "just right"
Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ht=hub+knuckle

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ht=hub+knuckle
Old 03-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
RangRayy
Suburbia Hell Missouri
'99 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

he is correct. i had an ABS light come on and off until Jully 3 2009..... luckily i was pulling into a driveway when the X completely stopped. wouldnt move. checked and sure enough the bearing had gone out. everything broke there wasnt a single piece that was together. its an easy fix take ya about an hour max to do. ask him about a trick to do it farily easy.

"its not a jeep thing, youre just retarded"
RangRayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
Vargas
Seattle, WA
'94 EB & two '00 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katman96 View Post
What would cause the ABS light to be on continuously? Does that mean the ABS unit is engaging the ABS brakes whenever I press the pedal? Thanks..
In answer your original question -

When the yellow ABS light stays on, it means the ABS brain detected a problem in the system. When the light is on, the ABS system will not engage - brakes will work as if vehicle was not equipped with ABS.

The light should come on for a couple of seconds when you start the engine. When the start-up diagnostic test is passed, the light will go out. Since you said it is on all the time, I am guessing that you mean it turns on when you start the engine and stays on until you stop the engine. That means it is not passing the start test.

The fact that it fails the start test should limit the likely causes. I don't know if the common hub problem would be detected until the vehicle is moving. I'd focus on examining for basic electrical problems first. Fuses, relays, loose/dirty connections, chafed wires. It might be worth it to have the fault code(s) read by a shop.
Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
RangRayy
Suburbia Hell Missouri
'99 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

tis true but dont forget that all the ABS sensor is is a magnetic piece. i my case metal shavings from the bearing tearing apart caused my light to come on. so could still be the problem. but yes check everything.

"its not a jeep thing, youre just retarded"
RangRayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
kriscory69
pine grove, pa
02 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

i have the same problem with an 02 explorer, had the hub assembly replaced, just replaced all the brakes, rotors etc. now the brakes randomly don't work, mechanic can't find out what is wrong, any ideas? my abs light is always on,it was good for about 3 days after hub asembly replaced then popped back on one day. I have had this to 4 different mechanics and no one can see the problem, the computer doesnt read the sensor as being something wrong, I have 4 kids and am scared to drive for brakes failing ...please help@!
kriscory69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
96eb96
Albany, NY
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriscory69 View Post
i have the same problem with an 02 explorer, had the hub assembly replaced, just replaced all the brakes, rotors etc. now the brakes randomly don't work, mechanic can't find out what is wrong, any ideas? my abs light is always on,it was good for about 3 days after hub asembly replaced then popped back on one day. I have had this to 4 different mechanics and no one can see the problem, the computer doesnt read the sensor as being something wrong, I have 4 kids and am scared to drive for brakes failing ...please help@!
If the ABS light is on the best thing is to get the system scanned. Otherwise you are guessing. An ABS light means a code is stored in the system. Bring it to a mechanic that has a good scanner and can read ABS codes.
96eb96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page